Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:18 pm 

Noticed another case where an artist was a live member for a band and appeared on a live release:

Gamma Ray live album & Eero Kaukomies.

He was added in the band member lineup so Gamma Ray appears now in his active bands.

Earlier case was with with a Nargaroth live EP and Akhenaten, I think Morrigan did a manual fix or something.

Wouldn't it be simpler to, for example, add the live members in the guest/session tab? They are kind of live session members anyway usually.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 am 

I've added him to the guest/session members tab on those albums.

Lauri
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 am 

Artits bug again :( (the search does not work)

"DataTables warning: JSON data from server could not be parsed. This is caused by a JSON formatting error."

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 am 

Any particular artist?

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 am 

This time the problem is not with the artists, the search on the main page isn't working either.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 am 

This was in the JSON response:
Quote:
<script>alert("Unable to Connect to tcp://localhost:8983. Error #111: Connection refused");</script>

Lauri
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 am 

Yes band search, artists search both do not work

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 am 

It's working just fine now.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 am 

Stay online. I think the problem seems to disappear when you're around. :D

(In other words, probably the server having a quiet wank.)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:12 pm 

Now the site should be stable again, but once more the indexing of new artists is not working.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bathory/184
the band picture sucks. Would it be possible to restore the old one?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 am 

Indexing of new artists is working again.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bathory/184
the band picture sucks. Would it be possible to restore the old one?

Errrr, no. I've added another picture, but I dunno if it's the old one.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:59 pm 

Oh, come on, that picture is fine.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Te ... has/159634

See last edited by LORD DAMIAN. But if you click on his name, it goes to the profile of Lord_Damian, a different user. If you search for "lord_damian", both profiles come up, but when LORD DAMIAN is clicked on it takes you to Lord_Damian. There's no way to see the profile of LORD DAMIAN.

edit: Actually, if you left click and select "go to profile", it works. But if you middleclick on LORD DAMIAN, it converts the space to an underscore and goes to the other profile.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:16 am 

SwarteHeap wrote:
edit: Actually, if you left click and select "go to profile", it works. But if you middleclick on LORD DAMIAN, it converts the space to an underscore and goes to the other profile.

Seems to work fine if you replace the middle character with a URL-encoded space ("%20"):

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/LORD%20DAMIAN

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:29 am 

Well, there appears to be some inconsistently applied "url escaping" when it comes to generating HTML links.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:39 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Seems to work fine if you replace the middle character with a URL-encoded space ("%20")

How's that relevant? The site simply generates a wrong link for the "Modified by" user profile, while it generates correct link in the menu which appears if you just left click it normally. The middle clicks etc. on the first one get an underscore instead of space.

Same with the user rankings, the click-to-open menu has correct link.

Heh, might screw people badly if there are profiles whose names look more similar in capitalization than these two.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 am 

Can't search for V:28 through the band search. Can't remember when I last searched for them but I have numerous times before typing the same thing with no problems (may have only been back in V1). I still found them through a song title search.

Search results for "V:28"
Searching bands by name
Showing 0 to 0 of 0 entries

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/V%3A28/16470

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:51 am 

RonimuZ wrote:
Alhadis wrote:
Seems to work fine if you replace the middle character with a URL-encoded space ("%20")

How's that relevant? The site simply generates a wrong link for the "Modified by" user profile, while it generates correct link in the menu which appears if you just left click it normally. The middle clicks etc. on the first one get an underscore instead of space.

That alone seems relevant to me. I never left click when I want to go to a user's profile, I always middle click...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:50 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Can't search for V:28 through the band search. Can't remember when I last searched for them but I have numerous times before typing the same thing with no problems (may have only been back in V1). I still found them through a song title search.

Yeah, that's a known bug. Until the bug is fixed, you can find them by searching for *28

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:08 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Yeah, that's a known bug. Until the bug is fixed, you can find them by searching for *28

Actually, why not have the code swap all colons with "*" before submitting the query?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:30 am 

Dexter wrote:
That alone seems relevant to me. I never left click when I want to go to a user's profile, I always middle click...

Well, for average middle click users who know it potentially opens a wrong profile, it might be easier just to go back to the previous page (or more like change the tab to the previous one), click at the name and open the correct link from the menu, than to type stuff in the URL. Especially if the problem occurs with other characters besides space/underscore too and typing %20 doesn't fix it.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:49 am 

RonimuZ wrote:
Well, for average middle click users who know it potentially opens a wrong profile, it might be easier just to go back to the previous page (or more like change the tab to the previous one), click at the name and open the correct link from the menu, than to type stuff in the URL. Especially if the problem occurs with other characters besides space/underscore too and typing %20 doesn't fix it.

That isn't what I meant; I meant that the original problem could be circumvented if the "href" attribute of the original anchor had a %20 replacing its space.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:21 am 

Ah, ok.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:01 am 

Anybody else think "Fan Page" should be renamed "Unofficial" instead...? It's kind of weird to add a Wikipedia or Discogs entry to an artist and see it regarded as a "Fan Page". Not to mention it's misleading, since not every "fan page" was a page/profile erected by a fan.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 am 

Makes sense.

shin0bi272
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 am 

I searched the thread but didnt see anyone mention it (I dont think anyway... there was one that said something similar but they didnt quote the person they were talking to so I'll assume they werent talking about the same thing)... But I found that in Opera you can go back and it remembers your place on the page. Strange that it does that on opera but not on FF or IE. Good to know though so that I dont have to keep paging through all the pages to get to the next band in the list.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 pm 

So, this probably isn't the largest issue, but I felt it might be work bringing up just for clarity's sake. When an artist is reported as orphaned, is there any other cause of that besides it being, "without any line-up entries"? If not, the message in the reports queue should read "(i.e. [an artist] without any line-up entries)".

Thanks!

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:55 pm 

I hit cancel, but realized fast enough that I wanted to save the change and hit save half a second later. The software did not like it:

Quote:
{"isSuccess":true,"errors":[],"redirect":"http:\/\/www.metal-archives.com\/albums\/Wolfhetan\/Entr%C3%BCckung\/109562"}

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 pm 

MMisantropo wrote:
legacy4 wrote:
This is not very good, because there exists some compilations, that are re-recorded stuff or unreleased material, such as:
Helloween - Unarmed - totally re-recorded stuff with new Line-Up, but NOT a Full-Length album.
Virgin Steele - The Book of Burning - partially re-recorded stuff with many never released before tracks with new Line-Up - but NOT a Full-Length album.
Running Wild - The First Years of Piracy - totally re-recorded stuff with new Line-Up, but NOT a Full-Length album.

For such compilations / albums we just must enter Line-Up, but for simple "Best of" stuff, like this & this this is don't needed.

Boxed Sets - there must be no line-ups.

Your point is valid, but those examples you gave should be considered regular full-lengths. A new recording is a new release. Most bands re-record their demo songs for the debut, yet that fact doesn't turn the album into a compilation.

I changed these:

Amorphis - Magic & Mayhem
Doro - Classic Diamonds

How about more borderline cases?

This, for example: Stratovarius - Intermission

It contains four original tracks which appear only on this release, two previously unreleased demo versions, a previously unreleased live cover and one previously unreleased live track of their own, while the rest of the tracks are B-sides or from VA compilations.

Another example: Archgoat - The Aeon of Angelslaying Darkness

The first disc contains a previously released demo in its entirety, a previously unreleased demo in its entirety and a previously released EP in its entirety, plus three tracks from two full-lengths.
The second disc, however, contains only live tracks from three concerts, making it more like a live album (those tracks haven't been released before). One of those songs has a guest vocalist who can't be added to the release lineup, and is thus only mentioned in the additional notes.

And another one: Horna - Kun synkkä ikuisuus avautuu

It apparently contains previously unreleased demo versions of tracks which have been released on full-lengths as different recordings.

One more: Svartrit - Svarthetens ridå

It's the first release of the band so I suppose it should be something else than a compilation? However, I don't know whether the band released demos which are just missing from the MA discography.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:16 pm 

You can keep borderline cases as compilations.

As for the Svartrit compilation, I've changed it to EP.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:42 am 

Okay, I see "Fan Page" has now become "Unofficial / Fan Page"... probably want to shorten that to just "Unofficial" for two reasons:
1. It's shorter, and therefore, neater
2. It's kind of making it impossible to click on the subtab (due to the slash in the #href).

Second reason is kind of the more important issue, I'd say. ;)

=================================================================================
EDIT: Oi, question: is it okay to expand state abbreviations to their full names? I see a lot of artist pages with their "City of origin" set to stuff like "Wilmington, DE" and stuff, and while it's obvious to an American that that'd stand for "Delaware", not everybody lives in America. D:

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:20 am 

^ Yeah. Screenshot related. In it the text "Tablatures" goes a bit under the "Add" button.

There seems to be something else wrong with links too, as some are positioned differently. Looks like in categories "Official", "Labels" and "Official merchandise" you first see the appropriate links, and below the links for "Unofficial / Fan site". The tab for "Unofficial / Fan site" doesn't work though, and in the tab for "Tablatures" you get first the links for "Unofficial / Fan site" and below links for "Tablatures".

Tested on two browsers, works the same way in both.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:27 am 

Just drop " / Fan Site" and all the problems should go away. ;-)

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:45 am 

So it's related to the element names or something?

Nice testing of changes btw. :D

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 am 

Yeah, it's probably choking on the forward slash. Took a peek at the DOM and noticed the bottom bunch of links (the ones that were out of place) weren't being grouped into tabs.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
is it okay to expand state abbreviations to their full names? I see a lot of artist pages with their "City of origin" set to stuff like "Wilmington, DE" and stuff, and while it's obvious to an American that that'd stand for "Delaware", not everybody lives in America. D:

Yes, you can expand state abbreviations.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:25 pm 

I just thought of something I think would come in useful. In the advanced search, in the band tab, I think it'd be a great idea to have a tick-option for "Must have a full-length". Simply ticking that box would cut out all of the one-hit-wonder bands who released one or two demos and just faded away. Just a thought.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 pm 

Why not just use the Album search with the selected parameters and then limit the results to full-lengths?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:08 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Why not just use the Album search with the selected parameters and then limit the results to full-lengths?

This, BSS this is what you're asking for. The feature is already there. When you go to the advanced search, you're automatically in the "Search Band" tab. Next to it is the "Search Album" tag - click that and you'll see the options come up.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 65  Next