Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mikedaemnez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:29 pm 

:D that's it,
bye!

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:05 pm 

No, the official forum language is English. No changes are planned.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:19 pm 

A while ago we had versions of the Free-For-All thread in other languages, but it didn't catch on and all such threads died after a short while. So, don't get your hopes up about anything like that ever happening again.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:23 pm 

What would be the harm in having someone post a thread in Spanish? Is there a sense of Hispaniphobia going on? It's like this, "this is an English speaking site ONLY!!" type policy that makes me wonder about the ethnocentric aura among us Americans, Canadians and Brits.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:46 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
What would be the harm in having someone post a thread in Spanish? Is there a sense of Hispaniphobia going on? It's like this, "this is an English speaking site ONLY!!" type policy that makes me wonder about the ethnocentric aura among us Americans, Canadians and Brits.

Because the mods might not speak Spanish(hence there could be inappropriate discussions), and there is no need to have other languages in the thread that would make 90%+ of the users not being able to be a part of it. Everyone here knows English at least, therefore everyone can take part of the discussions.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:56 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Because the mods might not speak Spanish(hence there could be inappropriate discussions), and there is no need to have other languages in the thread that would make 90%+ of the users not being able to be a part of it. Everyone here knows English at least, therefore everyone can take part of the discussions.

Yes. Also, there is no need for such an area, because there is nothing to stop folks who want to discuss metal in Spanish from, you know, going to a Spanish-speaking metal forum.

Also, what's so ethnocentric about choosing a language and sticking to it? It's no different to deciding that the database is going to feature metal and not hard rock, or deciding that users spamming pictures of their genitals should be banned. It's also a much more consistent and ultimately simpler way of doing things. There's no conspiracy here.

I could go on, but I would hope it's not necessary. Just think it through.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

English isn't my mother tongue and I fully agree with the english-only policy. That's the only way to keep the forum truly international.

Btw, Morrigan and Hellblazer are french-speaking canadians.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:21 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

English isn't my mother tongue and I fully agree with the english-only policy. That's the only way to keep the forum truly international.

Btw, Morrigan and Hellblazer are french-speaking canadians.

They're from Quebec so they probably speak it but only as a second language most likely because French speakers loathe the presumption that English must be spoken. And as for "keeping it international" with English, I don't know why. Just because the British Empire was once so powerful? I think there are some now who had wished Hitler would have taken Britain because then the most metal language could be used for an int'l metal forum. Think so?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.