Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:56 pm 

Hey,

I recently added the lyrics for Arbor Ira's "Weltenfresser" and I tried to be as close to the booklet as possible. The problem is, at least for track 7 the booklet is a complete mess with barely a ".", "," or strokes to be found leading to nonsense.

I searched the forum, but all I found was the point-whore complains about adding lyrics one by one... (What a surprise...)
I remember reading a post about that here before, but that was quite some time ago and I can't remember if a mod posted on that or not..

To get to the end... I really like lyrics (if written properly...) and I tend to add all the lyrics I can get my hands on...

Is there any guideline for lyrics, formatting of lyrics and what I should correct and what not? Being close to the way the band presents the lyrics can't be a bad thing, but are there specifics on how far I can "change" them without getting reported for "adding nonsense lyrics"?

Would be great to have a note somewhere :)

PS: Here are the lyrics I mean. Track 7

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:59 pm 

I don't know German sooooo.... general guideline would be to use proper grammar when writing out the lyrics. I.e. spelling and sentence structure.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:54 am 

We've never had any concrete rules on formatting/standardising lyrics, other than maybe a general tendency not to tamper with them and copy them 1:1 from official sources even if there are clear errors. Personally, I would say it's fine to reformat chaos like that to a more readable form. It's not like there is some kind of pristine artistic intent we need to preserve as an objective database, it's obviously about the content, not the format. But hey, there's definitely some special cases out there where this doesn't apply. Best ask when unsure.

As for inserting proper punctuation, be my guest.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 am 

So as long as the wording stays the way they sing it, it's ok to correct errors, grammar, typos and such?
That's great, thanks guys.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 am 

Well, I was referring to the formatting. Correcting grammar mistakes would be too much and I'd be careful with ostensible typos since all that does kinda interfere with faithful documentation.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:34 am 

Correcting "dont" into "don't" shouldn't be a problem, right?
If they e.g. falsely use "don't" instead of "doesn't", I wouldn't correct that since that wouldn't be "faithful documentation". That's what I meant with keeping the "wording". Keeping the words they use in the order they use/sing it, just correct the stuff that doesn't affect that nor the meaning and doesn't change too much.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 am 

Yeah, that's fine.

Reply to topic