Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zoidberg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 am 

Read this post before you start to whine.

I'm kinda confused about that "Nu-metal" bands don't exist in this site. Actually I don't even understand why they aren't here.

I know people (usually under 18 years old) who claim that nu-metal is un-metal or something like that, anyways it isn't metal in their opinion. Well, I disagree. I think they should be in these site, because this is METAL ARCHIVES, and that contains every single metal genres.

Seriously, if you say that nu-metal isn't metal because it has hip hop influences or electronic influences ect, think about some folk metal band. HOW can a folk metal band be a metal band then? It contains folk music. Or industrial metal band, it contains industrial music. Why folk- and industrial metal genres are here then? They should be erazed too, if nu-metal isn't here.

I understand if some teenage-just-started-to-listen-real-heavy-metal dude says that nu-metal isn't true metal. It is part of growing up ;). I guess that the site owners aren't anymore teenagers. I think that they would understand the point of metal genres. There are many of them, but every one of them are metal.

The bands that I think should be here are Slipknot, which has death metal influences and they aren't nu-metal anymore (I agree they have some shitty hard rock songs too, but they are a metal group), and Soulfly, their first few albums are nu-metal, but if you listen the last two albums, you can definitely recognize it's thrash metal. The bands that you shouldn't add here are Korn, which is hard rock in my opinion, or Limb (or Limp I dunno) Bizkit, which has nothing to do with metal.

So I hope you understood something about my "bad english" arguement :). Anyway, as a summary I think that nu-metal is as metal as folk- or industrial metal.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:35 am 

Zoidberg wrote:
Read this post before you start to whine.

I'm kinda confused about that "Nu-metal" bands don't exist in this site. Actually I don't even understand why they aren't here.

I know people (usually under 18 years old) who claim that nu-metal is un-metal or something like that, anyways it isn't metal in their opinion. Well, I disagree. I think they should be in these site, because this is METAL ARCHIVES, and that contains every single metal genres.

Seriously, if you say that nu-metal isn't metal because it has hip hop influences or electronic influences ect, think about some folk metal band. HOW can a folk metal band be a metal band then? It contains folk music. Or industrial metal band, it contains industrial music. Why folk- and industrial metal genres are here then? They should be erazed too, if nu-metal isn't here.

I understand if some teenage-just-started-to-listen-real-heavy-metal dude says that nu-metal isn't true metal. It is part of growing up ;). I guess that the site owners aren't anymore teenagers. I think that they would understand the point of metal genres. There are many of them, but every one of them are metal.

The bands that I think should be here are Slipknot, which has death metal influences and they aren't nu-metal anymore (I agree they have some shitty hard rock songs too, but they are a metal group), and Soulfly, their first few albums are nu-metal, but if you listen the last two albums, you can definitely recognize it's thrash metal. The bands that you shouldn't add here are Korn, which is hard rock in my opinion, or Limb (or Limp I dunno) Bizkit, which has nothing to do with metal.

So I hope you understood something about my "bad english" arguement :). Anyway, as a summary I think that nu-metal is as metal as folk- or industrial metal.

Some people would agree with you. Unfortunatley for you, none of them run this site.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:58 am 

Zoidberg wrote:
Seriously, if you say that nu-metal isn't metal because it has hip hop influences or electronic influences ect, think about some folk metal band.

I'm sorry, but this is not why nu-metal is not metal, and hence your argument doesn't actually make a tap of sense. It's not a type of metal with strange influences; it's just plain not a type of metal.

Also, what's this thing of saying that only kids who are new to metal think nu-metal isn't metal? In my experience that's the exact opposite of the truth.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:48 am 

Folk metal and (when the term is properly applied) industrial metal are here because they use metal riffs along with their outside influences. So-called nu-metal and ill-classified "industrial metal" (Rammstein and their ilk are often called that) seldom use metal-style riffs, being far more grounded in modern rock and hardcore, hence they are not considered metal for the site's purposes.

There you go.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:58 pm 

HB, you're forum skills are a bit rusty, generally you lock the thread after such comments (unless you're waiting for Gaunt to make one of his magnificent lock posts, in which case I don't blame you). ;)

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:00 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
(unless you're waiting for Gaunt to make one of his magnificent lock posts, in which case I don't blame you). ;)

Nightgaunt wouldn't need the thread to be open to post in it, dummy. :P

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
(unless you're waiting for Gaunt to make one of his magnificent lock posts, in which case I don't blame you). ;)

Nightgaunt wouldn't need the thread to be open to post in it, dummy. :P

Yeah but if it was already locked, he wouldn't see the need for such a post, as it would be overkill.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.