Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:37 am 

I just did my top 50. With my ratings, it's fair to say that although the numbers are arbitrary, the top 10 are essential albums that I'd struggle to enjoy life without, whereas the rest of the 40 are, as a whole, that which makes up about 99% of the music I regularly listen to. Also, I limited it to one album per band... except for Angelic Process, 'cos I love them so much.

Spoiler: show

I'll add some more comments later :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 am 

After an hour of hard work I finally came up with a top 100 I could somewhat agree with later on. Had to cross out lots of great albums like Litany, Outer Isolation, Unquestionable Presence, etc., but I think
this works well enough. I limited it to 1 album per band so each of my favorites could get a chance. My top 10 consists of albums I'd give at least 99%, it was a tight spot between CTAWB and M&M, but my Immolation fanboyism came through. I think the prevalent genre in the list is death metal, but there's a fair share of almost every genre. The first two categories are made in an order while I didn't take the third one just as serious.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 am 

I've now made a seperate top 50 for non-metal albums as well:

Here's the first one updated to metal-only:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:15 am 

Timewind is in both of them though. :-P

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 am 

Goddamnit. Eh, who cares.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Klaus Schulze ... he's the bee's knees

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 am 

Timewind is a honorary metal album then. :-P

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 pm 

Here's my non-metal top 100, it was hard to narrow down and I'm definitely missing some great stuff.

Arbeit's "Zum Einem Neuen Licht" would be on the top ten, but I couldn't find it on the database.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 pm 

My top 100 non-metal. Theme: Fascism.

Mostly neofolk and a variety of other shit. I only got into Fire + Ice around a year ago but Ian Read's stuff has quickly become some of my favourite of the genre. And of course, the 4 Rush albums were obligatory.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:16 pm 

All-around top 100, the second-tier classics could be on the top 10 tomorrow:

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:21 pm 

mix of metal and non metal. first 10 are pretty accurate then the rest are in no order, just 90 albums i really love. left out a bunch i wish i could put in, but oh well

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:09 pm 

Good list Stephane, total abundance of feels.
Psytopsy wrote:
mix of metal and non metal. first 10 are pretty accurate then the rest are in no order, just 90 albums i really love. left out a bunch i wish i could put in, but oh well

It is a factual truth that World Coming Down is better than October Rust, and I'd but Bloody Kisses above it, as well. Solid list, good to see some Tupac in the mix.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Good list Stephane, total abundance of feels.
Psytopsy wrote:

It is a factual truth that World Coming Down is better than October Rust, and I'd but Bloody Kisses above it, as well. Solid list, good to see some Tupac in the mix.
october rust is their best album overall, no question.fight me :P and i like your non metal list there. obviously man's gin was going to be in there and they are indeed quite solid

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 pm 

This was made a handful of months ago. Readjusted it would include significantly more hip-hop.
caspian has better taste than all of you, by the way.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:37 am 

Finally got around to making my own - I'd made one about a year ago, but it needed some updating. This is an all-genres list - people who make a metal one and a non-metal one to make selection easier are cheaters!

In conclusion: I like brutal death metal, girly pop and a bunch of other shitty shit in between.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:12 am 

This is a great thread. I'm finding so much great shit in here that I'd never even heard of.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 am 

Ok, so this thread got me interested in doing another one. I don't think my tastes have changed enough in a year to really be worth a complete redoing of the old one, and I most likely don't even like a 100 non metal albums, so instead I opted for a top 100 death metal albums. I was expecting to run out of stuff around 60, but I'm pretty shocked by how much I really had to leave off. As it stands it's a disappointingly predictable and safe list, since most of my my more obscure likes fell between 90 and 200 when I made my full list. I've been pretty open on my listing, with tech death, blackened death, deathgrind and brutal death, old and new, all being acceptable, within reason of course, it's still ended up being mostly OSDM, but what can I say, my tastes are narrow haha. I also felt with the limitation in genre I could sneak in some demos and shortish EPs, but I had no idea how to rank them, so I just stuck them all at 90 to 100. And I cheated a little on a couple (Abhorrence and Timeghoul) by adding demo comps and saving some space.

Edit: The second Here in After is meant to be Dawn of Possession. Fuck.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:05 pm 

100 death metal albums and not one of them a Dismember album. :(
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm 

Here's mine. This is a good exercise in self awareness I guess, plus I like making lists.

As a 21yo I can count the years dedicated to metal on one hand, so I didnt fill the full 100 albums. Erring on the side of caution instead of putting up things I might regret later.

Melodic doom and epic metal are my passions as you can see. I keep using the words "melancholic, depressive, epic, psychedelic, progressive, melodic" in my analysis below which is absolutely a trend in everything I listen to. If there's any glaring reccomendations for me based in this then let me hear em.

Good to see a lot of Bathory, Doomsword and Atlantean Kodex on the first page! I didnt know that niche was so popular here.

Top Ten thoughts:

Atlantean Kodex - Atlantean Kodex
Massive, crushing, atmospheric epic metal. This blew my mind for quite a while. The mournful yearning tones combined with the Sword & Sorcery style glory is exactly what I need. The best of Manowar and Bathory's Twilight of the Gods combined.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
My favourite Priest album by a long shot. The longer progressive/epic songs and the 70s-style production are so great. The crescendos leading to Halfords piercing screams are physically damaging.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
The Mantle was initially my favourite album but I think I overplayed it and became desensitized. The progressive songs and amazing crescendos and guitar hooks just rock. There's no pagan-woodsy atmosphere on this one like in The Mantle, just heavy, melancholic post-metal amazement.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Melancholic and progressive. The track Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is probably my favourite of all time. Haunting, depressive atmosphere and sweet, pop-ish melodies throughout.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Incredibly psychedelic and emotionally moving.

Anathema - Eternity
A depressive guilty pleasure. The guitars and vocals are pretty heavy despite the band having recently moved to basically non-metal (Gothic Rock?) territory. Melodic and deeply, darkly heart-wrenching.

Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Hard to choose a favourite Maiden album, since I can honestly say I love every one. This one is a bit more progressive, a modern-ish heavy production, slightly darker songs, and 3 goddamned guitars in harmony.

Doomsword - Resound The Horn
True epic heavy metal. Stomping, marching, fist-pumping righteousness with somber tones and good, doomy heavinesss. The only other album of theirs I have heard - My Name Will Live On -, did something wrong and falls completely flat to me. Oh well, nothing can take away from the glory of Odin's Hall.

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Post rock that's pretty much electronic/piano music. It's rare that a band can go completely without vocals while holding my attention 100%. Evocative and progressive melodies and harmonies. This album is more downbeat/melodic and has less random dissonant parts, which is what I want.

Warning - Watching From a Distance
Fucking emotionally and physically crushing. Most of the time I can only listen to a song or two because it's pretty damn slow, but if I'm in the right mood then ho-ly fucking shit it's so crazy depressively beautiful.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 pm 

Well I did one of these about a year ago like so many others, but I decided to redo one from scratch without looking at my old one to see how much it changed. The real differences come from the fact that the old one was for albums most important to me, whereas this stands as more along the lines of just my favorites. Also, I tried to make this only full lengths, but made exceptions for Unleashed in the East and Tokyo Tales (the two greatest live albums ever) and Relativity and Battled (my two favorite EPs). I kept demos out which kept Nuns Have No Fun from ranking, but everybody knows how perfect that is already anyway. Behold, my incredibly not all that obscure or surprising Top 100!

Quick thoughts on the top ten:

HORSE the Band - The Mechanical Hand: I've rambled about this dozens of times, but I've still never properly reviewed it because I just can't fully speechify what makes it so beautiful to me. There's nothing about this album I don't like, and it's one of the most intensely personal experiences I've ever gone through. For a list that's so condensed with metal, it's strange that something as weird and non-metal as HORSE would be my favorite album of all time, but it is.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa: This is basically the bible of riff writing. Not one moment falls short, every song is jam packed with the greatest riffs written in the history of heavy metal, spectacular leads and melodies, and King at his best.

Judas Priest - Painkiller: To me, Priest had three apexes. Sin After Sin was their peak in the 70s, Defenders of the Faith in the 80s, and Painkiller for the rest of their career. Painkiller is basically just a revamped, refocused, and reenergized reimagining of Ram it Down, but a squillion times better. Another record with nothing I don't like on it, they put their all into this record and it shows.

Overkill - Feel the Fire: I give Overkill lots ||: and lots and lots :||x32 of shit for their middle era that everybody seems to handwave away, but their debut is really the greatest thing to happen in thrash metal. I remember screwing around playing bass one day, and writing this one riff I was super proud of. I didn't want to inflate myself, but I felt like it was the greatest, most purest thrash riff ever written. I later learned that I had just accidentally written the main riff to "Hammerhead". This is the last album in the top 10 I'd give 100% to (yeah yeah, In Somniphobia is on here somewhere, but it's just too new for me to feel comfortable placing this high up).

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol: I've reviewed this already, and can't be any clearer on how much I love it. It's one of the best concept albums of all time, the story and music intertwine perfectly, the emotional impact is among the heaviest I've ever experienced, almost everything about it is perfect. I flog myself every day for writing off the band as a silly glam band for all the years I did.

Slayer - Reign in Blood: My love for this one has actually gotten me in trouble :p. Despite what people (dumbasses) say, there are no fillers, the entire album is chock full of identity and memorability, and it's just twice the intensity in half the time. This is the other greatest thing to happen in thrash. Never before has such a popular and well loved album been so simultaneously underrated.

Strapping Young Lad - City: Another one of the most personal albums out there. Everything is just the most perfect representation of depression, frustration, and anger put to music. Something like Silencer can really nail the despair of depression, but this captures the frustration with the hopelessness beautifully. I've you've ever fought depression and been pissed about it, you can relate to this album.

Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory: My favorite band, and the greatest speed metal album ever written. If it weren't for "Preacher", this would be another 100% album. This should be mandatory listening for everybody looking to explore metal.

Bad Religion - No Control: My second favorite band, and one of the greatest punk albums ever written. I prefer my music to be fast and melodic, and this is the perfect blend of the two in the context of punk rock. Every last track is the catchiest song ever written.

Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond: My third favorite band, and one of the greatest whatever this is albums ever written. I obviously tend to prefer BG's speed metal albums to their power metal ones, but this (and I know it's super cliche) is the best of both worlds. I've lately been spinning Tales from the Twilight World more often, but I relistened to this while making this and yeah, every song is still beyond incredible.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Slayer - Reign in Blood: My love for this one has actually gotten me in trouble :p. Despite what people (dumbasses) say

Nah, being a bit of a twat about it is what got you in "trouble."

I don't think I could do 100 top albums. Anything past 15 or so is rather pointless as the ranking becomes more and more superfluous the further you go down the list. That and I'm a lazy bastard. Probably couldn't tell you my top 5 albums. Stuff I'd consider #1 top album, my favourite that's never going to be dethroned or knocked off it's pedestal will fall by the wayside and when I revisit it, it doesn't have that same luster.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm 

Man everytime I do this, I do it different. I mean, the top 30 or so won't change, but everything below is different depending on my memory and mood.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 pm 

Finally got to doing one that I actually felt comfortable with at the end. I only did one album per band, because it was way lopsided with my favorites. A few of these don't get much playtime anymore but have help to shape my current listening tastes.

There are always some that get left out, but I feel OK with this one. If I do another, it will be for albums that guided me through childhood. Maybe I'll do one like that tonight. On another note, it's good to see a lot of love for some power metal classics.

EDIT: Realized I missed Arcturus, Marduk and a whole bunch of other ones. Maybe I should make a top 100 for each genre.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
100 death metal albums and not one of them a Dismember album. :(

I believe I&O missed out by less than ten spots. Not a big Swedeath guy so there isn't much there, but Dismember are one I.was expecting to make.the cut.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:21 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
At first, I made it trying to not include the same band twice, but then I gave up. I know what I like, so expect a little repetition here. Only included one album from, say, The House of Atreus to keep repetition to a minimum. Anyways, it's not like I throw full discographies there.

Only a few non-metal albums, three or four I think. Lots of power & black. Not surprising at all (and yeah, a Hatebreed album).

Everybody knows about the albums included, so I will not talk about them (the reviews here do a far better work than I could). What I could say, is that these albums are the soundtrack of my life, basically. They are not only masterpieces. I have emotional bonds with these albums, and at the risk of sounding a bit pretentious, they represent sides of my personality and how I felt at some point in my life. I felt miserable (The Crimson Idol) and I felt like I was at the top of the fucking world (Invictus), for instance. These albums are important to me, it may sound a bit cheesy, but it is what it is, and I'm in a forum of passionate individuals, I know you guys can understand (and maybe relate) to what I'm trying to say.

Well, that sounded a bit gay. To what matters, my list:

That was fun!

What is the English for the one with the Asian language characters? (Sorry, I can't tell what language it is)

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm 

^ It's: ミドリ - あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。 (Midori - Aratamemashite, Hajimemashite, Midori Desu.) Never heard of the artist/band, though. But I'm slightly interested by now, too. A standard J-pop effort or something else? Hmm.

Anyway, I have tried to do this 3 times myself now, but just can't get completed. I'll finish it one of these days!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:54 pm 

Deviante wrote:
^ It's: ミドリ - あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。 (Midori - Aratamemashite, Hajimemashite, Midori Desu.) Never heard of the artist/band, though. But I'm slightly interested by now, too. A standard J-pop effort or something else? Hmm.

Anyway, I have tried to do this 3 times myself now, but just can't get completed. I'll finish it one of these days!

I'm not at all familiar with that record but Midori is a clusterfuck of post-hardcore, jazz fusion...and whatever. Definetly not standard.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:59 pm 

Hello, nice to meet you, we are Midori would be the name of the album in english.

it's not standard or j-pop by any means, in fact, I think any metalhead could enjoy it. It's punkish, and weird, yeah, but very heavy, the screams of the vocalist are insane and are among the most intense shit I ever heard. It's interesting, to say the least.

The only four non-metal albums, aside from that one are the La Polla Records's one (a spanish punk band) the Lady Gaga's last one and well... In Rock and the Rainbow one technically are not metal...

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 pm 

To be honest I just went out on a limb there, going by the name (the Midori-album) and the impression it gave me upon reading it. Though that being said, looking at the cover, I should have given it a bit more thought. You guys' descriptions of the sound made me want to listen to it, so thanks.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 pm 

Let me know if you find a place to hear the album online. I couldn't find anything.

Also, out of curiosity Desperta, what is it about the Lady Gaga album that places it among your top 100?

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:56 pm 

Good question.
Let me say that I'm totally ignorant when it comes to music. I only know metal and punk... so, loud guitars all the time. Lady Gaga was the first non-screaming, non-louderthanhell thing I enjoyed. I think it was important to include that album among my top-100 because it was a big deal, I said to myself: "look, I like an album when someone doesn't scream, for a change".

Also, I like her voice and the over the top imagery she displays.
For the record, Madonna's voice does nothing for me, in spite of everyone saying that Gaga is just ripping her off.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

I had a very difficult time narrowing this down!
The order is not really strict at all. According to my mood, most of them could be rearranged.

Over a third are black metal based, or some sort of black metal hybrid (I expected perhaps more).
About a fifth aren't metal at all, most being some darkwave stuff, folk or ambient.

It will be very interesting to look back at this in a year or so and see what has/has not changed.

Last edited by ravagingthemassacred on Thu May 23, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Good question.
Let me say that I'm totally ignorant when it comes to music. I only know metal and punk... so, loud guitars all the time. Lady Gaga was the first non-screaming, non-louderthanhell thing I enjoyed. I think it was important to include that album among my top-100 because it was a big deal, I said to myself: "look, I like an album when someone doesn't scream, for a change".

Also, I like her voice and the over the top imagery she displays.
For the record, Madonna's voice does nothing for me, in spite of everyone saying that Gaga is just ripping her off.

It seems like a decent portion of people into metal do tend to appreciate her theatricality. I get the landmark thing of realizing this could be a gateway into a whole new world. I thought that's what was happening when I got into Disfear's recent ouput, but so far, I haven't liked much else crust or d beat.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 pm 

Indeed, helping extreme music fans to appreciate non-extreme music forms, haha

Besides, is one of the few female vocalist I can stand and actually like. At the risk of sounding misogynist or whatever, I tend to dislike female vocalists (the few ones I dig are there in my top 100, in Hellion and Crystal Viper) but when, say, Amanda Somerville pops up in my Avantasia, I'm tempted to skip the song.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

In case anyone was wondering, here's mine.
I originally did one this week and put it on The Rim but fucked it up so here's a redone version with no mistakes and proper thought also went into this one too.

My top 4 have always been the same, have been for several years and are in order.
The seconds are albums I do like more than the other favourites so it's not just random but apart from the top 4, the others aren't in order as that'd take me too long to think about.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:02 pm 

My rules for this:
*Black metal only.
*One album per band per tier.
*No splits.
*No particular organization.

Some picks I'm 100% satisfied with (Under a Funeral Moon in my top 10), some could be swapped for other albums by the same band (I like a number of Gnaw Their Tongues album about equally), some albums stretch the whole black metal label (Liturgy and Lifelover for example, though I had enough restraint to not include Deafheaven's Sunbather), some felt like space filling choices a bit, some are albums I've just recently gotten into and as such might not be long lasting as I cannot tell how my tastes might change (just recently started listening to Impaled Nazarene) and there are some I wanted to put in but haven't listened to in a while (Gris!) so I avoided it for safety's sake. I think I have a good mix of albums from a chronological perspective, ranging from 1987 to the present year. All things considered, I am overall satisfied.

Anyway, re: my top 10...

Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon: My favorite black metal album of all time. I don't think it's as good as Panzerfaust or Transilvanian Hunger but I love it more than those two combined. Even if this collage had non-BM, it'd be in my top 10. Disturbing, harsh yet memorable riffs. Unmatchable atmosphere and power. Without the somewhat iffy riff that starts "Inn i de dype skogers favn" it would be hands down one of the most perfect black metal albums, at least to my ears. Alien and epic, it's truly a forceful piece of music that both paid tribute to the past (something 'round these parts sounds like Bathory) and paved way for the future.

Burzum - Filosofem: Again I think Hvis lyset tar oss is the better album between the two, but I simply prefer Filosofem. Along with the pair from Darkthrone, Varg had a unique and rare ability to shift from riff to riff effortlessly. The gentle use of keyboards on tracks like "Burzum", the unforgetable riff that opens "Jesu Død" and the 25 minute long meditation that is "Rundtgåing av den Transcendentale Egenhetens Støtte", amongst other aspects, are why this album is rightly considered a classic in the genre.

Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum: This might be weird but this album makes me think of Rubix cubes. It's a puzzle like and aestheticly riveting album that needs to be focused upon and pieced together. I love the way different styles interact to tell sonic stories as the album progresses. You have the shifting, dissonant riffs; the melodic leads; the occassional more standard black metal riff; slower, more thoughtful parts; moments of silence. And they all piece together to make something I find intellectually stimulating in a way most music fails to be for me.

Peste Noire - Les Démos: Les Démos might seem like a weird choice but, despite my love for recent Peste Noire's bizarre riffage, early Peste Noire material is my favorite, and the raw treatment it gets on the early demo tapes really adds to the atmosphere. It's a shame "666 Millions d'Esclaves et de Déchets" didn't make it on to a full length because it's a favorite, and the melancholy of tracks like "Spleen" and "Dueil Angoisseus" touch me every time. The 20 minute rendition of "Phalènes et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse" is epic, the Valfunde tracks are great, etc. Basically a collection of everything that made early Peste Noire great.

Sigh - Hail Horror Hail: Weirdo black metal from the Japanese masters. Definitely my favorite Sigh album. I rock out to the title track often times when I need something energetic and the chorus of "42 49" gets stuck in my head all the time. It's bizarre and disjointed in a way that works and has an overarching sense of darkness and dread to it. It's flamboyant but remains dark in a way that Imaginary Sonicscape isn't. And trim away all the avant-garde noodling and you have some damn fine riffs, which is what metal is about anyway, right?

Ash Pool - Genital Tomb: Ash Pool are one of my favorite USBM acts. I love Dominic Fernow's work in general, especially Prurient but also Vatican Shadow, Christian Cosmos, his synth work in Cold Cave and more. Ash Pool is him and Kris Lapke (Alberich, Bronze Age) and what they created here is a short EP of super raw, super dark, super rapey black metal that is some how catchy yet still fierce and unpolished. "First Rape" gets stuck in my head frequently and the opening of "Dragged Down the Cobblestones" is brilliant. "Lascivious Tyranny" and "Demolishing Obsession" are both ferocious. Boomkat is right in its description that the album is unheimlich as it has the familiarity of black metal but a unique substance and style that leave it standing on its own.

Panopticon - ...On the Subject of Mortality: A beautiful blend of post-rock, shoegaze and black metal in a wholly unique fashion. If the word "blackgaze" makes you vomit don't fear, this is its own breed of music. It's poignant and atmospheric, a meditation on death and mortality that engages with both our primal fear of and fascination with the subject of death and each song has a unique and identifiable structure. Really displays what makes me think Panopticon is such an interesting and vital project.

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora: These guys often get flack but Autumn Aurora is a beautiful, holistic piece of work that brings to mind the atmospheric effectiveness of Burzum's third and fourth albums while maintaining a folk inflected uniqueness in riffing style and aesthetics. The way the first three tracks blend together into one beautiful movement is immense, the leading folky riff of "Sunwheel" is catchy as shit and "The First Snow" manages to evoke a rare kind of captivating minimalism.

Archgoat - The Aeon of Angelslaying Darkness: Fuck the second CD, the only thing I care about here is the first one, which is a collection of Archgoat's early material, which I fucking lovelovelove. It's brutal, raw and filthy in a way only the Finnish scene seems to be able to manage. The riffs are crude, harsh and violent just as it should be and the vocals sound like a tortured demon gurgling from the bottom of a pit. There's not much you can say about it because it's so simple, but it's intensity and minimalistic brutality really do it for me.

Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve: These guys get ragged on for their trolling but this album is gorgeous. Listening to it is like being enshrouded in a cool forest fog at night. Have you ever been somewhere at night where the air feels palpable? The atmosphere feels like that for me. The complete minimum of what is necessary to differentiate itself from guitar based ambient. The riffs are captivating enough to maintain your attention but remain simply and fuzzed out enough never to draw you too fully out of the meditative state it puts you in. Perfect meditative black metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:22 pm 

Snowgrave's top 100. The man has good taste!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 am 

To be honest, I didn't really over think it! I just went with my gut, with albums that I really like and that I play more often than others. I don't "collect" albums, when I get a record or download stuff, it is because I am actually going to listen to it.
My top 10 are mostly heavy metal classics that have made their rounds on several "best of" lists. Jag Panzer's Ample Destruction is to me still the epitome of raw metal mayhem. Manowar's Hail To England and StormWarrior's debut are both rugged battle masterpieces that I treasure and that I enjoy thoroughly and without apology. I just had to mention Savatage's Hall Of The Mountain King because although it sounds dated now it still sounds elegant and pompous like the first time i heard it. Mercyful Fate's Melissa is fucking glorious, evil and dramatic as hell and with the best riffing to ever grace metal and Crimson Glory's Transcendence is sheer prog/power craft before that art form was populated by samey formulaic bands. Agent Steel, Iron Maiden and Leige Lord close things out for me.

The rest of the list is of no particular order and is just a collection of albums that I have listened to endless times and still blow me way. Most of my list is traditional heavy metal, of course.

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:07 am 

Made this a few days ago. Not much into metal at the moment, mostly just black and doom metal(there's not even 15 metal albums on this chart). Please ignore my terrible tastes, I really like emo and I'm trying to get more into prog rock/krautrock stuff. The top 10 was really easy for me, those haven't changed in quite a while.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:39 am 

EnemyofLight wrote:
Made this a few days ago. Not much into metal at the moment, mostly just black and doom metal(there's not even 15 metal albums on this chart). Please ignore my terrible tastes, I really like emo and I'm trying to get more into prog rock/krautrock stuff. The top 10 was really easy for me, those haven't changed in quite a while.

There's some good ones on there. Usually not my taste, but my buddy's band has played with Pianos Become the Teeth a few times. They're a blast live.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next