Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FuturePrimitive666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 am 

Hi Everyone!

I have come here a few times in the past to check some infos on bands, and I really love the site. However, I was a bit disappointed now, when I hoped to double check some info on the band, 'Humble Pie' to find that they are not included here. I understand not everything the band recorded would be deemed 'Heavy Metal' or even 'Hard Rock', but let us not forget that in July 1969, just a few short months after the release of 'Born To Be Wild' by 'Steppenwolf', that 'Humble Pie' was the first ever band to be called, 'Heavy Metal', thanks to the NME. So, I only wonder if it is not possible to consider a few more bands in your 'hallowed halls'.

Thank YOU, kindly!

FuturePrimitive666

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 am 

FuturePrimitive666 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I have come here a few times in the past to check some infos on bands, and I really love the site. However, I was a bit disappointed now, when I hoped to double check some info on the band, 'Humble Pie' to find that they are not included here. I understand not everything the band recorded would be deemed 'Heavy Metal' or even 'Hard Rock', but let us not forget that in July 1969, just a few short months after the release of 'Born To Be Wild' by 'Steppenwolf', that 'Humble Pie' was the first ever band to be called, 'Heavy Metal', thanks to the NME. So, I only wonder if it is not possible to consider a few more bands in your 'hallowed halls'.

Thank YOU, kindly!

FuturePrimitive666

You are more than exaggerating. Humble Pie were not nearly heavy enough. When we should accept every rock band which was influential to metall, we could go back straight to Hendrix, The Kinks, Cream, Yardbirds, The Who or even more back to Elvis. The line has to be drawn somewhere. UF.O., Nazareth, AC/DC, those all would have more right coming from their music to be listed here.

FuturePrimitive666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:44 pm 

'You are more than exaggerating.' How so? I simply asked, if the people who decide could possibly consider other, yes, Rock Bands here at the site. However, if it's true that YOU do not have bands like 'U.F.O.', 'AC/DC', 'The Who', 'Cream' or Jimi Hendrix then I would say that not only is the site limiting its understanding of what 'Heavy Metal' is all about, but those who make these decisions are certainly showing their age or lack thereof. I should hope that your mentality towards the Fathers of Metal is not shared by the majority. In any case, as Steve Marriott would have said, 'Rock On'! FuturePrimitive666.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:59 pm 

FuturePrimitive666 wrote:
'You are more than exaggerating.' How so? I simply asked, if the people who decide could possibly consider other, yes, Rock Bands here at the site. However, if it's true that YOU do not have bands like 'U.F.O.', 'AC/DC', 'The Who', 'Cream' or Jimi Hendrix then I would say that not only is the site limiting its understanding of what 'Heavy Metal' is all about, but those who make these decisions are certainly showing their age or lack thereof. I should hope that your mentality towards the Fathers of Metal is not shared by the majority. In any case, as Steve Marriott would have said, 'Rock On'! FuturePrimitive666.

My mentality?? I respect them for their contribution to rock and for their influence, but bands like Humble Pie were never metal themselves. Only some of their songs can be qualified as hard rock.
Most of the late sixties/early seventies bands were already discussed. Read the rules and what it says about classic rock and hard rock.
http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php
Clear enough?

This is a metal site, not a classic rock archives site.
You would not find many people, who would consider Humble Pie a metal band . Most of their fanbase would be quite shocked.
Do not try to play the age card. You seem to lack some common sense, which would tell you how absurd your proposal is.

http://www.unionsquaremusic.co.uk/title ... LABEL_ID=7
"boogified blues rock"

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-252421---Humble-Pie
"hard rock outfit"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_Pie_(band)
None of their albums would be predominantly metal in today's sense of word.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.