Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:49 am 

DoctorAMDC wrote:
I swear the MA has the worst acceptance methods. I tried to add the black metal band Vermut that has a full length longer than 30 minutes but it said to wait for the band to have something physical. I wonder what you will do in the future because now less bands release their music physical. It's contradictory because you just accepted a band called "Mormo" that has a 36 min digital only demo and it was accepted. Another band that is blacklisted without need is Damaged from Puerto Rico. They are a pure thrash metal band and has a physical EP. Who are the moderators? Not satanic or kult enough?

Easy there. I didn't deal with those, but as for Damaged, the blacklist note is not entirely clear, but it seems the band had to be blacklisted because people kept submitting it without evidence. Can you link to proof that they have a valid album?

Stuff for sale on Discogs

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:53 am 

Yazid wrote:
Hi,

I just want to know about why The Greatness Design is blacklisted. You said is more core than metal but I think TGD has only few core influences.

Here's their full album if want to listen to them again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foCTQDdKVQ

Sounds borderline. The gist of the blacklist note is that it relies more on guitar noodling than riffs.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 am 

The Swedish band B.H.A.t.a. was released, because of the notes at HMR forum, saying it was probably not a real publicly distributed release. I am sorry for saying, that the single was limited to 300 copies, I thought it was written on the Youtube info page, but it seems not. However, that Janne Stark Encyclopedia lists the single as an official rlease, mentioning it was a test-pressing. It even shows a release code and says, it was limited to 10 copies. So I would like to ask, if it could be considered a valid release under these circumstances? Source: http://www.fwoshm.com/index/B/516-big-h ... ers-friend

xynobys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:41 pm 

I get it that one in a pair of duplicates will be rejected, but damn, at least don't reject the submission with the most complete information and approve the one with literally everything missing!

Yazid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:57 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Yazid wrote:
Hi,

I just want to know about why The Greatness Design is blacklisted. You said is more core than metal but I think TGD has only few core influences.

Here's their full album if want to listen to them again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foCTQDdKVQ

Sounds borderline. The gist of the blacklist note is that it relies more on guitar noodling than riffs.

I also noticed "that lack" of riffs; maybe it's their only fault to call them Metal.

Well, Beheading was the first name of TGD. Beheading is here in MA as a melodic death metal/metalcore band.
Former members of Beheading considered their band as a deathcore band (and their sound was a lot like TGD). When they changed the band's name and it's music style, they considered TGD as a Tech/Melo death metal band.
The funny thing is that now MA says TGD is more Core than Metal. No logic.

Therefore, one of the following events would have to happen:
Beheading being blacklisted for no longer considered metal. Or, TGD finally have a page in MA.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 pm 

I remember TGD. It was a mix of proggy, djenty -core shredding over deathcore-y chugs. The original bassist for Cerebral Miasma showed that band to me. That's FAAAAAAAAAAR from being Metal, kiddo. It's just the kind of modern, "I-can't-believe-it's-not-prog-metal" progressive "metal".

I can't comment on Beheading, though, My only vague memory is that they sounded like either HCtK or JFaC. Can't remember which of the two.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

albumposting
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:23 am 

Could the band Godsfarm please be un-blacklisted? It got blacklisted originally for having been submitted too many times without a sufficient release, but the band just released an EP and it may be considered a sufficient release for acceptance.

https://godsfarm.bandcamp.com/album/malignant-crusade
it fills their ears and makes them ill,
They do not struggle anymore.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 am 

It was actually blacklisted for also being weird -core stuff too. It is bdm, but it is only like 11 minutes. Best wait for a physical or more digital stuff.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:49 am 

Yazid wrote:
I also noticed "that lack" of riffs; maybe it's their only fault to call them Metal.

Well, Beheading was the first name of TGD. Beheading is here in MA as a melodic death metal/metalcore band.
Former members of Beheading considered their band as a deathcore band (and their sound was a lot like TGD). When they changed the band's name and it's music style, they considered TGD as a Tech/Melo death metal band.
The funny thing is that now MA says TGD is more Core than Metal. No logic.

Therefore, one of the following events would have to happen:
Beheading being blacklisted for no longer considered metal. Or, TGD finally have a page in MA.

Read section 5 in the OP.

Witcher wrote:
The Swedish band B.H.A.t.a. was released, because of the notes at HMR forum, saying it was probably not a real publicly distributed release. I am sorry for saying, that the single was limited to 300 copies, I thought it was written on the Youtube info page, but it seems not. However, that Janne Stark Encyclopedia lists the single as an official rlease, mentioning it was a test-pressing. It even shows a release code and says, it was limited to 10 copies. So I would like to ask, if it could be considered a valid release under these circumstances? Source: http://www.fwoshm.com/index/B/516-big-h ... ers-friend

By all appearances, this wasn't publicly released. Low quantity aside, it's not quite clear what they did with the copies. Were they made only for radio stations and zines? Close friends? Or just handed out to whoever? One for this thread, maybe.

albumposting
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 am 

PDS wrote:
It was actually blacklisted for also being weird -core stuff too. It is bdm, but it is only like 11 minutes. Best wait for a physical or more digital stuff.

Ah, alright - I'll wait until then.

Could it still be un-blacklisted, though, so that I can make a draft?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 am 

No, it'll stay blacklisted until there is new material to consider.

albumposting
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:25 am 

Azmodes wrote:

Would you not say that the fact that there is proper "metal-enough" material available is enough reason to un-blacklist (even though there is not a large enough volume of said material for acceptance)?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:16 am 

Apistevist wrote:
Could it still be un-blacklisted, though, so that I can make a draft?

You could save the draft under a different band name then edit and submit when the mods tell you it's valid if you really want to prepare in advance. Surely no one will punish you for a blacklist circumvention if you don't actually submit the band...

Also, for the webmasters, I just discovered that there is no blacklist detection for drafts - I can change my bandname to anything. Is this a known bug?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:51 pm 

Apistevist wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

Would you not say that the fact that there is proper "metal-enough" material available is enough reason to un-blacklist (even though there is not a large enough volume of said material for acceptance)?

No. It will stay blacklisted until a valid release is provided.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Yazid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:53 pm 

Azmodes wrote:

I'm not comparing bands... ARE THE SAME BAND!

Know what? I don't even care if TGD is considered metal. I've spent a lot of time in MA since ten years ago and I just realized I haven't made a contribution to the page.
I thought TGD wasn't in MA because nobody had the interest to add it.

And of course, I'm really disappointing. Now I understand the bad reputation of MA.

There is even the typical stupid trve comment haha.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:29 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
DoctorAMDC wrote:
Another band that is blacklisted without need is Damaged from Puerto Rico. They are a pure thrash metal band and has a physical EP. Who are the moderators? Not satanic or kult enough?

Easy there. I didn't deal with those, but as for Damaged, the blacklist note is not entirely clear, but it seems the band had to be blacklisted because people kept submitting it without evidence. Can you link to proof that they have a valid album?

https://www.facebook.com/damagedthrash/ ... permPage=1
https://www.facebook.com/damagedthrash/ ... permPage=1
Restorable?

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Restorable?

yep ;). please submit.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 am 

I have no idea why you guys allow the shitty chugfest Deathcore band that is Whitechapel on here yet ERRA is somehow blacklisted despite being entirely riff-driven with a bunch of solos as well (and also more technical than most of the bands on this site but that's a digression). Not that I expected much from this site's bizarre logic allows Deathcore bands that are nothing but chug-breakdowns if they call themselves "Slamming Death Metal" and call the breakdowns "slams".

But I guess the moment a band has any syncopated palm mutes it can't possibly be metal, huh?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:25 am 

Vadara wrote:
I have no idea why you guys allow the shitty chugfest Deathcore band that is Whitechapel on here yet ERRA is somehow blacklisted despite being entirely riff-driven with a bunch of solos as well (and also more technical than most of the bands on this site but that's a digression). Not that I expected much from this site's bizarre logic allows Deathcore bands that are nothing but chug-breakdowns if they call themselves "Slamming Death Metal" and call the breakdowns "slams".

But I guess the moment a band has any syncopated palm mutes it can't possibly be metal, huh?

We would be much more willing to get to your request if you weren't such a smartass about it, you know.

I checked the song and to me and this sounds like a pure example of the sort of metalcore that we don't approve. This was very very soft with poppy clean vocals... Furthermore, we don't compare bands with each others but if we were, a good argument would be to note with which bands the band in question plays. Wikipedia notes that Erra toured with "with bands such as August Burns Red, TesseracT, Born of Osiris, Glass Cloud, Within the Ruins" and none of them are on here (except Within the Ruins iirc).

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:33 am 

I'm being a smartass about it because this site accepts bands literally devoid of any riffs whatsoever and full of chuggy breakdowns like Waking the Cadaver or Whitechapel yet blacklists a band that is entirely riff driven with solos (the song I posted has two of them) solely because the second has clean singing and sometimes utilizes syncopated palm mutes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 am 

I'm sorry, I haven't heard any metal riffs in there, palm mutes or not. Also, solos? Eric Clapton has solos. He's not on here.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:14 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm sorry, I haven't heard any metal riffs in there, palm mutes or not. Also, solos? Eric Clapton has solos. He's not on here.

I mentioned solos since one of the facets of this site's -core hateboner is the lack of solos (despite the fact that plenty of -core has solos, but this site is ignorant of anything that isn't Thrash, Death, or Black Metal anyway). Anyway calling ERRA predominantly hardcore as the blacklist message says makes zero sense given the technicality and complexity of their riffs when Hardcore is a genre defined by having extremely simple riffs if any at all.

But this is the same forum that thinks Corelia, Protest The Hero, and Sithu Aye aren't metal so what was I expecting lmao

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:16 am 

Yazid wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

I'm not comparing bands... ARE THE SAME BAND!

For they site's purposes, there are two bands here. As the aforementioned part of the OP states, it helps to look at MA as a database of metal releases, rather than bands. They are what we look at when we assess a band for inclusion. If there is need for a separate entry, even if it's just a name change, our requirements and review process are applied anew. It's not unheard of that a band's output varies across their career, so it could be entirely possible that Beheading makes the cut and TGD does not, based on each one's discography and in terms of a metal/-core ratio. I just want to get this point across, since people tend to misunderstand how we operate here.

That being said, of course I understand that different incarnations of the same band can stay more or less the same in sound. In which case, based on what I heard from TGD, Beheading should probably be re-assessed for deletion. The fact that they were added during a bit of an infamous era of the site, by a submitter known for many unacceptable additions is certainly throwing up red lights.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:35 am 

^I was a bit curious yesterday when he compared the two. I had a listen and changed the band's logo. The style was different then, and I think the genre tag describes the sound quite well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjAFRlOXqs
I'd say skip the intro anyway. *__* Hope this helps.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 am 

Yeah, I found the album elsewhere too and checked them earlier, thanks. Turned out to be a pretty good example of why you shouldn't be comparing bands after all, even "mere" name changes.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:04 am 

Hello, just a quick question.

I saw that a band called Vantablack from the U.S. has been blacklisted and was wondering which iteration of that name it was. There's a particular one I was considering attempting to add that's from Wareham, Massachusetts playing technical death metal (albeit a bit breakdowney) and released an EP in 2016. https://v4ntablack.bandcamp.com/releases

I also know of another iteration of the name from New York City that released a couple of black metal/ shoegaze singles which could also be a contender for the blacklist seeing as they describe themselves as "anti-black metal" on Facebook. https://vantablacknyc.bandcamp.com/album/lulu-single

Just wondering the particulars of who/which is blacklisted (maybe both?), if anyone has that information, and the search function didn't bring anything up so it seems like it hasn't been discussed yet.

Does anyone remember the name?

Thanks for your time.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
Hello, just a quick question.

I saw that a band called Vantablack from the U.S. has been blacklisted and was wondering which iteration of that name it was. There's a particular one I was considering attempting to add that's from Wareham, Massachusetts playing technical death metal (albeit a bit breakdowney) and released an EP in 2016. https://v4ntablack.bandcamp.com/releases

I also know of another iteration of the name from New York City that released a couple of black metal/ shoegaze singles which could also be a contender for the blacklist seeing as they describe themselves as "anti-black metal" on Facebook. https://vantablacknyc.bandcamp.com/album/lulu-single

Just wondering the particulars of who/which is blacklisted (maybe both?), if anyone has that information, and the search function didn't bring anything up so it seems like it hasn't been discussed yet.

Does anyone remember the name?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,
The Wareham, Massachusetts one because they are a deathcore band.

BananaSuitMassacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 pm 

Is it possible if you can whitelist Klysma from Belgium? Their full-release will be released in under 2 hours (BST time zone) and it's over 33 minutes long. I've seen in this thread that they were blacklisted for not having a valid release but this one is definitely long enough and will be distributing a physical release too.

Physical CD links: https://putrifiedj.bigcartel.com/product/klysma-sick and https://klysma.bandcamp.com/album/sick

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/album/sick/1410355136

Yazid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:02 pm 

Antioch wrote:
^I was a bit curious yesterday when he compared the two. I had a listen and changed the band's logo. The style was different then, and I think the genre tag describes the sound quite well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjAFRlOXqs
I'd say skip the intro anyway. *__* Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was looking for Beheading EP and they sound like As Blood Runs Black. And yes, their genre tag is very accurate. Did you listen to TGD? Leaving aside the vocal style, they are similar.

Azmodes wrote:
That being said, of course I understand that different incarnations of the same band can stay more or less the same in sound. In which case, based on what I heard from TGD, Beheading should probably be re-assessed for deletion. The fact that they were added during a bit of an infamous era of the site, by a submitter known for many unacceptable additions is certainly throwing up red lights.

Believe me, I understand how the addition of bands to the site works.

I just think there is no a substantial difference between the two bands to consider one as metal and the other not. And if there is a difference, I still believe that Beheading is more core than TGD.

But your last comment about the "infamous era" answers me about how is possible that Beheading is part of MA.

Anyway, thanks for all. I hope I've helped with something.

Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 pm 

Hey, so I just went and listened to Geneva, Empros ans Guidance by Russian Circles and then looked for what has been said about them recently and there isn't much, just a post asking for opinions on that last album. I thik they are quite Metal, specially on Empros.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 pm 

Yazid wrote:
But your last comment about the "infamous era" answers me about how is possible that Beheading is part of MA.

Nah, that was just a suspicion of mine, but as I wrote before, I listened to the Beheading release and they're clearly acceptable. Leaning strongly towards melodeath.

Hanten Kurosu wrote:
Hey, so I just went and listened to Geneva, Empros ans Guidance by Russian Circles and then looked for what has been said about them recently and there isn't much, just a post asking for opinions on that last album. I thik they are quite Metal, specially on Empros.

The band's discography has already been assessed, I think. Here's a post on the last album.

EDIT: hmmm, nevermind, that was for the second-to-last album. I could've sworn we also reviewed the 2016 release, though.

EDIT, the sequel: ah, there it is.

GabrielBilly51
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:05 pm 

I am Gabriel, founder of Mourning Souls, I was banned from Metal Archives in 2015, although I was doing fake accounts, even so I was banned. Mourning Souls was accepted in 2016 in Metal Archives for an EP called 'Cloudy Days', in 2017 it was deleted, in 2018 the label CVLMINIS released the EP that is the most metallic of the band, a DSBM sound. I can not send the band to the waiting list because I am banned, I would like to know what can be done to make Mourning Souls return to Metallum, if someone can put the band together.

Here is the sound on the CVLMINIS label:
https://cvlminis.bandcamp.com/album/dias-nublados

Here is the proof of the Physical CD made in 20 copies:
https://www.discogs.com/Mourning-Souls- ... e/12460703

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:37 pm 

GabrielBilly51 wrote:
I am Gabriel, founder of Mourning Souls, I was banned from Metal Archives in 2015, although I was doing fake accounts, even so I was banned. Mourning Souls was accepted in 2016 in Metal Archives for an EP called 'Cloudy Days', in 2017 it was deleted, in 2018 the label CVLMINIS released the EP that is the most metallic of the band, a DSBM sound. I can not send the band to the waiting list because I am banned, I would like to know what can be done to make Mourning Souls return to Metallum, if someone can put the band together.

Here is the sound on the CVLMINIS label:
https://cvlminis.bandcamp.com/album/dias-nublados

Here is the proof of the Physical CD made in 20 copies:
https://www.discogs.com/Mourning-Souls- ... e/12460703

"20 copies" of a raw, poorly produced, unprofessional EP, that was clearly released as an attempt to get the band back on the site in a discography full of noise releases? Yeah, no. Also, using those "fake accounts" despite being banned is called ban evasion, which is in itself a bannable offense, as is the constant blacklist evasion you've been trying to do with this band. Take the hint.

Hanten Kurosu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Hanten Kurosu wrote:

The band's discography has already been assessed, I think. Here's a post on the last album.

EDIT: hmmm, nevermind, that was for the second-to-last album. I could've sworn we also reviewed the 2016 release, though.

EDIT, the sequel: ah, there it is.

Alright, thank you, I just couldn't find that response, so I was making sure.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 pm 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,
The Wareham, Massachusetts one because they are a deathcore band.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Also, is All Shall Perish then able to be blacklisted for being deathcore or what is the idea behind the deathcore label (I'm sure it's been vetted a dozen times before, just wondering the idea behind it to better understand the aim)? I'm guessing the idea is finding the leaning between the notions of hardcore and death metal makes the point of contention with a band like that, especially when it comes to riff vs beat, breakdown as a song vs a riff creating a reason for it, really just ensuring a scale resounds in a terrible downfall of percussion. Is it more a knocking out the bands that bridge it to go for more a rock idea or punk way, sort of how a lot of pop-punk bands went for more hardcore sound in the past decade and made it more arena rock party music? Just wondering really, it's not a point of contention with me.

I'm just curious because there was a purge a few years back that got rid of bands like Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit (instrumental stuff, plenty of "djent", and all kinds of stuff that can easily be considered poser or just big muscly rock) and a lot of deathcore. Really I was just wondering, what was the prevailing idea behind that purge? It definitely knocked out a lot of bands, my brother still loves Acacia Strain and Bullet for my Valentine and I know that the latter isn't very metal while the former was a major disappointment when I got one of that band's albums back in the day. Seeing them knocked out of the Archives was validation enough to me to goof here and there about his unmetal listening (he got into Five Finger Death Punch later on, it just made it even funnier), let alone the later Lambesis situation (just to really put the screws to him :P) but I'd like to know where the notion came from really.

That purge is something I wasn't around for at the time but if someone could explain it to me, I'd very much be interested in knowing how things went at the time. It would better help me understand how the site is moving forward, or at least to confirm a few guesses here and there.

Sorry if I seem like a dolt, it's just something I've been wanting to ask for a year or so and saw it happen awhile back, just didn't want to bring it up at the time.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 am 

I wonder, if the Swiss band The Crotals could be whitelisted based on their latest album Horde, which was released today. I feel, that they now more concentrate on heavy sludge riffs than on the psychedelic elements. Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXUACVtMjQ

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:21 am 

Witcher wrote:
I wonder, if the Swiss band The Crotals could be whitelisted based on their latest album Horde, which was released today. I feel, that they now more concentrate on heavy sludge riffs than on the psychedelic elements. Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXUACVtMjQ

I can definitely hear it in the second track, especially the way it rides that riff five minutes into the album. Thanks for the recommendation, nasty stuff. I wonder what the mods think.

BananaSuitMassacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 pm 

BananaSuitMassacre wrote:
Is it possible if you can whitelist Klysma from Belgium? Their full-release will be released in under 2 hours (BST time zone) and it's over 33 minutes long. I've seen in this thread that they were blacklisted for not having a valid release but this one is definitely long enough and will be distributing a physical release too.

Physical CD links: https://putrifiedj.bigcartel.com/product/klysma-sick and https://klysma.bandcamp.com/album/sick

Here's also where you can stream the album as of right now: https://ghastlymusick.bandcamp.com/album/sick

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:01 pm 

Here's also where you can stream the album as of right now: https://ghastlymusick.bandcamp.com/album/sick

Whitelisted for evaluation.

~Guest 454084
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:32 pm 

Why Was Radioactive Waste (Turkey)Blacklisted?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511 ... 541  Next