Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02 pm 

Hi everyone, seems like November is back with everything it implies, meaning rain endlessly pouring down and the now classic MA Virgin Reviews Challenge. As most of you already know what it’s about I’ll keep it short, for the newcomers (I hope there will be some) the rules are posted at the end of this post, where they’ll be more accessible than lost in the middle of the thread.

Here’s the week I’m suggesting: from Monday the 16th to Sunday the 22nd, i.e. two weeks from now.

The magic number will be 610.

Please all take note of this new rule: every reviewer is allowed a maximum of FIVE SINGLES for the Challenge. Thus people willing to review a couple of singles they deem particularly important will still get the opportunity to do so, while it should prevent to have the site flooded with useless reviews for equally useless cash-grab singles from well-known bands. Of course 1)this limitation only applies to singles and 2)several reviewers can still review the same single provided it was initially a virgin.

The rules:

1. The primary aim of the Virgin Reviews Challenge, as set up by Byrgan in May 2006, is to improve the site’s quality by encouraging people to write reviews for albums with no reviews so far. During one week, MA reviewers submit as many reviews as they want/can for this kind of releases. Of course eveyrone can still write reviews for already reviewed releases, but they won’t be taken into account.

2. Every release listed on the main site is valid including singles, videos, boxed sets etc. However please note that 1) SPLIT ALBUMS will always count ONCE regardless of how many bands are playing and 2) there’s a cap at FIVE REVIEWS PER REVIEWER for SINGLES (no restrictions for other releases).

3. Eligible releases have to be virgins on the beginning of the Challenge. However several reviewers may review the same initial virgin. It will count only once, regardless of how many reviewers are involved, but each reviewer will get credited. There’s no bonus for the first one, so no need to hurry – focus on quality instead.

4. What brings me to the fourth point, VALUE QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. It’s a collective challenge, not an individual one. Mods won’t be more lenient anyway. Everyone is welcomed even if it’s only to write one review.

5. BE VERY CAUTIOUS. Main site time is the one and only reference. The Challenge always begins on a Monday at 00:00:01 and ends up on the following Sunday 23:59:59. Time in your timezone is likely to be different from MA time, even if you’re living in the United States. So again, ensure you’re posting your precious review in the right time. Also keep in mind that Forum time might be slightly different from main site time (?)

6. The total number of reviews written will be tallied once a day (under normal circumstances). After the Challenge has ended up a big list of all the reviews written will be compiled, as a monument to MA reviewers. Another list will sum up how many reviews have been written by every reviewer. Again, being on the top of this latter list won’t make your dick bigger, so value quality over quantity (didn’t I hear an echo here?)

7. As long as I’ll co-organize this challenge there will be nothing to win in the end except the Board’s eternal consideration. Deal with it :)

Last edited by Sean16 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:12 pm 

Awe man its like Christmas!... Only in November!... And without presents!

But this is cool. The 16th - 22nd sounds good to me. I recall last year ran into conflicts with Thanksgiving over here in America, so its nice to see you took that into consideration this year :)

Also, I've got more than a few releases since last challenge that happen to be virgins. I knew there was a reason I was saving them.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm 

I was hoping this would come towards the end of the month since I'm busy at the moment. Needless to say, I'm happy with those dates. :P

I doubt I'll review any singles. I don't have any to begin with. I've already started compiling a makeshift list of what I want to review, most of it being black metal. I suppose I had better start listening to those albums as soon as I can.

I'm aiming to beat my score last time. Maybe this time I'll win. :aww: I'll aim for 100 and see what I can do. I have loads of free time at that point anyway.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:56 pm 

I'll let you know Perplexed that I'm not shooting for the top spot like last time. Too busy with school and I just don't have the motivation this time around. No, this isn't because I can't do more than 5 singles or anything. I just don't feel like writing too many reviews right now.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:03 pm 

Hmm, maybe this will get me back into reviewing.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:32 pm 

Not such a great week for me this time, but I have a few virgins I'd quite like to have a pop at. I should be able to do a handful, anyways. Every little, and all that.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:38 pm 

Crap! Most of my reviews are of albums with no reviews! :durr:

EDIT: I found one! Do we mention it here, or keep it a surprise for the contest?

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:57 pm 

I'm in. Hopefully I can break my record of two reviews! I'm going to have to aim pretty high.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:38 pm 

I think I'll have some exams. I'll probably still try if I have time. Hopefully I'll be back at reviewing. I'll have plenty of work, so far I have 41 releases and there's more than a dozen I forgot.

Sean16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:45 pm 

Khull wrote:
I recall last year ran into conflicts with Thanksgiving over here in America, so its nice to see you took that into consideration this year :)

Of course... Hu, wait... I've actually no clue about Thanksgiving's day. Is it the same day every year?

OzzyApu wrote:
I just don't feel like writing too many reviews right now.

Nice. I'll be able to claim back the rank you stole me in the Top 25 Reviewers List :tongue: Though I'm sure your "not too many reviews" will still be around 30 - 40.

Zelkiiro wrote:
I found one! Do we mention it here, or keep it a surprise for the contest?

You're welcome even for one review :)

As far as I'm concerned I shouldn't run out of virgins this time. I've bought several full-lengths from not-so-well-known bands the last couple of months - that's always more interesting than randomly seeking for crappy demo acts on the Internet. Of course, time will be the biggest problem for me as usual, knowing these days I can barely keep my so amazing pace of one review a week.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:03 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
that's always more interesting than randomly seeking for crappy demo acts on the Internet.
No, it isn't.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Sean16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:45 pm 

Well I also happened to find several very interesting demo bands on the Internet of course. I was just talking from a pure reviewing point of view.

Of course I like your demo reviews :)

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:57 pm 

Sweet, been looking forward for this. Every time a challenge comes back around I get in the mood to start reviewing again, I did 2 a few weeks ago and enjoyed it so hopefully this will kick me back into gear.

Fortunately as well, I've been gaining a lot of new music that happened to be virgins. I'm ready to go this time :thumbsup:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:03 pm 

Although I'm not a very proficient writer, I think I might try writing my first review for this. Would I be allowed to start writing it now?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:16 pm 

No, you are only allowed to write during the given week. There's a 2-hour leecher period before the actual contest starts, but that's about it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm 

As long as you don't submit it before the start date, you should be fine. :lol:

Perhaps I'll manage to review something unknown this time to beat my prestigious record of zero.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:24 pm 

hey wrote:
Although I'm not a very proficient writer, I think I might try writing my first review for this. Would I be allowed to start writing it now?

From the last competition:
Sean16 wrote:
- (to newcomers especially) It's forbidden to stockpile reviews for the challenge, however there's always been a small tolerance especially for the weekend immediately preceding it (some people don't have much time on their hands during the week). There's nothing to win, and we won't put a cop behind each contestant. Just don't write 50 reviews the three weeks before to post them all on the Monday. That's downright stupid.

Hopefully I can set aside some time that week to write a few reviews, I think I will at least beat my score from the previous one.

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:24 pm 

Unfortunately, i probably won't be able to do much of anything this time around. I'll try and get in a lone token review, just so i can pretend i participated, but i doubt much more than that...

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:32 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
No, you are only allowed to write during the given week. There's a 2-hour leecher period before the actual contest starts, but that's about it.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll wait until then to start writing it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:49 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Hmm, maybe this will get me back into reviewing.

Me Too!!!!!!

i've been wondering when this was going to happen again. haven't been writing many reviews at all for the past few months due to some lifestyle changes etc. i know i'll get nowhere my 80 something from last time round, but hopefully try to get at least 10 done. the new 5x singles rule is fine with me really, a lot of the reviews i done for singles last time were kinda longer than a single should usually warrant, so it doesn't really add to your total that much anyhow. not sure what ive got on on the week in question, but basically job hunting hard at the moment with school just finishing up for the summer, so could possibly have a job soon. that, and my ex-girlfriend is trying to win me back by buying me a 52" Plasma screen. if i get this TV i'd imnagine i'll be doing a bit more Call of Duty than album reviews..... :lol:

Bring this shit on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:13 pm 

@ Sean16, Thanksgiving is on the 26th of November, ever year. Just so's ya know.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:03 am 

Wish I'd known this was coming; I wouldn't have written my (first for m-a) four virgin reviews already. It's coincidental, but just a few days ago I went through my collection to see what I have that's not yet reviewed on the site, and came up with a couple dozen albums. Problem is, most of them are so painfully mediocre that writing about them is physically wearying. They're not even bad enough to rouse my passion for mockery.

Regardless, this challenge gives me an excuse to put off writing the reviews for a couple weeks. :)

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:04 am 

I'll have finished school and all my exams by then and will finally be able to focus on reviewing, so I might give this a shot. However, my reviewing skills aren't that great and my old ones need to be re-written badly. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:46 am 

I think I'll take part but with no expectation of winning. I'm not even sure I have very many virgin albums to review at the moment. I'll do what I can though and hopefully get a few reviews in. I wonder if hells_unicorn or Noktorn will take part.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:12 am 

Cool...I'm definitely going to participate in this. I've only written two reviews for this site so far but I think my experience listening to a hell of a lot more metal since then (only a few months, I realize) will really help me write reviews that are less clinical and hopefully more enjoyable to read. I don't know if I'll write dozens like some of the top reviewers tend to do, but I'll certainly try to do at least a few.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

KillingFloor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 am 

I was planning to devirginize a few Serbian metal albums, and I've already sent two reviews for approval. So, I guess I'll have to deal with these before the actual challenge starts, because I'll be busy otherwise during the challenge. But I may squeeze in few during the actual thing, as much as time allows.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 am 

I think I won't participate because I have no time...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 am 

Aw, that sucks. Your reviews turned me on to a lot of good music, especially old school death metal (double especially old school Swedish stuff).

So far I've compiled a list of at least 40 or so releases that I might be up for reviewing so hopefully this will go well!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:01 am 

Seems interesting but at the most I'll be able to do about....hmmm...3 reviews.

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:59 am 

Khull wrote:
@ Sean16, Thanksgiving is on the 26th of November, ever year. Just so's ya know.

As long as the fourth Thursday of November is the 26th, anyway.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:23 am 

i'll be up for this one, should be good. I can't guarantee a massive output.. maybe 20 or so reviews from me at the most.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:14 am 

I'll probably spit out a few for this challenge. Anytime in November is fine for me. I'm looking at some NWOBHM and NWOSHM demos and albums.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:56 am 

I'm going to try a few doom albums of variant quality, because everyone knows this site doesn't get enough doom reviews!

I'm thinking some Paul Chain in particular. I might touch on some Onkel Tom stuff, too, for something different, too.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:45 pm 

I'll try to do at least one.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 pm 

I will be there to do what I usually do. You bastards.

Also, perhaps a few reviews...

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:12 pm 

Found 5 virgins, so might just as well try to get a grip and get some reviewing done. No promises, but I'll try my best to submit some. (Quality over quantity, of course). :P

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:36 pm 

I have three releases I am willing to send to you for free for this challenge. I can guarantee that it is really awful stuff! Anyone interested?

I got them for free myself, so I am just passing them on.

Important: You have to promise to complete the reviews for this challenge.

My podcast:

Sean16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:00 pm 

Which genre?

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:11 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
Which genre?

an attempt of one-man-black-metal-band.

My podcast:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Sean16 wrote:
Which genre?

an attempt of one-man-black-metal-band.

I know exactly who you're talking about. I just don't know if I want to subject myself to it. I already made the top spot for ZBT reviews... I don't think I want to repeat it with this one. Just to be sure, initials to the band are "A" and "C," right?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next