Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:46 pm 

I think it would be helpful if a dropbox would be added under each album, which would include the different bonus tracks on different editions of the albums. The reasons why I propose this are as follows:

1) It would put add songs into the database which before were only found in the "additional notes" section, and thus make these songs more easy to find
2) It would allow the reader to see the lyrics to the song & track duration as well as the revised album duration including the bonus tracks.

For example, Incantation's "Onwards to Golgotha" could have a dropbox underneath the tracklisting that would read "Bonus track (on CD edition)", and after opening it, one could find the song "Eternal Torture" and it's length, lyrics, and how it effects the length of the album. Multiple dropboxes could be used for releases with different re-issues and sets of bonus tracks.

An example of what I am talking about can be found at the "tracklisting" section http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_(Death_album)

There are some problems with this (namely, it would also add "Lack of Comprehension take 2, riffs rehearsal January, 1991)" or something equally insignificant to the database), but I would at least like to propose it as a possibility.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:55 pm 

A feature is planned which will allow different album versions/pressings/re-releases/etc. as subordinate entries for a single higher-level release page. This will effectively solve the problem addressed here.

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 am 

Azmodes wrote:
A feature is planned which will allow different album versions/pressings/re-releases/etc. as subordinate entries for a single higher-level release page. This will effectively solve the problem addressed here.

When that feature comes to life will you be able to add all those different versions to your Collection? That would be really nice, it would up the total of some people's collection quite a bit! (Especially if you own, say, fourteen different versions of Loudness' Thunder in the East.)

It would also be nice to be able to upload different album covers for those reissues.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 am 

Presumably, yes. Same for album covers.

Believe me, we're really looking forward to this feature too. It would solve many issues, not to mention make the database a good deal more comprehensive and neat.

To the best of my knowledge it's largely an idea thrown around at this point (and presumably quite the programming task), so I wouldn't expect it to be implemented in the nearer future. I don't doubt it will eventually be realised, though.

Reply to topic