Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RunningWild_AT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:01 pm 

I will never understand why M-A does not distinguish between the UK countries, cause it would be way more accurate to do so.

Wikipedia wrote:
United Kingdom - The United Kingdom consists of four countries — England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Of course you could refer to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as "regions", whereas Northern Ireland could be referred to as a "province".
But in my understanding all four are countries (no sovereign states though) and should be filed as such.

My arguments:
• What if Scotland breaks off the UK? (not unlikely)
• Nobody would refer to Belgium, Nederlands and Luxemburg to as BeNeLux, would you?
• Or put together the sovereign countries of the European Union or the Commonwealth.
• England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland also compete as separate countries in sports or other international competitions.
• This leads to confusion. Many members are not aware that Northern Ireland (NIR) does not belong to Ireland but the UK.
I reported several Belfast-based bands and other "Irish" bands for country correction.

To sum it up:
Imo, the United Kingdom is just a Union of sovereign countries, so they should be filed as such.

You probably had this discussion earlier, just want to renew it … and hear your opinions.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:24 pm 

The countries used on the site comply with ISO 3166 which is the standardized codes for countries, if you have any complaints ask any majority popular website why they have United Kingdom on "pick a country" section of their create a account/register section. You might as well ask this question to any website.

RunningWild_AT wrote:
My arguments:
• What if Scotland breaks off the UK? (not unlikely)
• Nobody would refer to Belgium, Nederlands and Luxemburg to as BeNeLux, would you?
• Or put together the sovereign countries of the European Union or the Commonwealth.
• England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland also compete as separate countries in sports or other international competitions.
• This leads to confusion. Many members are not aware that Northern Ireland (NIR) does not belong to Ireland but the UK.
I reported several Belfast-based bands and other "Irish" bands for country correction.

1. If Scotland does, and it is all kosher with no dispute, then Scotland will most likely have an ISO code and therefore it's own country entry.
2. The EU is not a sovereign country, it's an economic union. Since you are quoting wikipedia, I'll quote this for the UK

Quote:
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign country in western Europe

Emphasis on Sovereign Country there. The UK isn't an economic union, it has one centralized government across the countries.

3. So? In the Olympics, the United Kingdom has been Team GB for years, it's like, per say, if the USA states were countries, the team would still be USA in the Olympics.

4. Then they are just idiots and/or uninformed of that area. We have a lot of people that don't do research. I had someone add an artist entry for a male Tanzanian guitarist as a female Norwegian once.

Hope this clears up every and sorry if my tone is condescending, it's been a rough day.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:07 pm 

Concerning the reports, all edits were done very recently by GuardAwakening. He changed the country from United Kingdom to Ireland for those five or six bands, leaving the location set to Northern Ireland. It's possible that the bands have relocated at some point, but his edits weren't that clean, hence failed to reflect that. If he doesn't find my post on his own, it'd be good to notify him so as to come here and comment.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 pm 

I really hope this is some lame attempt at trolling...

But in any case, just to add to PDS' great post there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

That's the list we use. If you have any issue with what's included in that list, we recommend you take it up with its creators, the International Organization for Standardization.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 am 

Antioch wrote:
Concerning the reports, all edits were done very recently by GuardAwakening. He changed the country from United Kingdom to Ireland for those five or six bands, leaving the location set to Northern Ireland. It's possible that the bands have relocated at some point, but his edits weren't that clean, hence failed to reflect that. If he doesn't find my post on his own, it'd be good to notify him so as to come here and comment.

Even if they relocated, that wouldn't change the country of origin.

I'll let him know.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.