Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:53 am 

I noticed that somwhen this year the bands from Hong Kong were merged into China. So more than ten bands went from Hong Kong's list to China's list. (For example, Irresistible Hearts) But in the country list Hong Kong is still there, containing only one band called Shepherds The Weak. Then what makes this band so different?

When someone tries to add a band, the country list still contains Hong Kong. OK, I am not an extreme nationalist. I don't really care whether you regard Hong Kong as a country or as a special administrative area of China. But you should decide whether a band from Hong Kong should be merged into China or should have its own country list as Hong Kong.

PLUS: I don't quite understand that Yaksa (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=126586) was accepted. To me they are a metalcore band, not metal enough. Here is a free listening service of their first album "Freedom": (in Chinese)
http://www.vvya.net/Album/A9eda73550b70c7c8.htm

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:22 am 

As for Yaksa, at least their new material is groove metal based enough.
But in the future, no more "pluses". learn to use the forum.
----------------------

A warning to all: Are you ignoring the respective thread on purpose, do you wanna piss me off or something??

Furthermore to state a band is metalcore does not mean a band will get automatically deleted. Read the rules on metalcore, think about the genesis of the name...

More: If you question a band, do it like in a review. Mention why it is not metal in details, describe the non-metal parts of music or to which non-metal style it belongs.

Reasons like the band is trendy, members have trendy haircuts, they want to reach a mainstream audience, they make fun of black metal, they are leftists, former crusties, anarchists, racists, they squeel like a pig will get you nowhere, I will only point to your irrationality and you will get from me the same treatment as Tarzan boy in the thread below.

Also, do not ever argument with when one non-metal band is here, why cannot be another one.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:31 pm 

Take it easy, Witcher. You're turning into CK with your impatience. ;) He didn't say, that since "one non-metal band is here, there should be another one" at all.

As for the OP, I don't particularly care but they should indeed be consistent. I don't care either way, but I don't know why they were merged. If HK is still there, the bands from HK should be listed as from HK...

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:50 pm 

op:

Hong Kong is part of China. Bands from HK should be listed as being Chinese. As simple as that, whatever the special policy regarding HK and China.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:52 pm 

It shouldn't be an issue as long as "Hong Kong" is given as the city/region that the band is from, not unlike other bands that are shown as from a specific city, state or province.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:54 pm 

I must point out, as well, that if people continually fail to use the proper threads, or to use the sticky threads in a proper way, it is at least partially because their behavior is consistently reinforced whenever one of us answers them, despite the improper or otherwise disruptive nature of the inquiry. As I've said before, not every question warrants an answer, and it is counterproductive to run oneself ragged answering all of said improper questions. These questions are only a problem when one deigns to repeatedly gratify them.

There are times when silence is the most complete and concise of answers.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:19 pm 

Hong Kong is as much a country as Scotland, Wales or Puerto Rico.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 pm 

Actually, the entry for Hong Kong will be removed. The only reason there was a band from Hong Kong is because they were just added to the archives.

Reply to topic