Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:42 am 

Greetings.
First of all, let me say I've been watching the ongoing discussions of the Metal-Archives talk page of Wikipedia for a few months now, and my respects to Evenfiel, Morrigan, PhantomOTO and Earthcubed for their almost tireless efforts to talk some sense into that clown. Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to let users on this forum participate in finding sources and writing out backing arguements to help the struggle to stop that person from vandalizing the Metal-Archives entry with his pointless nonsense and defend it with random personal attacks. The main questions are obviously whether Led Zeppelin play Metal or not, and if the Metal-Archives are biased towards extreme Metal. Well, I'm not expert on the former, but I think I have some ideas about the latter. But, before I get all worked up writing my thesis on why there are more extreme than traditional bands on the Archives, I'll wait if the mods think it's a valid thread, and maybe have some input from other users.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:21 am 

I don't really want to discuss with that guy anymore. The wiki article seems fine the way it is.

MA is not biased towards extreme metal and I proved it to him. He just doesn't want to beleive it. It's like trying discuss religion with a Jehovah's Witness.

parasite_lost
Mobile Oppression Palace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 am 

Most people with any common sense take what is wrote on wikipedia with a pinch of salt so I don't think it's a big deal unless something completly stupid is posted on there.

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:40 am 

"These bands are selected by the moderators in an admittedly arbitrary fashion"
:lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:30 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
I don't really want to discuss with that guy anymore. The wiki article seems fine the way it is.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:04 pm 

As I've told you before, the matter means absolutely nothing to me, and I've never really followed the situation, anyway. The M-A wiki page could read like the Open-Minded (TM) Manifesto and condemn this site as nothing but a collective of lies and trolling conceived and executed by a group of 16-year-old MySpace black metal "fans", for all I care. Even better, it could simply cease to exist.

Anyway, since you seem to be asking permission to have the thread, I'm here to tell you that you can try. Subject to usual governing policies concerning threads, of course. It may need to be moved to another forum at some point, and I can't have you organizing an "info-terrorist" (that term still tickles me, and I'm mostly devoid of humor) cell for trolling Wikipedia in concert, or anything, but you can try the thread as you've described.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

~Guest 19003
Boiling in the Hourglass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:37 am 

no post

Last edited by ~Guest 19003 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:41 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

Although I don't discourage anyone from continuing the struggle with him, and if this topic gets some positive feedback, I might chip in from time to time.

Besides, Deathrocker seems to be nearing the end of his rope with the Wikipedia mods.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:34 pm 

swineeyedlamb wrote:
Just what the hell would a "bias" towards extreme metal entail? Not letting in non-extreme metal? That's pretty easy to prove otherwise...

Logic is something non-existent for some people. This was posted on the wiki discussion page:
Quote:
Seriously, I know it can't be said like that on the site, as it's a very opinionated statement, but no joke, most of the reviews one the site are biased against anything that isn't a clone of either 1994 Black Metal (i.e. Burzum) or mid-80s Metallica. Yet they all seem to clamor for something 'original'. There really should be some sort of warning against reading any of the stupid reviews, much less taking them seriously. (user unknown)

Deathrocker was trying to use that as his "proof" on how MA is biased.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:39 pm 

I would imagine that "extreme metal" bias to be due to 2 things: more (bedroom) extreme metal bands, and non-extreme metal bands are often times more difficult to give a definitive genre as they teeter between metal and not metal so it becomes more of what you personally think they are.

Really, why give a shit anyway.

Reply to topic