Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:27 pm 

A whole new album by Xasthur has appeared, one of the singles popped up on my Youtube recommendations and it seems Prophecy Productions is involved. It's also like 100 minutes and contains a return to black metal (although there's a lot of "doomgrass" and ambient as well)

At this point, I think Prophecy is just nudging long in-active doom and black metal acts to release new material. Wouldn't be surprised if a new Thergothon single drops and it's a music video on Prophecy Productions' Youtube channel. A doomster can dream, no?

I digress, one thing that has always puzzled me is why Xasthur is considered separate from Xasthur. And previously that separate Xasthur was a bit easy to understand as it was a continuation of his new project Nocturnal Poisoning. But this album kinda muddies the water, as every source I can find about it are treating it like it's a return of old Xasthur.

https://xasthurband.bandcamp.com/album/inevitably-dark

This interview even seems to indicate that this is the old Xasthur straight from Scott's mouth. https://www.metalsucks.net/2023/06/12/x ... ably-dark/

So how would we want to handle this new development in Xasthur-land? Do we add "Inevitably Dark" as an "old" Xasthur? Do we add the "new" Xasthur releases as well, or exclude those?

I think adding only things released under the Xasthur name would make sense, even though that would invariably include some of the 2015-2023 Xasthur. Or we add everything, even the Nocturnal Poisoning stuff. Or we just add this new thingy.

I figured a discussion thread would be better to sort this out than me just dogpiling yet another report that gets closed with no comment. I'm glad the message saying "this was reported before" popped up because it happened eight other times since May. And I have no doubt those are going to continue regardless.

Scott seems to answer comments at times on Xasthur's Instagram page so I asked him directly what he considers this new album to fall under. It just feels like a really silly queston to ask, since this is Xasthur, how is it a different Xasthur from the other Xasthur.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Reply to topic