Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PaganiusI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:38 pm 

Inner Odyssey needs at least a Rock tag after their latest album. The first one was way more metal while "Ascension" has lots of Art Rock/Acoustic/Jazz/Blues influences making it a more calm release. Kind of like Steven Wilson's solo albums with heavy guitars here and there.

Ascension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ReWWSGlmU
Have a Seat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOca6-bYZgc

~Feel free to visit: Blog - Shop~

~Live young, die free~

Fekalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:35 am 

According to their Bandcamp profile, they play Death/Doom metal. Source: https://hexandhell.bandcamp.com/

S9NE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am 

I suggest adding "Symphonic" to the genre field of Skywings (Japan).

First Contact (2006)
-Full EP

The Advent Melody (2009)
-Full album

Grace Grade (2012)
-Grace Grade
-Scribble My Love
-A Moment Lyric
-Eternal Memory
-Sky on Smile

Angel's Sky (2013 single)
-Angel's Sky

Freesia (2013 single)
-Freesia

Vice Versa (2014)
-Vice Versa
-Unite Forever
-I Fascinate
-Glass in the Ice

Sky Legacy (2015)
-Love Song
-Gloria

Wings Wind (2016)
-Wings Wind

Skywings (2017)
-Skywings (preview)

Fekalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:41 am 

Fekalot wrote:
According to their Bandcamp profile, they play Death/Doom metal. Source: https://hexandhell.bandcamp.com/

They play Death/Doom metal, not Doom/Death metal. https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hex/3540425248

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:46 am 

Fekalot wrote:
Fekalot wrote:

They play Death/Doom metal, not Doom/Death metal. https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hex/3540425248

Same difference, word order plays no part in how we tag mixed genres.
Derigin: Works for me. I'll be right on over

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 pm 

flexodus wrote:
OK it's FINALLY time to update Twitching Tongues' genre. They are 3 albums past their current genre listed, and the last two have upped the death metal influence considerably. These guys sound similar to Xibalba but with clean vocals and more doom parts, so they need a new genre to reflect this. Here's the newest album Gaining Purpose.

And their 3rd record Disharmony

I have reviews up that explains the transition between their early records, but to reiterate: they've left behind the rock/boogie/ "stoner" influences for a while. The old genre might work for the demo and Sleep Therapy, maybe Preacher Man, but everything from 2013 needs a new tag. They are much heavier and metallic now, with the only bygone from that style simply being the clean vocals. Think of an extreme version of Cro-Mags - Alpha and Omega.

The base of their sound is Doom metal/Hardcore, with influence from slower death metal (Autopsy and Bolt Thrower being the biggest). But there is a weird gothic/alternative 90s metal influence as well: it's basically old Type O/Life of Agony/Alice in Chains with death metal riffs (both slow and fast), doom parts and 90s metalcore circle pit riffs and breakdowns. At this point I think they can be called Gothic/Doom/Death Metal/Hardcore. I'm no authority on gothic metal though, so if a mod can listen to these two albums and confirm if including that is accurate would be appreciated. They certainly have lots of weird gothic sounding interludes and quiet moments and such. Replacing it with "Alternative" or maybe throwing in a "groove" in there would be fair as well.

Please listen to both albums and let me know what you think! if a mod needs me to point out specific styles of music in specific parts of songs let me know.

Still waiting on this. Here's the title track rundown:
Youtube: show

Moshy Candlemass riff ("Dark Reflections")
slower gothy chorus
fast crossover pit riff a la All Out War, Carnivore, Hatebreed, etc with death metal soloing on top
super fucked up breakdown with lots of tempo changes and pinch harmonics. Sounds like Gorguts/Symbolic era Death warped into a beatdown band.

Another video, which is way too thrashy to be called "stoner/rock" in any manner

Another very gothic/doom track, with a hardcore 2 step twist

PaganiusI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:26 am 

Other claims up there are still valid :)

Addition: 3405

On their newest album they play a mix of various genres, depending on the song including Doom, Classic Metal, Death, and so forth, not just Stoner Metal/Rock

As I can see, there aren't even any Stoner Metal/Rock influences left.

https://3405.bandcamp.com/album/-

~Feel free to visit: Blog - Shop~

~Live young, die free~

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:38 pm 

So, here are a couple of more well-known bands that I wanna pick your brains on; Boris and On Thorns I Lay.

Boris' current genre as various isn't wrong, and it's certainly better than the lengthy tag it had before. I brought them up because I saw that sludge metal had been added to The Melvins' tag so that it read "sludge metal, various"; this being because, while they have played multiple different styles throughout their discography, they are most primarily a sludge band and that has been their most prevalent style out of the mix.

I propose the same is done in adding drone to Boris' tag, reading as "drone/doom metal, various". Although Boris too have played several different styles throughout the years, they have always been most primarily known as a drone metal band, and that seems to be the style they come back to the most. Not to mention, there have been several albums in which they may play sludge or stoner metal, but there is a significant drone influence in the mix. The following are all drone metal albums that they have released, in case you weren't familiar with them.

So, now we have On Thorns I Lay. They seem to have followed Paradise Lost's progression pretty closely, as they've done a full 360 in their genre changes over the years. They used to play death/doom, then gothic metal, then more alternative rocky kind of stuff, then back to gothic metal, and now they've released another death/doom album. Eternal Silence and Aegean Sorrow are most certainly not hard rock albums, that's for sure.

I would suggest we change On Thorns I Lay to "death/doom metal, gothic metal/rock" like how it was done with Paradise Lost. Hard rock has never been that prevalent a style in the band's sound. Egocentric is listed on the band's page as being a hard rock album, but it honestly sounds like the same kind of borderline alternative rock/gothic metal kind of stuff that Katatonia had been playing at the end of the 90's. So, I think merging rock with gothic metal would be reasonable. The general point being, the band's material has always either been death/doom or gothic metal.

Sounds of a Beautiful Experience (death/doom metal)
Orama (gothic/death/doom metal)
Crystal Tears (gothic metal)
Future Narcotic (gothic metal)
Angeldust (gothic metal/rock)
Egocentric (gothic metal/rock)
Eternal Silence (gothic metal)
Aegean Sorrow (death/doom metal)

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am 

Po' Metra Crijeva's current genre (Death/Thrash Metal) doesn't do the band's sound justice IMO. All their songs are played in the Istrian scale, as they come from Istria. It sounds very dissonant and the band are not afraid of playing on that dissonance with synths, weird vocals and whatnot. I think adding "Avant-garde" or "Experimental" would make it work better as a genre tag.

Songs:
Jure Grando
Ča je trubilo
Ča metal (album)

Vortiene
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Encore/3540267951

if you listen to their one album, it's more hard rock/heavy metal, definitely not power metal.

sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFkPOyL7-Y

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:59 pm 

The current tag of "Oi!/RAC/Death Metal" doesn't really do Squadron any justice as their music was quite varied over the years.

Our Time Will Come and Take the Sword are Hardcore Punk/Oi!-influenced RAC with some Metal underpinnings: "Take the Sword" and "Show Our Strength" are their most Metal songs from those years.

The switch towards Metal started with Combat: Battle and Burn and the "Unter dem Hakenkreuz" single. "Death Before Dishonour" is an obvious Thrash Metal song and the album has quite a few Crossover Thrash songs. Still, I consider the album to be mostly Oi! and Hardcore.

Decade of Defiance: 1985-1995 compilation featured rerecorded metallicizations of old songs.

Suppression of Faith is a mix of Grunge and Acoustic Rock with some Alternative Metal songs not a world away from Alice in Chains.

Age of Conspiracy is a mix of Groove, Death and Thrash Metal. Those are the songs I could find on YouTube, but rest assured, the entire album follows those conventions.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85