Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm 

...a good one?

I wasn't going to go to Cannibal Corpse/DevilDriver/The Black Dahlia Murder/Winds of Plague this March because the only band I like is TBDM and i've seen them twice already. But then Winds of Plague got replaced by Hour of Penance so I bought my ticket straight away. Anything similar happen for you?

EDIT: Or vice versa. Has a good band ever been replaced by a shit one?

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 pm 

Doesn't happen much here but it seems when it does, Be'lakor is always the replacement and they're a terrible fucking band.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm 

Edited since I misread the post.

But yeah doesn't happen here much since we don't have those sort of tours often

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:28 pm 

Doesn't really happen here, usually we just get one shitty band per show.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm 

It's usually the opposite. We are lucky if with get a good 2nd support, it's usually some local run-of-the-mill bogan band that is the go to for every occasion, it's saddening. Killer line ups in general seem way more common in the US and UK, which is understandable considering the least amount of distance.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 am 

DomDomMCMG wrote:
Has a shit band ever been replaced at a show by......a good one?

EDIT: Or vice versa. Has a good band ever been replaced by a shit one?

No, never. I can 100% guarantee that in all the millions of shows played over the nearly 40 years of Heavy Metal's lifespan that this has never happened. :crash:

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 am 

Usually, if an out-station band backs out, it's always always always a local band to fill in that spot. So no. Also, to whoever said that Be'lakor is terrible. :guns: They're like the Insomnium from the southern hemisphere...at least on record.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 am 

Not like being replaced at the the last minute. But Kreator had Accept and swallow the sun (awesome) when they toured America recently, and Nile and Morbid Angel (Nile are awesome, I dislike MA, but still Nile!) and they're coming to the UK in April with Evile, -_-

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 am 

The incident at Tuska Open Air was perfect. Animals as Leaders missed a flight in the USA, and were replaced just a few hours before the set time by Barren Earth.

Needless to say, I was urinating mead, sweating honey, and crapping strawberries out of sheer joy.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:29 am 

shouvince wrote:
Usually, if an out-station band backs out, it's always always always a local band to fill in that spot. So no. Also, to whoever said that Be'lakor is terrible. :guns: They're like the Insomnium from the southern hemisphere...at least on record.

Indeed, Insomniun are a terrible fucking band also.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 am 

shouvince wrote:
Also, to whoever said that Be'lakor is terrible. :guns: They're like [...] Insomnium

Precisely. :P

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I walked right into that, didn't I? Anywho, for the non-MDM aficionados, :tongue:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Haha, beat me to it. I'd also add that in Aus there is all sorts of weird "behind the scenes politics" that mostly relate to "who will play for free" that underpin this stuff.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 am 

Wankers. Both Be'lakor and Insomnium are great bands.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 am 

Hmm never really saw it that way so its interesting to learn, always saw it as more of a "big bands come one at a time, so if they cancel the show ends" situation. None of our best bands seem to get that image of being so good that they only function as major supports, instead they all seem to be pretty evenly ranked, except maybe Portal, I've only ever seen them play top two billings.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am 

The one off the top of my head is the Napalm Death U.S. tour in November of last year. Municipal Waste were on the whole tour as a co-headliner but decided to skip Chicago for whatever reason, leaving the thrash-obsessed fans of Chicago incredibly pissed off. But instead of MW having the possibility of playing over Napalm fucking Death, we had Weekend Nachos and Smash Potater open the show instead. That was awesome. I like MW and they are fun live, but everyone in Chicago goes way too crazy for them thinking they're the greatest thrash band to exist.

DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 pm 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
The one off the top of my head is the Napalm Death U.S. tour in November of last year. Municipal Waste were on the whole tour as a co-headliner but decided to skip Chicago for whatever reason, leaving the thrash-obsessed fans of Chicago incredibly pissed off. But instead of MW having the possibility of playing over Napalm fucking Death, we had Weekend Nachos and Smash Potater open the show instead. That was awesome. I like MW and they are fun live, but everyone in Chicago goes way too crazy for them thinking they're the greatest thrash band to exist.

Weekend Nachos and Napalm Death sounds awesome!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:12 am 

shouvince wrote:
Also, to whoever said that Be'lakor is terrible. :guns: They're like the Insomnium from the southern hemisphere...at least on record.

and penguins are the most ferocious animals... in Antarctica.

talk about looking for an angle ;)

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 am 

Erotetic wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Also, to whoever said that Be'lakor is terrible. :guns: They're like the Insomnium from the southern hemisphere...at least on record.

and penguins are the most ferocious animals... in Antarctica.

talk about looking for an angle ;)

Old discussion is old, mate.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am 

Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
Doesn't happen much here but it seems when it does, Be'lakor is always the replacement and they're a terrible fucking band.

huh shit, maybe you're an alright bloke after all.

We had a good instance of a rather terrible local band (foxes, really bad screamo) being replaced with a pretty competent slow death/doom band Drowning Horse at a local post-rock gig. It was always going to be a good show 'cos Tangled Thoughts of Leaving were headlining and they consistently deliver, but it went from good to great.. was pretty cool really.

You get some rather odd replacements in Perth.. Here, if there's loud guitars it seems to be considered one genre by everybody, so there's different genres floating around in each show.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 am 

shouvince wrote:

this thread isn't even a week old.

you're exactly what's wrong with kids today.

DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 am 

I just thought of another one. Demonic Resurrection were supposed to play a show in Leeds, but they had to pull out. I wasn't really a fan of them, but i'd have taken them a billion times over who stepped in to replace them, a local deathcore band called Release the Kraken.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:16 am 

Erotetic wrote:
shouvince wrote:

this thread isn't even a week old.

you're exactly what's wrong with kids today.

Kids it seems. We're of the same age group. Besides, I wasn't spearheading the derailment of this thread. Did you even add anything to this thread which was on topic? What was your first post in this thread? I responded to a comment which was directed at me and then kept shut till you came along mocking this issue which has passed. And by "...has passed" I mean, people resumed posting stuff about what this thread is supposed to be about. Who's the kid now?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:52 am 

Man, you suck a fair bit huh. You're the kid; you're the one who got offended and who couldn't resist having the last word. Another bad australian(?) poster :(

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 am 

^ Nope to all your statements, caspian. Color me in whatever way you please, but it wasn't about having the last word. Earlier, I could've taken the band/genre arguments forward but I nipped it in the bud, didn't I? And regarding my response to Erotectic, I just felt that it was inappropriate to go back to square one again. And I responded accordingly to his uncalled-for provocations.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 am 

I remember that satyricon once canned and got replaced by god dethroned and a few more cases through the years but cant really remember right now.
I wonder whos going to replace the devils blood at roadburn. Hopefully a much better psy rock band or ideally manilla road ofcourse.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:50 pm 

Last year at MDF, a couple of bands I didn't really care about cancelled (I think Morgion was one of them), and one of the replacements was Mortuary Drape, who were fucking amazing. I think that's the best replacement at any show I've ever been to.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm 

One instance stands out for me... Mayhem was playing in Chicago a few years back with (supposedly) Marduk, Cephalic Carnage and... I forget the other. Both Marduk and Cephalic Carnage dropped off the tour for some shitty reason, so we were left with Yakuza and Lone Wolf and Cub. Needless to say, many of us in the audience were displeased. Mayhem was still awesome though, so it was worth sitting through the 6 minute sax solos courtesy of Yakuza.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm 

When Mayhem came to town a few years ago (I think it was 2009, may have been 2010), they were supposed to show up with Marduk, Cephalic Carnage, and Cattle Decapitation. It was a huge deal for me as I am a big fan of three of these bands (havent listened to much Cephalic yet). At some point during the tour there were some major management/financial issues coupled with Marduk having problems with visas. This caused everyone but Mayhem to drop the tour. My local venue made up for it by including more local acts, a couple of which were really lame bro-tastic nu-metal/deathcore bands. There were more blue bandanas on stage that night than there are in Compton.

However, another local act, black metal band Afterlight, where a real treat and a great prelude to Mayhem.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 am 

Jackoroth wrote:

Be'lakor is a.. Terrible band? Alright then. I, for one, would probably assassinate people for tickets to see Be'lakor live again. But you know..

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
When Mayhem came to town a few years ago (I think it was 2009, may have been 2010), they were supposed to show up with Marduk, Cephalic Carnage, and Cattle Decapitation. It was a huge deal for me as I am a big fan of three of these bands (havent listened to much Cephalic yet). At some point during the tour there were some major management/financial issues coupled with Marduk having problems with visas. This caused everyone but Mayhem to drop the tour. My local venue made up for it by including more local acts, a couple of which were really lame bro-tastic nu-metal/deathcore bands. There were more blue bandanas on stage that night than there are in Compton.

However, another local act, black metal band Afterlight, where a real treat and a great prelude to Mayhem.

Holy fuck if a nu metal band replaced Cattle Decapitation i'd lose my shit.

gregor104
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 am 

It never seems to happen with major bands for me, but I have had that happen quite often with local artists. I can think of at least 3 or 4 times the local band that was opening got switched out for a much better local band.

Reply to topic