Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Yuriihate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm 

Any of you into the Melvins? I've known about them for quite sometime and have only gotten around to listening to them properly this past week. Nirvana was one of the first "rock" bands I got into and heard the Melvins name thrown around from time to time. I've downloaded their whole discography and I'm starting with Houdini as most people have recommended I try that out. So far it's been a...unique listening experience.

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

I really like The Melvins. They're definitely on my list of bands I need to see live before I die. I highly recommend Ozma as far as their albums go.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm 

They have a sprawling discography, and while I don't like everything they have done, they do have some great stuff. Songs like History of Bad Men, Revolve and They All Must Be Slaughtered really do it for me. Their influence on the development of sludge metal is undeniable. I believe my dad roadied for them for a bit during the late 80s.

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:37 pm 

I forgot to ask why this is in the tavern. The Melvins are pretty instrumental for the development of almost all doom metal that came after them.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

What the hell are the Melvins anyway? I can't even begin to wrap my head around what to call them other than 'The Melvins.' One minute, we're listening to retro punk, next we're going drone, next it's sludge, next it's doom, next it's thrash, next it's hardcore punk, next it's art rock, and then some songs, I don't even know what to call them! Like holy hell. 'A stripped down Black Sabbath' my ass, these guys put Sabbath to shame when it comes to experimentation...

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 pm 

I listened to a bunch of Stoner Witch in college. Although I rarely heard it all the way through because it was my friend's album and he was more into playing individual songs. I've been really interested in them ever since but haven't gotten around to getting a hold of any of their work for whatever reason. That album they did with Lustmord sounds extremely interesting, anyone heard it?

Kinda stupid to ask where to start with a band with this sort of discography, but any one wanna throw out the first few albums they heard? I'm thinking of starting with either Houdini, that lustmord album or Bullhead.

Last edited by ~Guest 126069 on Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm 

Great band that never gets old due to how varied and massive their discography is. I think if I had to pick a few favorite releases they'd be Gluey Porch Treatments, Eggnog, and Hostile Ambient Takeover. Especially love how the band is able to stay relevant and extremely productive after all these years of activity.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 am 

Yeah, I don't think of one consistent sound when I think of melvins. Lots of fuzz and good heavy music I suppose. I'm going to see them in july, and I'm sure I'll have a much more concrete view on them after that!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 am 

I've been listening to Stoner Witch for years. I love it. Only other one I've heard is Pigs of the Roman Empire, which was okay. I need to hear more of their classic material.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 am 

Oh boy another band for me to check out at 2 am instead of sleepy, actually have been meaning to check them out, just keep forgetting, oh well since I can't sleep i will give a shot.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:35 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
That album they did with Lustmord sounds extremely interesting, anyone heard it?

Pigs of the Roman Empire is pretty great albeit uneven with the brilliant and massive title track overshadowing the rest of the album. As a whole, the record is sort of what I imagine listening to the band through some sort of patchy and unreliable radio transmission being sent through outer space would sound like. Probably my favorite collaboration the Melvins have been involved in thus far.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 pm 

I really like the 2 albums they made with Jello Biafra, namely Never Breathe What You Can't See and Sieg Howdy.
I should also try again Stoner Witch, as I was not convinced on first (and sole) listen.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm 

Ok, this was a good band to stay up listen to. Actually the kind of music I was looking for.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:42 pm 

for those who have heard it, what are your opinions on A Live History of Gluttony and Lust? For me, it has actually sort of replaced Houdini in that I find the versions on ALHOGAL to be quite a bit superior to the originals.

Reply to topic