Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:02 am 

After I tried submitting my band, it was rejected and the reason basically was because they couldn't find enough information on it anywhere to prove that it actually exists, when in fact it does. Pretty stupid if you ask me, as the band is not promoted online at all and the tapes are given away to friends and local metal heads. So I guess if a band does not feel the need to promote themselves online and shove their music down people's throats though myspace, that means their non-existent, eh? Bullshit. Anyone have any suggestions to get them to accept it upon resubmission? I'd like it if it were on the archives for reference and all but I just don't feel the need to myspace it like all the false bands out there today. Thanks in advance...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 am 

Your frustration is a bit misdirected. Our policies are in place as preventive measures to people who try to sabotage the site on a weekly basis.

We don't know if your band exists or not, so it's up to the submitee to provide sufficient evidence to their existence. If this was not the case and we accepted just any band or album that's submitted to the site, it would be flooded to the brim with fake information.

You may not agree with it but this is how we operate.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:19 am 

Yeah, I see where your coming from and I won't argue or disagree with that, as I can only imagine how many idiots try to screw around on here. Sucks too, because I actually have no proof aside from sending out a physical demo tape or at least a good picture of it. Should I even bother trying to re-submit it or will it just result in massive point loss and a possible suspension?

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:22 am 

Simply believing what we are told would be truly stupid; perhaps it has never occurred to you that there are many people who, through ignorance or dishonesty, submit bands which, if not entirely fake, do not meet the minimum release requirements (e.g. at least one physical, publically-distributed, metal release); for these and other reasons, we have come to require that bands prove that they have some existence outside of downloads on the internet on one hand, or of burned CD-rs given to the kids in shop class and to family members as cost-effective birthday presents on the other. This in no way requires an online presence, though having one is often convenient for this end--contrary to what your fragile ego may lead you to believe, bands that do have online presences are subject to the same "trial of proof" as you were (simply having a MySpace or similar social networking presence does not itself necessarily satisfy this requirement). In your situation, the most direct method of proof would be to provide photographs of one of your tapes in the submission; other viable alternatives for bands with no online presence include scans of sections from paper zines which mention the release (simply mentioning the band's name does not suffice) or online reviews (not hosted or sponsored by the band) which mention the release, scans of promotional fliers, etc.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:29 am 

whiplash50 wrote:
Yeah, I see where your coming from and I won't argue or disagree with that, as I can only imagine how many idiots try to screw around on here. Sucks too, because I actually have no proof aside from sending out a physical demo tape or at least a good picture of it. Should I even bother trying to re-submit it or will it just result in massive point loss and a possible suspension?

I mean, if you can get some pictoral evidence of these tapes, and samples to judge the band's metal validity, then that would be the way to go about it. It's unfortunate that some legit bands may get left out due to this, but it is entirely worth the small sacrifice to avoid the scenario that would plague us if we did not.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:34 am 

Nightgaunt wrote:
Simply believing what we are told would be truly stupid; perhaps it has never occurred to you that there are many people who, through ignorance or dishonesty, submit bands which, if not entirely fake, do not meet the minimum release requirements (e.g. at least one physical, publically-distributed, metal release); for these and other reasons, we have come to require that bands prove that they have some existence outside of downloads on the internet on one hand, or of burned CD-rs given to the kids in shop class and to family members as cost-effective birthday presents on the other. This in no way requires an online presence, though having one is often convenient for this end--contrary to what your fragile ego may lead you to believe, bands that do have online presences are subject to the same "trial of proof" as you were (simply having a MySpace or similar social networking presence does not itself necessarily satisfy this requirement). In your situation, the most direct method of proof would be to provide photographs of one of your tapes in the submission; other viable alternatives for bands with no online presence include scans of sections from paper zines which mention the release (simply mentioning the band's name does not suffice) or online reviews (not hosted or sponsored by the band) which mention the release, scans of promotional fliers, etc.

Well, I just made it clear in my previous post that I understand all this and it has "occurred" to me, seeing as it's a quite obvious assumption to make that the site would be flooded with false nonsense just as any other site is, and would be, that allows it's users to submit information at their own discretion. And this "ego" you mentioned is one alive only in your head I believe, as I simply meant I don't feel like promoting the music to anyone and their grandmother, just people who can appreciate it. Well, I suppose I will try giving pictures and any other miscellaneous info I have on it upon re-submission as you suggested.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:34 am 

rexxz wrote:
whiplash50 wrote:

I mean, if you can get some pictoral evidence of these tapes, and samples to judge the band's metal validity, then that would be the way to go about it. It's unfortunate that some legit bands may get left out due to this, but it is entirely worth the small sacrifice to avoid the scenario that would plague us if we did not.

Understandable, I'll just try that after I've gathered all the necessary info...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:49 am 

whiplash50 wrote:
Well, I just made it clear in my previous post that I understand all this and it has "occurred" to me,

He probably started to write his post before you posted yours. Look at the time stamps.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 pm 

One other small thing I was wondering is, when I re-submit, should I just include links to the photos? Seeing as there is nowhere to include this stuff as it's just a matter of filling in all the required fields (band name, location, genre, etc...) I was wondering how I should go about that?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:08 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
One other small thing I was wondering is, when I re-submit, should I just include links to the photos? Seeing as there is nowhere to include this stuff as it's just a matter of filling in all the required fields (band name, location, genre, etc...) I was wondering how I should go about that?

use the report function after you have submitted the band.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:21 pm 

Thanks

Reply to topic