Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm 

No, it's a soup made of actual abortions. It could be a hoax though, I'm not sure now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:02 pm 

It is.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/fetus.asp

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm 

God that is so old, you guys need to brush up on your deep-internet exploring.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:
While we're on the subject of fast food, anybody else hear that Subway is taking an elasticity chemical out of their breads?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... d/5236537/

The chemical, Azodiacarbonamide, is commonly used in yoga mats, shoe rubber, and synthetic leather.

Oh, and McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Chick fil-a use it too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ducts.html

Yeah the wife told me about that the other day. She was learning about it in molecular biology or something, I can't remember the name of the classes she takes. Either way that's some fucked up stuff.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26220304

Apart from details regarding specific horrid instances of torture, I don't know that there is anything truly new here. Still worth a read regardless. It's amazing (and depressing) what state monopoly control of information makes possible. I don't think a situation like that could last as long as it has in North Korea without that kind of censorship.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Subrick wrote:
And the one time she did post in the metal discussion section, her post wasn't even about metal, so I'm lead to believe she never once talked about metal.

So what? I almost never talk about metal either.

I always thought it was pretty weird how the administrators never talked much about music. I mean, I only know for sure that you like Melechesh and..... Skyclad, I think? And Constanti-...... I mean, HellBlazer is pretty much a mystery.

Not that it matters, really. Always thought that was curious, that's all :-P

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 pm 

Bolt Thrower. Don't forget them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:15 pm 

That doesn't count. I don't know anyone here who doesn't like at least one of their albums, myself included.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm 

Also Manilla Road. That reminds me, I need to buy a MR shirt and get a sword.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 pm 

Funny how Bolt Thrower only ever gets a mention for being very reliable, but no one ever gets in to much detail. And yeah, Bolt Thrower is great live, but their studio material is pretty mediocre. It never exceeds 'okay'. I still regret buying a Bolt Thrower t-shit at a Bolt Thrower/Malevolent Creation tour, since Malevolent Creation has become one of my favorite, if not my favorite, old school death metal band.

last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:33 pm 

I've only heard a couple Bolt Thrower albums, but I don't trust someone who doesn't think Those Once Loyal has some fuckin amazing riffs.

I remember Morrigan mentioning she likes Morgana Lefay; good taste there!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 pm 

hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-y1N29vH2Y

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:46 pm 

@Ohrwurm: No, you're wrong. Bolt Thrower are awesome. Up to & including For Victory... that is. Of course I understand why people love later BT, its certainly enjoyable, but the early stuff is the real deal. Pure grinding war death metal perfection. Great atmosphere, lots of character and riffs that crush everything.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:48 pm 

Don't forget Iron Maiden and I'm fairly certain Bathory as well. Though I'm not sure why it matters what Morrigan and HB listen to.
And about Bolt Thrower, I see why some people think they're amazing but I'm definitely in the good solid band that does the same thing all the time but never really sucks yet fails to ever be amazing camp.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Don't forget Iron Maiden and I'm fairly certain Bathory as well. Though I'm not sure why it matters what Morrigan and HB listen to.

Nah, it doesn't really matter. I just thought it was curious.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:54 pm 

HellB shares most of my taste, he's a big fan of doom metal including Candlemass, Rev B, Pagan Altar. Both Morri and HB are more into trad metal but they do like some death metal (Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Behemoth...) and black metal (Greek stuff like Rotting Christ, Varathreon). They're not a big fan of prog, grind, brutal death metal, raw black...

And metalheads who don't like Iron Maiden should get a rendez-vous with me...and my banhammer!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
metalheads who don't like Iron Maiden

wat

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

wat

That, my friend, is what we call an oxymoron :-D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 pm 

Sadly there are some of those misguided souls amongst us. See metalheads who don't like even one Sabbath album, as well.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:04 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

wat

I've seen some on this very same forum. You know, Maiden were wearing sneakers and colourful clothes in the 80s, that isn't very kvlt and trve!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm 

Yeah, I remember someone who called them "dragon-wanking opera" or something to that effect. Anyone else remember that?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm 

There are some very misguided souls on this forum who hold the view that Maiden relies too heavily on pentatonic guitar work to be considered metal. Old school ANUSites, so to speak. We need not speak of them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 pm 

Actually the one Xlxlx is talking about was some random middle aged woman. Go figure.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 pm 

I don't like Iron Maiden or Manilla Road very much. The latter is just really not my thing and probably never will be, the former, well, Seventh Son is pretty cool and there's some stuff I can dig on Powerslave, Piece of Mind, and Somewhere in Time, but for the most part I'm lukewarm-to-cold on them. Sabbath is a different story; the vast majority of the Ozzy era material is just great to me. Haven't really gotten that enthused about anything involving Dio as yet.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 pm 

The middle aged woman in question: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101608&p=2330753#p2330753
Quote:
Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

Quote:
I'll admit that I don't actually know what Iron Maiden's songs are about... because I can't hear properly with my eyes rolled back in my head. It's some sort of wanking.

I was subjected to them a lot as a teenager. Crammed in the back of a friend's car with a bunch of other people, all of whom just fucking loved Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. It was awful.

Then one day, someone put a tape in and I was all "Whoa. This doesn't suck. I like this!"

It was Metallica Ride the Lightning. I have never reacted so positively to a new record in my life. I immediately went out and bought their albums and then got into a bunch of thrash. But I never did grow to like Iron Maiden (or Black Sabbath.)

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 pm 

I hope Tony is merciful toward what I'm about to confess. I'm not an Iron Maiden fan.

Halt the banhammer for a moment! It's not that I dislike them or anything, not at all. I appreciate them, respect them as an important band and I know they have much quality. It's just I think they're no where close to their immediate peers. The awesome riffs of Sabbath and the energetic intensity of Judas Priest don't appear to be apparent in Maiden and.. well, truth be told, I'm not hugely sold on Bruce's voice. It may be that I need to try and listen to more of their discography, re-evaluate my opinion, but the idea of forcing myself into liking a band due to its classic status is.. well, rather dishonest.

I'm hoping to more naturally get into them over the following years though, but at present, they don't interest me too much. Blasphemy, it may be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 pm 

It's cool if you don't like Maiden or whatever, I just hate people who get douchey about it. "How can anyone like that old man dad rock from the 80s?"

Noktorn style, basically.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm 

People look for different experiences and feelings in music. If what you're looking for is intensity, darkness, etc, of course Iron Maiden is going to be a flaccid tool. But bashing it for just being what it is is kind of stupid.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 pm 

I'd say that Maiden's main appeal is its youthful vigour and pure, almost childish energy. I always get a very "bright" vibe when listening to them, if you know what I mean.

So yeah, if you want heavier music, then go for The Chemical Wedding or something.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
I'm not hugely sold on Bruce's voice...

Have you given the first two records (with Di'Anno) a go? They're also a bit scrappier and possibly easier to identify with the early NWOBHM scene, which if I'm not wrong you do seem to appreciate. Then one thing might lead to another...

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:49 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Have you given the first two records (with Di'Anno) a go? They're also a bit scrappier and possibly easier to identify with the early NWOBHM scene, which if I'm not wrong you do seem to appreciate. Then one thing might lead to another...

Ah, you know, I actually don't think I've listened to that real-early material. I'll give it a listen later on today, cheers.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 pm 

My favourite Maiden hater was the guy who tried to convince everyone that Powerslave was an overrated album, particularly in the context of the 1980s... :scratch: If memory serves, he even linked to this review he'd written, giving it 30% or something. Then, of course, everyone collectively ripped him a new one, whereupon he vanished a few days, and then came back totally changed, singing it's praises: he even, I think, wrote a new review saying how wrong he'd formerly been :D

Again, could be remembering wrong, but this might be the guy who wrote a Judas Priest review with loads of strange, repressed, and rather baffling passages about how if you were a true metal fan and Halford came at you with his cock out, you'd have to, y'know, kneel down and take it... All very bizarre... Must check and see if they're still on the site...

Ha, yes. Here's the review. It's even weirder than I remember :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I always thought it was pretty weird how the administrators never talked much about music. I mean, I only know for sure that you like Melechesh and..... Skyclad, I think? And Constanti-...... I mean, HellBlazer is pretty much a mystery.

Not that it matters, really. Always thought that was curious, that's all :-P

HB's taste is hardly a mystery if you come in the chatroom. We talk about music more often in the chatroom or IRL than on the forums. Not sure why, but most music discussions just bore me. I do post in the metal subforum sometimes, usually when there's a new album out by a band I'm interested in, but again it's generally just me going "oh neat, looking forward to this!" or something like that. I don't really have anything deeper to contribute on the subject, so I generally don't bother. I'm perfectly okay with posters coming here and enjoying the community without going into specifics about the music they listen to.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
My favourite Maiden hater was the guy who tried to convince everyone that Powerslave was an overrated album, particularly in the context of the 1980s... :scratch: If memory serves, he even linked to this review he'd written, giving it 30% or something. Then, of course, everyone collectively ripped him a new one, whereupon he vanished a few days, and then came back totally changed, singing it's praises: he even, I think, wrote a new review saying how wrong he'd formerly been :D

Again, could be remembering wrong, but this might be the guy who wrote a Judas Priest review with loads of strange, repressed, and rather baffling passages about how if you were a true metal fan and Halford came at you with his cock out, you'd have to, y'know, kneel down and take it... All very bizarre... Must check and see if they're still on the site...

Ha, yes. Here's the review. It's even weirder than I remember :lol:

Oh yeah that guy. His reviews were so douchey, with that Judas Priest one in particular being one of the worst. I recall caspian mentioning a Candlemass one being terrible, too.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 pm 

Man, that guy was the worst. Such a bad reviewer, and so annoying too.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 pm 

Morri, HB, and I all sang Turbo Lover on one of the half dozen times I was ever in the chat, so as far as I'm concerned they both have infallible taste.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm 

What a freaking disaster. The interesting thing is that it is just a track-by-track review surrounded by layer upon layer of faux-pretension. It isn't even written well, it's in that stupid stream-of-consciousness style I can't stand. "Well here we come to the third track, this one is called X."

Grumble.....
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:35 pm 

Iron Maiden is very hit or miss for me. None of their albums absolutely wowed me but I do like individual songs here and there. Just not my style I guess.

And that Wolf on Wall Street video was very interesting...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:49 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Morri, HB, and I all sang Turbo Lover on one of the half dozen times I was ever in the chat, so as far as I'm concerned they both have infallible taste.

I love me some karaoke my only problem is I have to be reaaaallllly drunk before I have balls enough to actually get on stage and do it. Last time I think I sang something by Styx.

Azmodes wrote:

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:58 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
People look for different experiences and feelings in music. If what you're looking for is intensity, darkness, etc, of course Iron Maiden is going to be a flaccid tool. But bashing it for just being what it is is kind of stupid.

I'm in this camp too. I have a high amount of respect for Iron Maiden, but I've always had a massive bias towards the 'extreme' subgenres (death, black etc) so they've never been a band I've been that interested in listening to. Trad metal is growing on me though so I should probably revisit them at some point.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449 ... 518  Next