Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:27 pm 

I found this live album called 'Rip this Boot' by Midnight which is said to be a bootleg release on Discogs, but is also available in the Hell's Headbangers store (Midnight's label). I saw that it wasn't added but wanted to ask first if it was acceptable to have on their page?

https://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/item- ... gpID=21949

https://www.discogs.com/Midnight-Rip-Th ... e/11212260

I also would like to ask a general question about whether or not these types of releases are typically allowed?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:53 pm 

Hmm, interesting.

Our policy on bootlegs/unofficial albums is fairly straight-forward. If it's a bootleg or unofficial version of an official release, let's say a Guyanese bootleg of "Master of Puppets," then it can be included as another version of "Master of Puppets." The same is true if the authenticity of the album is disputed (eg. the label claims it's official, but the band does not, or vice-versa). However, if - for example - someone went to a Metallica gig ten years ago, recorded the performance and started issuing bootlegs of it, then we wouldn't include that on MA. Original bootlegs or unofficial releases should not be listed in a band's discography. We want only official, publicly-released albums there. The only exception we've made is Mayhem's "Dawn of the Black Hearts," which despite being a bootleg is generally seen as a historically relevant work.

I find it a bit odd for HH to have the album in their store - and that raises questions about how they vet albums for their store (do they even know?) - but this release appears at first glance to be a bootleg. Its label, Reek of Death Records, appears to be a bootleg label specializing in live albums. Any research I've gathered on this album so far seems to indicate that it's not official. That said, it's entirely possible HH recognizes it as official or at least officially-sanctioned, but you would have to confirm that and even if they do its authenticity would be disputed unless it was also confirmed by the band. I'm leaning on this being a bootleg, though. A well done bootleg, at least as far as packaging goes, but still likely an unofficial release. However, perhaps more research will determine that not to be the case.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am 

Gotcha, probably best not to add it then?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 pm 

Aye. It appears to be unacceptable.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Reply to topic