Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:40 am 

Basically, I just wanted to suggest 3 (very well-known) bands for inclusion, which have been rejected before.

Soulfly
Swans
Agoraphobic Nosebleed

Surely, both Soulfly and Agoraphobic Nosebleed should at least be accepted under the "Side-project" clause, where Side Projects are accepted, regardless of style, as long as they are relevant to the Metal scene. If a band such as Mortiis can be accepted, then surely Soulfly, a band who is far more metal can be accepted too. Soulfly may have started out as nu-metal, but it's all gone now by Dark Ages and Conquer, they're just as Metal as Cavalera Conspiracy, who were included on the basis that they were a Sepultura side-project who were metal enough.

The argument that they are too World Music-y is null and void too. Sure, Soulfly experiment but so do Burzum and Ulver and if a band like Ulver can be accepted then why not Soulfly, who are far more involved in the Metal Scene, play gigs with Metal bands, have guest spots from members of Slayer and Morbid Angel and are regularly in contact with members of the Metal scene? Is it really just a case of Soulfly not being kvlt enough, and you're all just stubborn?

Swans should be included on the principle that they have been a huge influence on the Metal scene, although not necessarily involved in the Metal scene (Although Jarboe has collaborated with Cobalt, Jesu and Neurosis). Bands such as Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer have an obvious debt to Swans.

ANb, I agree, are a thorny issue as to whether they're actually Metal enough or if they fall into the trap of Grind/Noise. Maybe it's just my opinion on the matter, and yours all differs from mine (Hell, I think Derrick Green Seps is not bad), but I feel they should be included.

Swans and ANb aren't dead-certs, but the lack of Soulfly is a fucking travesty, especially when you consider bands on MA such as Five Finger Death Punch and Bring Me The Horizon.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 am 

Swans will never be included, because they were never really metal musically. Forget it once and for all.
No band will get included just for being a dubious influence, all bands expect for side projects have to be metal.
Read the rules, you will find that you have absolutely no right to make such absurd demands.

The side project rule does not speak about influence, read it again, It speaks about side project of metal musicians.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed are grindcore, not enough metal based and as such they will not be accepted either.
Soufly are not a side project - again, the definition.

They could be accepted only based on a metal album alone, but last time they were proposed they were rejected by Morrigan personally. If they have a new album that is metal, them you can try it in the appropriate thread.
Ulver have some metal albums, so their non-metal stuff does not interest us.
Cavalera Cospiracy were accepted, bercause they are metal enough, not because of the side project rule.

You have joined in 2006 so you had plenty of time to read and comprehend the written guidelines.

Educate yourself.

- Side-projects are a big debate. When does a band stop being one and starts being a full-time band? What's the difference between a solo career and a side-project, etc. Now, a side-project is a band started in parallel to another band. This is not the same thing as a band member leaving a band and forming a new one, or to join another band! For example, Soulfly is no more a side-project of Max Cavalera as Voivod is a side-project of Jason Newsted.
One might argue that a band can start as such but can stop being one if the main band splits-up. Or that while it's reasonable to have Wongraven or Chaostar, that a country band started by a Flotsam & Jetsam member would simply look out of place on a metal site. Our answer is that we have no choice but to go with a case by case approach. It might be a little arbitrary, but it's hard to define a rule that will apply for every case of a non-metal side-project. Yes, that might mean you'll have to ask us before submitting this guy's side-project. Usually there shouldn't be any problem, but if the side-project really has nothing to do with the heavy metal scene and/or would really look out of place here, chances are, it won't be accepted.
- Additionally, there will be some non-metal bands featured on the site that we feel are still part of the metal scene despite not being metal themselves (usually darkwave, ambient, neo-classical and/or folk bands, examples being Mortiis, Elend, Autumn Tears, Stille Volk, etc). These bands are selected by the moderators in an admittedly arbitrary fashion, and their submission by normal users is discouraged. Please bear with us on this.
--
The last paragraph means , that certain bands like Mortiis were selected by the site staff. Users, however, have no right to propose non-metal bands to be included here.
Again:
For example, Soulfly is no more a side-project of Max Cavalera as Voivod is a side-project of Jason Newsted.

Again. you have joined in 2006. Should I consider it to be a provocation or a case of total ignorance?

LOCK please.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.