Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:33 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Well you could always listen to In Flames covering Depeche Mode.

Or Vader:

My collection

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 am 

Also, Ghost.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:51 am 

Goddamn, that Vader cover sucks. After the awesome 'Reborn in the Flames' it always comes out and I'm running for the stop button. Stupid fucking bonus track!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:19 am 

I've got this queued up.

Video-bootleg of a Jex Thoth show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp4__G5D7jQ

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 am 

Thanks shouvince, Jex Thoth fits my mood (melancholic) and the weather outside (wet and gloomy) quite perfectly.

This just in: Brief summary of what the NSA scandal's implications are for cryptography and internet security.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Goddamn, that Vader cover sucks.

NO WAY. That cover is bloody awesome. If I ever do a party or something I'm gonna play that at the end.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:41 am 

Subrick wrote:
I absolutely refuse to listen to the current In Flames doing The Hive live. I want to keep my memories of that album untarnished by what the band has ultimately turned into over the last decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7C6LRL6qX0

Sounds fine to me.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
So what are my tastes then eh?

A huge death metal fan especially of the dark, sinister variant. Also into a fair bit of black metal, as well as Primordial.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 am 

inhumanist wrote:

Interesting info on why NSA spies on Brazil http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... razil.html
Turns out it has little to do with the country itself.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Food isn't a necessary item to me.

:???:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am 

Food is for weaklings and fatsos, I get my nutrients from riffs and distortion

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 am 

Subrick wrote:
I'm completely unfamiliar with Depeche Mode outside of Waiting for the Night and Enjoy the Silence. They're a band that I know makes really good stuff but has never been my cup of tea aside from those two songs, and moreso the former.

They're a great band. So much better than Ghost, In Flames, etc. :p I only have Violator but it's really cool, I dig the serene tranciness and sophistication of it. Been a few months since I heard it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 pm 

The best Depeche Mode material starts with Some Great Reward and ends with Songs of Faith and Devotion. From those, Black Celebration is probably the best, with Music for the Masses and Violator. BC has a quite dark atmosphere and is probably the darkest album from them. MftM has an excellent piano work, while feels less heavy in the synth deparment but it still has a lot of layers going on. A bit of that returned in Violator, where some songs have a Kraftwerk influence that I totally dig. SoFaD is strange; it feels a bit forced but it also has some great tracks. IMO, Alan Wilder was the key ingredient to make DM outstanding.

DM live sounds excellent too.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 pm 

No love for Playing the Angel here? That one is sexy as hell.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm 

It feels a bit empty to me. It's not 'bad' but below DM standards of old. The Pain that I'm used to and John the Revelator are great songs tho. The former could have been a great inclusion in Ultra and the latter (with proper production) would have been a nice Black Celebration bonus track.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:36 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
No love for Playing the Angel here? That one is sexy as hell.

I've got a Playing the Angel poster on my wall right next to me, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite DM album.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:09 pm 

Not I favourite of mine either, but it's pretty up there if you ask me. A Pain that I'm Used To and John the Revelator are certainly its main highlights, but stuff like The Sinner in Me and Precious certainly tickles my fancy.

On the subject of DM, has anyone in here listened to Delta Machine?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

This is appears to be the most damaging thing the NSA did, as they ultimately made the lives of identity thieves and credit card thieves easier, as well as authoritarian governments trying to suppress their own people. That being said, this should only be half-shocking. Early on in the Obama administration, the White House publicly stated they wanted tech companies to insert "back doors" into their software that would enable the intelligence community to access their information networks whenever they wanted (er, whenever they had a warrant :roll:), and they tried to get Congress to pass a law authorizing this. I don't remember if they passed the law, but it doesn't look like it matters anyway because they were already committed to manipulating all internet security in the entire world with or without Congress.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:36 pm 

Marag wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Interesting info on why NSA spies on Brazil http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... razil.html
Turns out it has little to do with the country itself.

Fascinating. It's like Operation Ivy Bells on steroids. And global, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ivy_Bells

surferstud90210
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 pm 

This thread has really disturbed me.

OK, so I was reading a different thread, and I saw Earthcubed's signature containing iamnotbatman's comment about cousin love. This motivated me to use the search function to locate the discussion being referred to, and I really cannot even begin to properly describe how disturbing it was for me to read the countless comments which flowed forth to indicate that there exists here a shockingly profound level of ignorance pertaining to the basic facts of the matter. There exists not even the slightest shred of doubt in my mind that it is my moral duty to rectify the extraordinary ignorance which I was extremely upset to have unfortunately encountered in this thread.

Napero wrote:
Necessitarian wrote:
What's the moral difference between cousin fucking and homosexuality? Two consenting adults, harming no one.

Somewhere in the grey area between butt-ugly toothless banjo playing twins called Cletus and Bubba, and fabulous material choices for the pillows that really tie the space together?

That is quite frankly one of the most factually incorrect things I have ever read in my life. That would be like me saying that the difference between homosexuality and cousin love is that homosexuals deliberately infect themselves with STDs for fetish reasons and spread AIDS around before dying of it, while cousin lovers are people like Albert Einstein and his wife (in fact, Einstein's wife was his first cousin maternally and his second cousin paternally, which also means that Einstein himself was a product of inbreeding). My previous sentence will surely offend the sensibilities of many here, even though the bug chaser community is indeed a very real part of the gay subculture (many gay bug chasers even go so far as to refer to AIDS as "the gift"), but rest assured I am merely pointing out the offensive and ignorant nature of Napero's post above. I only made my comparison in order to illustrate how deeply those qualities are embodied by Napero's post

Also, the real difference between cousin love and homosexuality is that literally everyone alive today directly owes his or her existence to reproduction between first cousins and second cousins, whereas the same cannot be even remotely said at all about the fruits of homosexuality (pun unintended, but a good one nonetheless). It is estimated that 80% of all marriages historically have been between first cousins and second cousins. Arguably no human on this planet would even be alive today were it not for the constant sexual reproduction between first cousins and second cousins which has served to sustain the existence of humanity for countless millennia and the majority of humanity's entire presence on this planet. Next time anyone of you here feels grateful for being alive, know that you owe your entire existence to the fact that the vast majority of your ancestors mated with their first cousins and second cousins.

Once more: know that it is only because of "cousin fuckers" that you are alive today and feeling any sort of happiness or pleasure at all in your life. Now say, "Thank you, cousin fuckers".

Last edited by Morrigan on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was banned for this post (ban evasion).

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:47 pm 

Napoleon? :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:47 pm 

wat

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:49 pm 

Yeah it's him. I'm fairly sure that's actually Mornelithe Falconsbane anyway, just couldn't prove it. Makes no difference, he's equally trollish/retarded.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:47 pm 

Surfer Stud? Jesus.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:14 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah it's him. I'm fairly sure that's actually Mornelithe Falconsbane anyway, just couldn't prove it. Makes no difference, he's equally trollish/retarded.

Wow, haven't seen that guy around here for a while. You really think? I didn't feel this was his style at all.

The new Root review (for Hell Symphony) manages to give the record a perfect score and yet really annoy me at the same time. Weird.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm 

I didn't know every homosexual chases bugs just to get AIDS intentionally. Also, I wasn't aware that inbreeding is actually good for the health of people. If Einstein did it, it must be better than Vitamin C AND cannabis combined. I'm going to trade my wife for a cousin as soon as one is available. I want to be like Einstein. And damn those homosexuals and their wish to get AIDS! I've been supportive of their cause for a long while, but had I known this, I would have done as Napoleon did, and joined NAMBLA. I hope they all get AIDS and die!

...no... ...wait a minute...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:18 pm 

Napero wrote:
joined NAMBLA.

"North American Man/Boy Love Association"

Is this for real?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:11 pm 

:nods:

....... :nono:

Cesare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 pm 

Napero wrote:
I didn't know every homosexual chases bugs just to get AIDS intentionally. Also, I wasn't aware that inbreeding is actually good for the health of people. If Einstein did it, it must be better than Vitamin C AND cannabis combined. I'm going to trade my wife for a cousin as soon as one is available. I want to be like Einstein. And damn those homosexuals and their wish to get AIDS! I've been supportive of their cause for a long while, but had I known this, I would have done as Napoleon did, and joined NAMBLA. I hope they all get AIDS and die!

...no... ...wait a minute...

Where did he ever say that all homosexuals or even most homosexuals chase bugs? Also, accusing someone of being a member of NAMBLA is a pretty serious accusation. Do you have any evidence to back that up? Or is that just a random piece of defamation which you came up with completely out of the blue?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 pm 

Wut.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 pm 

Silly trolls...

Cesare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

No, I am not him. I just don't think it's proper to attack someone who can't even stand up for himself because he's been banned.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:44 pm 

You just registered. To defend "him".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 pm 

I totally believe that's a completely different guy. Not suspicious at all if you ask me.

Cesare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:56 pm 

inhumanist, the only thing that proves is that I find the conversation to be interesting. What Empyreal said is definitely the most reasonable perspective on the matter. I thank him for his good faith and his intuitive grasp of the fact that I am a completely different person than that surferstud90210 guy.

I hardly know anything about mating between cousins, but surferstud90210's post sparked an interest in it for me. I was looking at the Wikipedia article for it, and I read this very insightful paragraph about it:

Quote:
In April 2002, the Journal of Genetic Counseling released a report which estimated the average risk of birth defects in a child born of first cousins at 1.7–2.8% over an average base risk for non-cousin couples of 3%, or about the same as that of any woman over age 40.[185] In terms of mortality, a 1994 study found a mean excess pre-reproductive mortality rate of 4.4%,[186] While another study published in 2009 suggests the rate may be closer to 3.5%.[1] Put differently, first-cousin marriage entails a similar increased risk of birth defects and mortality as a woman faces when she gives birth at age 41 rather than at 30.[187] Critics argue that banning first-cousin marriages would make as much sense as trying to ban childbearing by older women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage#Genetics

Looks like the genetic risks aren't that high.

Last edited by Cesare on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 pm 

I just huffed a kilo of jenkem, feels good man.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Esoteric
RETIRED?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Using a proxy IP, no less.

Not that fucking hard to figure out.

Cesare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:30 pm 

Esoteric wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Using a proxy IP, no less.

Not that fucking hard to figure out.

That only means that I care about my privacy. There's no real evidence to support the claim that I am that surferstud90210 guy.

We are quite clearly separate people in every respect possible.

Esoteric
RETIRED?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 pm 

Cesare wrote:
That only means that I care about my privacy. There's no real evidence to support the claim that I am that surferstud90210 guy.

We are quite clearly separate people in every respect possible.

Riiiiiiiight.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260 ... 518  Next