Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm 

There could be a space on the page of each band with the "Greatest Songs" and their respective albums.

Something like this, to help the listeners who don't know the band yet to know better where to start.

There could be a kind of "voting", for example, each user could click on the songs in their respective locations and select a button like "vote as greatest song". Each user could vote only once on each song, but could vote on as many songs as he wanted.

The most voted songs would appear on a list as a "top 10", also showing which album it belongs to and how many votes it received. And the bands that still don't have any voted songs, would only show an N/A message in that box.

I think this could be very helpful for the bands to gather new fans, because those who do'nt know could hear the best songs, in the opinion of those who already know.

here's a horribly drawn example that I made in Paint:
https://imgur.com/a/652ZKOD

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

You know, when I was young, we used to either ask other people where to start, buy a greatest hits compilation, or buy the album with the cover you found more interesting.

Besides "greatest songs"? Just because they're the most popular, it doesn't make them the greatest songs. Kids these days want everything readymade.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. Which bears no weight in the decision to implement this.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
You know, when I was young, we used to either ask other people where to start, buy a greatest hits compilation, or buy the album with the cover you found more interesting.

Besides "greatest songs"? Just because they're the most popular, it doesn't make them the greatest songs. Kids these days want everything readymade.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. Which bears no weight in the decision to implement this.

You're not wrong, I guess...
Certainly some veteran metalheads will find this foolish, specially those who collect the cd's, vinyls etc.

but for example, when I started to listen to rock and metal, circa 2000, 2001, I found it very useful to search mp3 of the most popular songs of the bands that I still didn't know (when I said "greatest songs", that's what I meant, "greatest songs in the opinion of the majority ", it's obvious that some prefer other less popular songs).

with so many new bands appearing every day, I think it would be a kind of tool, a "bonus information" on the site, because some people not always have time to listen to a complete album of all the bands that they want, and so many good songs stay hidden, songs that could attract more fans to these bands, I think...

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:26 am 

Rate your music has song and album ratings by users. Metalstorm and sputnikmusic have album ratings. Sort by views in YouTube gets close. Digital stores like Google play have a top ten. Last.fm has users and scrobbles. Spotify also has a top ten. Adding voting to this site may be too much of a headache for them.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 am 

AShallowerVoid wrote:
Rate your music has song and album ratings by users. Metalstorm and sputnikmusic have album ratings. Sort by views in YouTube gets close. Digital stores like Google play have a top ten. Last.fm has users and scrobbles. Spotify also has a top ten. Adding voting to this site may be too much of a headache for them.

This.

BrunoGriloDias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am 

AShallowerVoid wrote:

Yeah, you convinced me

Reply to topic