Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:07 am 

I have noticed from the reports, that it is a persistent problem.

So once and for all - the additional notes do not serve as a band's personal newsblog. It should be used typically for a long lasting, timeless info related to the band's biography and/or musical endeavours. The info should be neutral, too.
Stuff that does not belong there:
Band is working on a new album....
Band is in the studio..
We are true underground, satanic hails...
Our next gig will be..
The release party will be...
Our music is a supreme art...
Our new album will be released in October, the release date is...
Upcoming releases: (list of releases)
We have a new guitarist/vocalist...(report line-up changes using the proper function!!!)

---
The more experienced users can help by reporting every case of something like that they will see on the bandpages, if they are veterans and see this, they can delete it without mercy.
If you notice, that some users add such info repeatedly and on a larger number of bands, report them in the point whoring thread, since that behaviour is just exactly pointwhoring - adding worthless ingo and getting rewards for it.
Thanks to all who will cooperate.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:01 pm 

I'd say that a band working on a new album could be put in the notes...

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

No, that is absolutely worthless.
The album can be added normally, when it will be out.
Furthermore, the additional notes here are only for a longer lasting info, the pages here should not supplement shitty myspace newsblog.
The site is encyclopaedic in nature and as such, has certain resctrictions and another purpose than a news agency as Blabbermouth or a band's blog.

Berghof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:11 am 

Witcher wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

No, that is absolutely worthless.
The album can be added normally, when it will be out.
Furthermore, the additional notes here are only for a longer lasting info, the pages here should not supplement shitty myspace newsblog.
The site is encyclopaedic in nature and as such, has certain resctrictions and another purpose than a news agency as Blabbermouth or a band's blog.

I would not go so far to call it "worthless". I have found use in it before as I dont have to visit other websites to learn what certain artist are doing.

Now if it is allowed or against the rules and what not is an entirely different point.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:37 am 

It is not allowed. The purpose of this site is another. You can go to the band's official page for news.
The information here should be long lasting and about finished, released produts and band's official discography. line-up and status (active or not).
It is worthless for the site for the reasons I have explained above.
You will not see in a printed metal encyclopaedia, that a band has entered the studio to record their next album either.
The additional notes can be used for neutral, short bio, but not temporary blog-like newsflashes.

From the Help section:
Additional notes: Enter any additional information here. A mini-biography, a precision, a former name, anything relevant. You can also include something like "See also band X" if they are in some way related. For example, write "See also King Diamond" in the notes for Mercyful Fate (you should also use the link syntax to link to other pages on this site) DO NOT add a hugely detailed biography, an external link or a discography here!
---
Unfortunately, there are some bands with demos in additional notes, but that is only because we do not know the exact tracklisting and of course not ideal.
Otherwise, you can see that there is nothing about current band new or anything like that.

From the rules section:
Additional notes

Be reasonable for the data you enter in the additional notes. It clearly says "no personal opinions", yet we still see submissions where it says things like "Awesome brutal band for all death metal fans!", or "their talent has brought them much recognition in their home country" and the likes. Why people do that when it's clearly written right above the text box to not write any non-neutral information is truly anyone's guess.

Demenekan
Deathless in Spiritual Evil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:04 am 

Is it acceptable to add info about the new album if it's delayed or if the band is looking for a record label to release it or any such "special" case?

For example Wintersun:

"The band's second album, set to be called Time, has been delayed several times. Please do not add it until ALL details are finalized."

or Thanatos:

"Currently looking for a new label, with a new full length already fully recorded and ready to be released."
Rise up against the enslaver

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:22 am 

Demenekan wrote:
Is it acceptable to add info about the new album if it's delayed or if the band is looking for a record label to release it or any such "special" case?

For example Wintersun:

"The band's second album, set to be called Time, has been delayed several times. Please do not add it until ALL details are finalized."

or Thanatos:

"Currently looking for a new label, with a new full length already fully recorded and ready to be released."

The Thanatos one certainly not.

The warning in the first case can be useful, but only in cases, when people add cetain albums with unfinished tracklist, cover etc.
It will be added then by someone from the staff, all you have to do is to report the situation about the album, and we will decide, if it is really needed as a temporary measure or not.

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 pm 

What's so horrible in writing a single line about an upcoming album or whatever, it can help some people.

Does it hurt you that much?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 pm 

Kerpak wrote:
What's so horrible in writing a single line about an upcoming album or whatever, it can help some people.

Yes, it does.
I have to clean up the nonsense after you.
The pages here are not personal blogs, but for serious ecyclopaedic info.
They can get the news at the ban's website. We are no news agency, our uprose is different.

Besides, the pages here are not your playground, you cannot write there just what comes to your mind.

Last edited by Witcher on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 pm 

one problem are the reports on this issue I guess. Please add this, please change this. It is a minor issue and there is a lot of time wasted on.

I do not have a problem with this, though. I mean, if you have to 'be released in two weeks' or 'released a demo in September' leaves the site in pretty much the same state.

What remains are the reports.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:17 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
one problem are the reports on this issue I guess. Please add this, please change this. It is a minor issue and there is a lot of time wasted on.

I do not have a problem with this, though. I mean, if you have to 'be released in two weeks' or 'released a demo in September' leaves the site in pretty much the same state.

What remains are the reports.

It does no irreparable damage, yet it requires a lot of cleaning up and makes the page look quite idiotic.
Besides, the bullshit is there even for two years, before someone notices it, when the band in case is less known. The album is then already out, released in the meantime.
You do not have to hunt for it. Just delete it when you sse it on some page.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm 

Agreed with Witcher. Do not post such news tidbits in the additional notes. It is not encyclopedic at all, and this kind of information is doomed to be outdated and will need to be cleaned up.

Demenekan
Deathless in Spiritual Evil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 am 

Perhaps someone should post this on the news section? Because it's so common in the band pages that probably many of the experienced users don't know it.
Rise up against the enslaver

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:21 pm 

I typed some keywords in Google:
site:metal-archives.com/band.php?id= + "is going" / "will release" / "will be releasing" / "will enter" / "will be entering" / "will record" / "will be recording".
Rather effective. Some dozens of that type of notes were deleted. Many were dating back from 2006/2007.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:23 pm 

I don't really see what's wrong with upcoming releases, but whatever. Most of the other stuff I see I delete it myself, self-promotion in the additional notes always bugs me.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:07 am 

The problem is that it requires quite much maintenance compared to what it brings (not much).

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:46 pm 

some folks also forget to remove the information from the additional notes after they have been added. Also in site-updates this is not often removed.

My podcast:

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:50 pm 

damn! that means that I must report my own shit... I didn't know this so I add some of this crap on Skyfire's page... sorry dude!... Maybe you should add this into rules, i thought was neutral information, many of us dont know adding "upcoming" things was so worthless... just a recomendation

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:11 am 

either way, as im not a veteran member, if i spot some of this crap on a band page i should report as high, normal or low priority???

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:12 am 

AleXTreme wrote:
either way, as im not a veteran member, if i spot some of this crap on a band page i should report as high, normal or low priority???

Normal would be good.

frigidpony
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:49 pm 

Excellent post Witcher, and thank you for addressing this. I just replied to something and had a related question in the Point Whores sticky, but you pretty much answered my question. I try to clean up information in additional notes whenever possible, often times the information is redundant because it hasn't been updated, the band will list upcoming releases in the additional notes that have already been added.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:00 am 

Please:
Do not add any rubbish link you can think of.
I just cleaned the Burzum page a bit:
two Wikipedia links (en; pt)
several links to blogs that have no content.

keep the sites clean.

My podcast:

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:21 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Please:
Do not add any rubbish link you can think of.
I just cleaned the Burzum page a bit:
two Wikipedia links (en; pt)
several links to blogs that have no content.

keep the sites clean.

wikipedia links are also worthless?

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:03 pm 

How difficult is it to find a wikipedia article on Burzum? Rare interviews and whatnot belong as links because they are scattered in the nether regions of the internet but Wikipedia is practically within spitting distance even if you have no spit to spit.

Its an unnecessary additional link to a site that isn't always factual.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm 

Definitely. If a band is big enough to warrant a page on wikipedia, it doesn't need links to all-purpose sites like this.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 am 

Kerpak wrote:

Does it really hurt you that much that the site doesn't include little things like this? I don't understand why some people get so butthurt over this. If you want to know what a band is doing, over 95% of the bands' official websites are conveniently listed on MA. Why is it such a big deal?

:brick:

ralfman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:56 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540268092

How about this one , i guess this is not acceptable.Sure all that can be erased but if the user who filled those black spots does it again?

:ugh:

Selling:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 9&t=119265

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:24 pm 

on this site:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35307
Quote:
Tomb Of... begun in late 2004 by sole musician W.S. of Frozen Glare. March 2005 saw them release their first demo, "...The Rotting Break". It was a landmark funeral doom / dark ambient release that brought a lot of attention to the band in a really short time. Its novel combination of blackened harsh vocals, violins and pianos over really sinister and funerary dirges received lots of critical acclaim and brought the band to the interest of O.T. from Akitsa, who went on to release their work in his label Tour de Garde.

(emphasis added)

that is a really strong statement and nothing is there to back it up.

I would like to delete most of the additional notes.
Paragraph 2&3 should be kept; 1 rewritten.

My podcast:

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 pm 

Question..is noting that a band began their career as "X" genre, and after releasing a demo, shifted to "X" genre?

Was just wondering because I don't want to try to do this and ending up pissing off a mod.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:17 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
Question..is noting that a band began their career as "X" genre, and after releasing a demo, shifted to "X" genre?

That's ok.

___Funeral__Fuck___
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:31 pm 

A shout box in every artist's page will solve these problems.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 pm 

....and engender countless others.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:38 am 

___Funeral__Fuck___ wrote:
A shout box in every artist's page will solve these problems.

www.last.fm <-- there you go!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Reply to topic