Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm 

I've always used MA for managing my music collection, but since I've been getting more non-metal (or non-MA) cds I wanted to register to a site that allows me to do the same as MA but with all music. I have a user on www.RateYourMusic.com but I feel the interface is rather... archaic to say the least, plus adding an album seems to be a pain (I have nearly 300 albums and I would have to make a million clicks to get to each album). Is there any better site or should I die slowly at RYM.com?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 pm 

Have you tried discogs.com? The website has similar features like maintaining your collection, wantlists, ratings etc. Pretty standard stuff. But the UI isn't great either.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm 

ah, forgot about that one even though I use plugins for that site for tagging. Gonna check it out.

I was adding albums to RYM and the site is retarded. Some album pressings are detected as different albums from the "all releases" album. So if I add an Argentinian pressing of an album and the "all releases" album it will be listed twice. That's why I hated that site so much.

edit: trying discogs at the moment. Much more straight-forward, less BS and it actually detects certain pressings as a part of the "main" album. Thanks!

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm 

some people I know use musiksammler.de but I can't say anything about the usability as I don't do that kind of listing stuff.
Also it is in german but maybe it self-explanatory and you may use it without the need of speaking german...?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm 

Discogs is really the best (and only remotely) comprehensive site I've seen, and it's really the only one I use/consider to be worth using.

If something you have isn't on the site, just add it yourself. All I can say is follow the submission guidelines and make your submissions accurate, because the quality of information suffers when users do not do so.

It's not always a reliable source for info simply because people don't put complete/accurate/verifiable info on submissions, but full, clear scans make verifying things a lot easier...

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am 

what's the idea?

I'm not getting what this is for that an RTF/XML/TXT document couldn't do.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 am 

Discogs. Not only does it sort your collection, you can also easily buy music withing a click of a button. Really convenient and fun.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 am 

I actually like RYM collection feature than the Metallum's. I have to wade through a lot less nonsense to get what I want accomplished.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
what's the idea?

I'm not getting what this is for that an RTF/XML/TXT document couldn't do.

Laziness. Plus it gets automatically sorted, has album art, pressings, etc etc etc.

Reply to topic