Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bakbik1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:21 am 

"Depression, Drugs, Suicide, Death, Pain, Inner struggles"... these themes make them seem like a dsbm or funeral doom band. They have a lot of negative songs and lyrics, but they also have some "normal" songs like Sunshine or Swing on This. I reported it before but it got closed.
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/813754
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/813964

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:08 pm 

Alice in Chains' lyrics deal with these topics, it's not really a secret, and lyrical themes are not exclusive to any genre in particular. There are extreme metal bands with lyrics about My Little Pony so that is really not a point.

The majority of AiC lyrics deal with drug addiction, thoughts of suicide or death, and just negative topics since many of them were written by Layne Staley, who as it is widely known, was addicted to heroin, lost his girlfriend, was abandoned by his father, etc.

Also, "Sunshine" is about Cantrell's mother's death, while "Swing on This" clearly talks about drug addiction and depression in respect to family. I honestly can't even think of a single AiC song that isn't about a depressing topic.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Bakbik1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:42 pm 

BuriedUnborn wrote:
Alice in Chains' lyrics deal with these topics, it's not really a secret, and lyrical themes are not exclusive to any genre in particular. There are extreme metal bands with lyrics about My Little Pony so that is really not a point.

The majority of AiC lyrics deal with drug addiction, thoughts of suicide or death, and just negative topics since many of them were written by Layne Staley, who as it is widely known, was addicted to heroin, lost his girlfriend, was abandoned by his father, etc.

Also, "Sunshine" is about Cantrell's mother's death, while "Swing on This" clearly talks about drug addiction and depression in respect to family. I honestly can't even think of a single AiC song that isn't about a depressing topic.

Their lyrics tend to be negative, but unless we are talking about something like Nutshell or Dirt (the song), it's never really suicidal.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:52 pm 

Extremely well-known bands, like the ones I've noticed you flagging for genre and theme changes, have been analyzed to death from dozens of different angles over the last 20 years that the site has been around, and usually won't change. They're probably better left as is.

Bakbik1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:43 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
Extremely well-known bands, like the ones I've noticed you flagging for genre and theme changes, have been analyzed to death from dozens of different angles over the last 20 years that the site has been around, and usually won't change. They're probably better left as is.

"Inner struggles" was actually added after my reports. So is it possible to delete it? Because it's a bit too much now.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:49 am 

I'd personally only cut "Suicide" since basically "Death" and "Depression" already encompasses it better, and I don't recall that many lyrics outright talking about suicide other than "Dirt" although I could be missing the meaning of some metaphors.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Bakbik1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:54 am 

BuriedUnborn wrote:
I'd personally only cut "Suicide" since basically "Death" and "Depression" already encompasses it better, and I don't recall that many lyrics outright talking about suicide other than "Dirt" although I could be missing the meaning of some metaphors.

Exactly. I reported this, but instead of deleting "Suicide", "Inner struggles" was added.
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/813754

Bakbik1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:08 pm 

It is still relevant. View update history -->> 2022-12-19 19:20:36 and you will see what I'm talking about.

Reply to topic