Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 am 

What are some of those tasty treats that you remember from when you were younger that for some reason or other you just can’t get anymore? Here are some of my favourites:

Bertie Beetles: Now to be fair, they still make these. However, they used to be completely ubiquitous: you could get them at any corner store, convenience store or grocery in Australia, but these days you’d be lucky to find them in one in ten stores. They’re an anthropomorphic chocolate beetle with honeycomb pieces. I like to stock up on them on the rare occasions that I find them.

Australian Neapolitan ice cream: (I’m starting to show my age here) Whereas regular Neapolitan ice cream is strawberry, chocolate and vanilla, for the 1990 Commonwealth games a popular brand of Australian ice cream released a lime, lemon and vanilla combination (green and gold being Australia’s athletic colours).

Vice Versas: These were similar to M & Ms or smarties. However, they only came in two colours: brown and white. The brown ones had white chocolate on the inside and the white ones had regular milk chocolate within.

Chips with extra flavour: There was a brand of Australian crisps or potato chips (I forget which one) that used to come with an extra flavour sachet. Most of them were pretty ho-hum. But the barbeque flavour had a chilli sachet, which was absolutely great.

Soda Pops: These were a brand of lollipops with a fizzy centre. I guess it must have been made with bi-carb soda or something. They were really fun to eat.

Chokki Chokkis (not sure of the spelling): These were a product from Indonesia I believe. They were basically chocolate paste in a tube that you would squeeze into your mouth. I think they were about 20c each; a bargain.

Furry Friends: These were just a small block of chocolate with “Cadbury” printed on them. But the wrappers had pictures of Australian wildlife on the front that you could collect.

What were some of your favourites?

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Chokki Chokkis (not sure of the spelling): These were a product from Indonesia I believe. They were basically chocolate paste in a tube that you would squeeze into your mouth. I think they were about 20c each; a bargain.

Yup! That's from Indonesia. They used to come in regular chocolate but now they have it in white chocolate too. However it's still easy to get in Asean states. Come over to Malaysia, Indonesia or any Asean state, you're sure to find one. I didn't know they stop exporting it Australia.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:14 am 

Surge soda. What I wouldn't give...

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:19 am 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

I didn't know they stop exporting it Australia.

Well they might not have for all I know, but I haven't seen them since high school (more than ten years ago now).

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Vice Versas

I remember Vice Versas. Used to watch the ads on TV growing up, which usually resulted in my mouth watering because they looked irresistible. Had them once for a horror movie night with chicken chips, popcorn and pretzels. One thing I know is they tasted better than Smarties. I have bad memories of Bertie Beetles because I ate too many of them. Got to the stage where I thought I could taste the glue from the wrapper. Can sort of remember the chips with extra flavour but memories of Mamee Noodle Snacks keep clouding my vision.

I miss the old showbags where you'd get all sorts of lollies, chocolates and little packets of chips of brands that aren't around anymore.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 am 

Hnnng yes, Vice Versas were amazing. Are amazing, I should say. Nestle brought them back due to a facebook campaign: http://www.nestle.co.uk/media/pressrele ... e%20versas, http://www.britishsweets.com.au/Nestle- ... Pouch-126g

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:31 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:
Vice Versas

I remember Vice Versas. Used to watch the ads on TV growing up,

Now that you mention it, I remember that ad. Didn't have some Irish guy saying "Dere Broon, dere white, dere broon, dere white"?

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:41 am 

Alongside Pork Pies, you used to get Bacon & Chutney pies. They were way nicer, haven't seen one in years.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:41 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Soda Pops: These were a brand of lollipops with a fizzy centre. I guess it must have been made with bi-carb soda or something. They were really fun to eat.

Yeah we had these in SA too. Those things were dangerous actually, you'd be sucking on them, the fizz would start coming out, next thing you know your tongue was cut and bleeding. [EDIT: That sounded wrong] Didn't know they stopped making them though.

I haven't had Mello Yello in ages, as in, I haven't seen it anywhere, but I think they are making it again? I also miss Virgin Cola, that was a solid cola. Not sure what else I miss, maybe those rare times I bought a Kinder Egg and got an Asterix figure to build (those Asterix figures were awesome btw).

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 am 

lurkist wrote:
Alongside Pork Pies, you used to get Bacon & Chutney pies. They were way nicer, haven't seen one in years.

I like a good bacon and cheese pie, but that sounds revolting.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 am 

waiguoren wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

I haven't had Mello Yello in ages, as in, I haven't seen it anywhere, but I think they are making it again? .

I don't know about South Africa, but you can still get it in Australia; personally I prefer it to Lift or Solo.

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:41 am 

Keebler made these butter pretzels for a while in the 90s. Those were delicious. I think Snyder's or someone makes a butter flavor these days, but they aren't nearly as good.

I swear they've changed the Dominos Pizza recipe, too, and i don't mean the overhaul they did a couple of years ago. Even before that, it had changed from what it was when I was a kid. No sources seem to say this, though, so maybe it was just the one by my house that was screwing up the quality. Or maybe I just had one by my house as a kid that was exceptional...

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Hnnng yes, Vice Versas were amazing. Are amazing, I should say. Nestle brought them back due to a facebook campaign: http://www.nestle.co.uk/media/pressrele ... e%20versas, http://www.britishsweets.com.au/Nestle- ... Pouch-126g

I was longing for a bag of these awesome little bastards for years, was quite chuffed to find them stocked to the rafters at my local supermarket a couple of months ago. The dark ages are finally over!

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:43 am 

I wish I had a million of those Oreo O's cereals in my house, but I don't. Apparently they're only in Korea or so. What I'd give. (yummm)

waiguoren wrote:
I haven't had Mello Yello in ages, as in, I haven't seen it anywhere, but I think they are making it again?

When I was on active duty orders just a week ago at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, they had Mello Yello in the PX dining area with the rest of the sodas. Wanted some but it would have been overload for the meal I had.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am 

I know it isn't theoretically a "sweet", but I reminisce about pizza rolls back when they were good. Nowadays they changed the "recipe" and they are full of some indescribable orange goop, no visible pepperoni or cheese. It tastes like shit and they never get crispy, I used to overcook mine intentionally because it made them better. Nowadays, I have an empty void where they once were.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 am 

Forget who made them....maybe it was Smucker's or some other jelly company...but they were strawberry or raspberry PB&J cups. Like Reese's but with jelly - super legit....also, fucking Pepsi blue. It was terrible, but I remember the taste so well. I just want to taste it again.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:49 am 

We used to have pizza crackers here. Little crackers with spices and cheese sticking on one side. Loved the hell out of them. They don't sell them anymore. :(

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm 

Mackintosh's Toffee bars. The individually wrapped toffees aren't even close to being the same.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:

Remember Vault? My friends and I always joked that they came across some bigass locked vault full of Surge and they were like, "oh shit, we can sell this and make money! But, if we just market it as Surge, people might figure out that this is just years-old stock. So, we've gotta call it something else. *Looks around* How about 'Vault'?"

As for sodas and soda-esques: I really liked Sprite Remix (basically skittlebrau but with Sprite instead of beer). Back during the energy drink boom, I also really liked all of the various Full Throttle flavors; the ultra-short-lived green can of blueberry flavored "Mother" Full Throttle was particularly tasty.

I remember there used to be a lot more flavors of Twix at one point, and I was pretty fond of the peanut butter ones. I think there was possibly even a mint one. I was also blown away by the abundance and quality of Kit Kat bars in the UK; around here there's just the one standard flavor.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I remember there used to be a lot more flavors of Twix at one point, and I was pretty fond of the peanut butter ones. I think there was possibly even a mint one. I was also blown away by the abundance and quality of Kit Kat bars in the UK; around here there's just the one standard flavor.

I had this foreign exchange student from Japan in my school before. He actually gave me some Green Tea Kit Kat bar. It was AWESMAZING. Apparently Japan has a crazy array of kit kat bars.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:54 pm 

Gotta agree with Ozzy on the Oreo O's cereal. That stuff was fucking delicious. I do miss French Toast Crunch cereal too. As far as I know, they still make it, but it isn't sold in America.

The Monster DUB (essentially grape flavored monster) in a BFC can was always a favorite, but I never see it anymore. On the off chance I stumble upon it in some backwoods convenience store down here, it's out of date, and in a normal sized can.

But speaking on sweets. Anyone remember the Nestle Wonder Ball? That chocolate ball full of SweetTart-like candies shaped like Disney characters? That needs to come back.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:34 pm 

OH FUCK. WONDER BALL. Yes.

Dat blend of "smartie" style tart and chocolate was so fucking legit.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm 

Aw shit yeah, the wonder ball! Also, I remember back in the 90's Planter's used to put out a peanut-shaped snack that came in medium-sized red bags. These were fucking delicious; a wafer shell with wafer and peanut butter on the inside. There was a also a chocolate-covered counterpart with no peanut butter inside. It's actually clinically despressing these aren't made anymore.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:10 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

I had this foreign exchange student from Japan in my school before. He actually gave me some Green Tea Kit Kat bar. It was AWESMAZING. Apparently Japan has a crazy array of kit kat bars.

One of the guys at my work went to Macau island and brought back like 20 of the most ridiculous flavored kit kats ever, it's like some kind of collectors candy over there... apparently people don't even eat them they just collect the flavors. Anyway we ate them all and they were delicious and they should come to the USA! I like how the chocolate itself is different colors like green, yellow, purple etc.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
These were fucking delicious; a wafer shell with wafer and peanut butter on the inside. There was a also a chocolate-covered counterpart with no peanut butter inside. It's actually clinically despressing these aren't made anymore.

YES! Dude, I was trying to figure that shit out. There's were absolutely crushing. My favorite snack by miles as a kid.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
One of the guys at my work went to Macau island and brought back like 20 of the most ridiculous flavored kit kats ever, it's like some kind of collectors candy over there... apparently people don't even eat them they just collect the flavors. Anyway we ate them all and they were delicious and they should come to the USA! I like how the chocolate itself is different colors like green, yellow, purple etc.

I just jizzed with no prior erection.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

I don't know if anyone has them but there used to be an ice cream bar called Tandem which was essentially vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate on one half and the other was sandwiched between cookies. That shit was incredible and I haven't seen them in about ten years.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 pm 

Sometimes I wonder if I was the only one who really liked Pepsi Blue.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 pm 

Does anybody else miss the old recipe that Burger King used for their chicken tenders? The old ones had this flavor that was really good, almost like they were grilled but I'm not sure if that's entirely what it was. They changed the recipe several years ago and now they just taste bland and totally flavorless... :(

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Does anybody else miss the old recipe that Burger King used for their chicken tenders? The old ones had this flavor that was really good, almost like they were grilled but I'm not sure if that's entirely what it was. They changed the recipe several years ago and now they just taste bland and totally flavorless... :(

KFC is superior!

Too bad no KFC in my town, so I have to consume McDonalds.

Regarding snacks, I wish that the old cheetos with some kind of shitty yellow or any other color ketchup (Seriously, it was yellow) which tasted just DELICIOUS were back.

Last edited by DarkWolfXV on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:27 pm 

I honestly don't remember their taste (that was like 10 years ago) but I do know that I'd like to try them again!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 pm 

They've recently brought back the soda Mellow Yellow, but it's just not the same sugary high equivalent to slamming 20ccs of crystal methamphetamine under your fingertips that it used to be.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

Yes, but it seems like the switch happened pretty recently. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it: some time after moving to this house, which was a little over two years ago, I got some mail letting me know that I was in the test market for Burger King delivery. They have a deal where you can get 40 tenders and 2 20oz sodas for $12 so of course I took advantage of this. I distinctly remember those early orders coming with crown-shaped tenders in the old recipe, over time shifting toward the new. So, the new recipe can't be older than about two years old (in my area anyway).

The old ones were definitely far superior though. The new ones are basically the same thing as McDonald's nuggets.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 pm 

I'm not sure how recently the change took place; I mean, I'm obviously younger than most people posting here so it definitely wasn't a decade or so ago. But it feels like it's been more than two years...

(EDIT: okay, I just went and checked and Wikipedia says the change occurred in March 2011. Oh well.)

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 pm 

Ok, Sprinkl'ins Yogurt. Anyone else remember these? Sprinkles in the lid that change the color of the yogurt? I had these things in my lunch box everyday as a kid.

And I remember the tenders MCf. I wanna call bullshit on Wikipedia though, it's easily been more than 2 years since that changed.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:19 pm 

Fruit Pastilles ice cream. Had pieces of Fruit Pastilles through it and the ice cream itself had a sort of sour taste to it. I remember most people I knew thought it was disgusting but they were all wrong.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 pm 

Jelly Tots -- used to get these things every time I went to the movies. Then they just disappeared without a trace. Now you can only get 'em from the UK, or something.
Irn-Bru Bars -- the most delicious and bad-for-my-teeth candy I've ever had. My buddy used to import these from Scotland by the kilo. I think they've been outlawed because of the dyes, or something.

daimajin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:36 pm 

Anyone remember those Mario Bros. Shasta flavors they had for a while? Mario Punch. Luigi Berry. Yoshi Apple.

Also, Koala Yummies and Cap'n Crunch's Deep Sea Crunch.

Good times.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am 

Nochielo wrote:
I don't know if anyone has them but there used to be an ice cream bar called Tandem which was essentially vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate on one half and the other was sandwiched between cookies. That shit was incredible and I haven't seen them in about ten years.

Sounds like something we have in Australia called a Maxibon. They were really popular for a while, then I guess sales started to fade, so they came up with a gimmick where the ice cream came in different flavours, but you wouldn't know which one until you opened the thing. Then they disappeared for a while, but I'm happy to say they came back and you can still get them to this day.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:48 am 

TheRealThing wrote:

THIS.

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:
These were fucking delicious; a wafer shell with wafer and peanut butter on the inside. There was a also a chocolate-covered counterpart with no peanut butter inside. It's actually clinically despressing these aren't made anymore.

YES! Dude, I was trying to figure that shit out. There's were absolutely crushing. My favorite snack by miles as a kid.

PB CRISPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the one's I truly miss above all. MAGIC FUCKING MIDDLES NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNONMNONMOLNOMNONOMOMNOMMMM

This is now my favorite thread on the archives, hands down.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next