Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 153339
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:51 pm 

Scenario:

You see an individual trying to submit a band and you realize it's been rejected. They complain, but come out of the argument happy because they now have proof that an album exists or they proved a genre is metal or whatever, but they can resubmit the band.

With a fast swoop, you add the band that was previously rejected with all the complete information before they get a chance too. They can no longer submit the band because you, in a sense, "stole the submission".

This may also occur if you saw the band in the queue and knew deep in your heart that it was not going to be accepted (by lack of information, a band acceptable by its genre) but you saved the page and waited for it to be rejected before you resubmitted the band with all the necessary information.

-----------END OF SCENARIO------------

Is this act frowned upon? It seems a little bit "sketchy" and "mischevious" to say the least but I was wondering if it could actually be considered as an offense as the second person takes the credit for something they didn't really contribute to. It's taking someone else's efforts and research and topping it up a little bit to make it "acceptable". As well as the user perhaps may want to resubmit the band later to find out their submission has been, in a sense, stolen.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:10 pm 

I'm no mod, but I'm guessing this would depend upon the specifics of the scenario.

Either it's:

1. I see band in band queue that's not going to make it because something is missing from the submission/I see a complaint in that sticky-thread where the user is told what he/she needs to do, but has yet to deliver that.
2. I track down the necessary info and make my own submission, which is accepted.

This I believe is not frowned upon, since in this case I have gone through some work to make a more complete submission than the other user and therefore I am more worthy of the points.

Or, it's:

1. The other user fails somehow, but then produces the necessary information. I have thus done nothing.
2. I submitt the band before the other user gets a chance to, using the proof that the other user provided. I have thus done nothing except take the other user's info.

This might be consicered to be point-whoring, since I'm in this case obviously only doing this to get the points for that submission (the other user is going to submit it anyway), whereas I in the other scenario could be doing it just because I feel that the band deserves a place here that the other user failed to give it, and as such I am doing it to improve MA.

I don't know, but I suspect that if there was proof of somebody doing the second scenario on a regular basis something would be done about it, while I seriously can't see anything wrong with the first scenario at all.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:46 pm 

imagine it is the first submission you do and errors are therefore likely, then what would you think if someone 'steals' your submission?

I had been contacted several times by users to submit bands that have been rejected before. So, to some this 'band issue' does not seem to be a big deal; to others it is somehow important.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:20 am 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
This I believe is not frowned upon, since in this case I have gone through some work to make a more complete submission than the other user and therefore I am more worthy of the points.

But it could be argued that without the information gathered by the original submitter, you would have been unable to find the information necessary to make an acceptable submission.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:32 am 

Who cares? If the original submitter never had the information in the first place, they should not have submitted it. They should have found out the necessary information or waited to submit the band.

If someone else has the necessary information and they submit it, then good for them. They correctly submitted the band and added to the archives.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:47 pm 

We have little concern for matters such as this, and we do not recognize "ownership" of a given band interest. If there are two submissions of the same band in the queue at the same time, some mods will default to the earlier submission; I personally prefer to accept the better submission (meaning the one that is neatest and/or most complete/thorough), regardless of whether it was submitted first or second (or third, etc.).

The surest way to prevent having one's submission "stolen" (or passed over in favor of a competing submission) is to do it right the first time around.

The other variation of this situation involves seeing acceptance of a band that one had submitted some time ago with the same body of evidence but that had been rejected for not being sufficiently metal. This is a frustration for which, were I the sympathizing type, I might have slightly more sympathy; but it is an unavoidable eventuality, and a natural consequence of the Archive becoming more permissive in regards to certain musical styles over time.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Reply to topic