Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:38 pm 

I have a odd question, I suppose... There's this band that I mentioned to the artist, about adding his band's new single from his Bandcamp page. The single was released yesterday, as states the date from Bandcamp.

My problem is this... even though he has the single up already, he requested that I add the date as January 4th as it's official release date, as per what he stated to me, "If you would be cool with it could you put the date of the single as January 4th 2018 release date? This is just a sample for the fans at the moment."

So, what I need to know is, should I wait until Jan.4th to add this single? Or, go on and add it with the Dec.20th date, or January's date? Unsure of which is acceptable. Thank you for any help :)

*(Unsure if I'm even writing in the correct section of the forum?)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:14 pm 

Could you provide a link?

As for the last bit, you can always ask here:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... start=1080

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm 

https://zebulonkosted.bandcamp.com/trac ... ver-return

And, thank you for the link.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 am 

Personally, I wouldn't add this as a single. However, others would; so, if I were to, I'd definitely use December 20, 2017, the artist's wish notwithstanding.

J__Ason
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:35 pm 

What if they later change the release date to Jan 4? You said to use the latter of release date and publish date here: https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 9#p2687109

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 pm 

I'd keep the original date for this one. However, supposing I saw a release for the first time after the page's publication date had been altered, I'd most likely use the one shown without looking at other values* in the page source. What I said in that post provides a good rule of thumb when it comes to Bandcamp releases, but remember that it's really hard to document all this digital data without the slightest mistake.

*...which I probably should. E.g. How many tracks were first published? Which tracks were available for download and when? Was the page private on [insert date]? Was it public? etc.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:47 am 

Antioch wrote:
I'd keep the original date for this one. However, supposing I saw a release for the first time after the page's publication date had been altered, I'd most likely use the one shown without looking at other values* in the page source. What I said in that post provides a good rule of thumb when it comes to Bandcamp releases, but remember that it's really hard to document all this digital data without the slightest mistake.

*...which I probably should. E.g. How many tracks were first published? Which tracks were available for download and when? Was the page private on [insert date]? Was it public? etc.

Since anyone else visiting ZK's Bandcamp page would automatically see Jan.4th as the release date, if I were to make it Dec.20th, someone could very well come up from behind me and correct that date, and put it as Jan.4th. Since it has since been changed as such, maybe it's best just to go on and do it this way?

I know that if I don't add it, someone else is sure to, and if they do, will have it set for the 4th (more than likely). I hope I am not wrong in doing it this way. If I am, feel free to correct it.

And, thank you for your time in answering me, most appreciated.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:12 am 

Spider_X wrote:
I hope I am not wrong in doing it this way. If I am, feel free to correct it.

And, thank you for your time in answering me, most appreciated.

Your initial post was a request for "any help", hence my reply - and you're welcome. However, the way you've reformulated your question - whether something's right or wrong - tells me you've opted for a mod's help only. It's not my place to answer that.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:27 am 

Looks more like an advance sample/preview than a full-blown single release from what I'm seeing in this thread and on Bandcamp. I'd hold off on adding it for now.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 am 

I had some 'missed' e-mails here.... sorry for the late reply back on this!

Antioch, no, that wasn't the case at all, honestly. Just that I was a bit confused which way to go on this one.... you're statement here "I'd keep the original date for this one. However, supposing I saw a release for the first time after the page's publication date had been altered, I'd most likely use the one shown without looking at other values* in the page source." was a bit confusing for me. I went with the latter of what you'd said, because if anyone else is like how I am, I always go by what's at the bottom, showing on whatever artist's Bc page. And, my fear was that, sure, o.k., I put down the original date that was on there; however.... if someone else happens upon his Bc page, notices that the entry of the single and his Bc page don't match up, it will only get changed anyway. That's why I had said "I hope I am not wrong in doing it this way. If I am, feel free to correct it." I was more or less inviting you to correct it, if I was truly wrong. I am sorry for any miscommunications, and misunderstandings from anything said. :)

And, Azmodes... this was indeed an actual single from the new album he's working on. "First track of the new full length available in 2018." on his Bc page. It may had said something different before, I honestly can't remember it now. Rashid had messaged me asking me if I would add it, and everything honestly seemed alright in doing so, but then the date threw me off, and that's why I was asking about that :) I do sincerely apologize for adding it without discussing further on it. Must have been one of those lack of sleep days/ nights; it was not something that I did on purpose.

I do apologize to both of you guys! And, thank you both for taking the time to answer me, and sorry this comment is over 2 months after the fact. I am really sorry about that.

Reply to topic