Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm 

I noticed that when I specify which version of an album I own, a vast majority only have tapes, CDs, and vinyl editions. Since the vast majority of my music collection is downloaded from iTunes, there is usually no option for me to put it. I'm sure that many other users have this problem, since we're in the digital age and computers are being used fr more and more every day. Would it be a reasonable request for MA to add a "Digital download" or "Downloaded from iTunes" option for music that is available in that form?

Thanks!

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 pm 

Sometimes people don't bother adding digital versions of albums, but this option you're referring to is already in place, so don't worry. As long as an album is available for download on platforms like Bandcamp or iTunes, it should be fine. The problem in certain cases is that a digital version's release date can be ambiguous or even made up, so we need to be careful with those. Anyway, which albums are you not able to add into your collection as a digital version? I'll be glad to help out.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:29 am 

Ah, ok. Thanks. A lot of the albums in my collection are like that, Reign in Blood for example.

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm 

Ah yeah, I looked through your collection and most of those keep the original CD/vinyl release dates on iTunes. Doesn't make sense to say that an album was released on iTunes in 1986 for example. So if we can't confirm the actual iTunes release date, it can't be added here. But to be clear, it's common for bands to release albums on multiple digital platforms at once. For example, Sunn O)))'s Kannon digital version says "Bandcamp" but it was released on iTunes the same day. I guess you'll have to make the most of this situation.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:46 pm 

You should be able to add them on your own if you don't see them. Add a version and select the format "digital." Digital albums from any reputable platforms (Amazon, bandcamp, iTunes) should always be added if they're not there! The only uncertainty here can be the release date for the digital version.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 pm 

For adding bandcamp versions, you can view the page source and search Publish_date to (usually) find the real release date of a album.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:59 pm 

Always BEWARE Bandcamp release dates. Bands uploading their back catalogue tend to just ballpark and guess more often than youd think. Any album with a release date starting in January 1, is probably just outright wrong. The interface forces you to select month, day, year. Just put the year or leave as "unknown" when wholly unsure.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Always BEWARE Bandcamp release dates. Bands uploading their back catalogue tend to just ballpark and guess more often than youd think. Any album with a release date starting in January 1, is probably just outright wrong. The interface forces you to select month, day, year. Just put the year or leave as "unknown" when wholly unsure.

I've been having some trouble adding versions with unknown release dates. The site seems to force me to add at least the year. Any ideas why?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

I've been having some trouble adding versions with unknown release dates. The site seems to force me to add at least the year. Any ideas why?

Pretty sure only veterans and higher can add an other version with an unknown date. Just flag a report on the entry in question.

Reply to topic