Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:43 pm 

I recently started adding bands after a five year "break", and obviously the process have changed over the years, and that for the better. But one thing that I don't remember was the case back then, and that I don't really see the point of now, is why one can only have five bands pending at the same time. Since it seems thay one can have many more in the draft at the same time, doesn't that mean that they take up as much space on the site as the pending ones? And since people spend time finding info and submitting it to the draft suggests that it's only a matter of time before they are pending.

So why not let them be pending as soon as the submitter is done adding info in the draft, regardless of how many pending bands that user already have? The band in the draft is gonna be dealt with one time or another, so I don't really see the point of waiting until one of five spots are empty.

I suppose one reason could be that an inexperienced user do something wrong systematically, which he may find out after the first rejection feedback, and that the five-bands-limit makes the mods not have to go through tons of bands from that same user. But wouldn't that make the limit more suitable for users with few accepted bands rather than everyone? Maybe that's already the case though...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:53 pm 

Imagine that you're a mod and you open the band queue and see 50 troll submissions done by the same user. Sounds fun?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:13 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Imagine that you're a mod and you open the band queue and see 50 troll submissions done by the same user. Sounds fun?

Ban him after you discover one or a few of his submissions being a case of trolling and delete the rest of his submissions without bothering going through them? Also one thought was that after a number of accepted ones, the limit goes away/expands, since it's less likely that a user with some history of contribution is gonna start trolling all of a sudden, then that an inpexperienced/new does it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:21 pm 

I wouldn't mind trusted users to have a, let's say 10 bands limit and I think the subject has been raised in the past. The thing is, the band queue is often quite long and it's tough work for the small staff. Doing what you ask will not solve the situation.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 pm 

I agree about it's not going to help the moderators in their task, but neither would it make it worse. However, it will stop situations where several users are spending time on finding and compiling info, and submitting one and the same band. That is, one or several users with five pending bands may have the same band in their draft, and then some weirdo with a life walks in and submit the same band to the pending list instantly. :wink: Sometimes it may not matter much because there's very little, yet sufficient, info about a newly submitted band. But sometimes submitting a band takes quite a long time if including the finding and compiling of info.

Clarification about it not making it worse for mods: the way it appears now is like a doctor with a crowded yet limitless waiting room having a policy which makes some patients not being able to enter it, while they are allowed be in another crowded yet limitless waiting room of the same doctor.

Question out of curiosity from someone who don't write many reports: is there a simmilar policy for reports?

Another possible solution to the problem raised in this post: if it's possible to have all users drafts in a searchable list like the list of all users pending bands, it would save people time when they see that someone else is already "on it", with regards to submitting a specific band.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:48 pm 

^ No, there's no limit on reports. The band submission limit is partly due to the fact that the band queue is limited to 250 (or so) entries at time (which in turn is for moderator sanity).

Hmm, so you really find so many bands compared to the rate they're being approved?

In some cases, existence of an artist who isn't in any other bands suggests a draft exists. But well, sometimes people forget to submit the drafts, etc., so I'm not sure it'd solve anything.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 pm 

Cursarion wrote:
^ No, there's no limit on reports. The band submission limit is partly due to the fact that the band queue is limited to 250 (or so) entries at time (which in turn is for moderator sanity).

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 pm 

The submission queue limit explains it.

Though, if it's possible, it would still be a good thing to be able to search for band names in a list of all users collected drafts, just like in the submission queue.

Reply to topic