Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:03 pm 

Hey anyone.
So quite a while ago, I tried to add to the site a Death Metal project of mine where, since I barely have any money for recording gear or recording sessions, I program everything to be as close to the instruments I try to emulate as my less-than-seven-euros music software allows me. Then I add vocals if necessary and whatever I need at the moment.
I have to note that I compose mostly with my own guitar or bass or by thinking about the possibilities of each instrument.
The project was rejected and I recieved a mail notifying me so, but I was unable to see any reason why, it just appeared as rejected.
Although I wasn't mad, I was annoyed, so I inquired in the thread "why was band X rejected" for reason I could understand and the response I got was that it was due to the usage of synth instead of actual guitars or bass.
So that got me wondering if there are any specific site policies for instruments since we have Apocalytpica, which use cellos, or The Berzerker, which have heavy use of a Speedcore bass drum, among others.
If you have any specific knowledge or similar experiences, please share them here, since it'd be useful to me.

Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:10 pm 

I've dug a little further and this question has been answered before with the band Master Boot Record (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ma ... 3540420355), which uses a similar way. Considering I was rejected before MBR's first record, is it maybe a mind opening by the site or did I have to suffer an elitist?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 am 

Same guidelines as always. A band:

-Must be predominantly metal. (This is subject to our interpretation. Admittedly, Master Boot Record and other electronic/programmed stuff is a grey area.)
-Have a valid release. (Digital-only bands require a finished, professional release. Physical releases require proof of distribution.)

If your band you're inquiring about is Exorcised Cunt, then it meets neither criteria. Consider the rejection affirmed.

Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:23 am 

I am aware that the interpretation of "Metal" is kind of a grey area, specially considering there isn't a full consent over what makes a riff or, any part of the music development, Metal by itself (although we have guidelines with different genres). Also, the main argument I have for that, contradicts the rules of the site quite frontally, so I won't use it.
About the proper release, I dealt with this even earlier with my band Asken Av Verden, that got also dismissed and I was told it was for the lack of a proper release, which I understood, considering that up until that point I just had been uploading senslessly, so I wasn't gonna don that again. When I submitted the project, there were two singles which preceded an album, all on bandcamp. I have the links, and they were the releases I used on the project's page.
They are here: https://exorcisedcunt.bandcamp.com
Considering that I've seen bands with no other releases than demos, I sincerely lost what you mean with "proper release".
All I'm looking for is a technical answer telling me why, specifically, the project isn't "Metal" or "site material". When I get that, I will forget the matter eternally.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hanten Kurosu wrote:
Considering that I've seen bands with no other releases than demos, I sincerely lost what you mean with "proper release".
All I'm looking for is a technical answer telling me why, specifically, the project isn't "Metal" or "site material". When I get that, I will forget the matter eternally.

There's no technical answer regarding metalness, that's solely the judgment/decision of the staff, and it's not metal. Another mod rejected/blacklisted it, and I affirmed this.

The key part of the rules is this, for digital releases: "Only finished, professional albums." - we're not too strict in interpreting that, but this sounds like total shit, so there's zero chance we'd accept it. (additionally: "We actually prefer serious digital releases (see below "Valid Digital Releases") over garage/bedroom amateurism.")

Reply to topic