Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 pm 

^ I've got a buddy I'm trying to explain this idea to as well. Jack Daniels is iconic, and I don't mind it now and again, but we make much better stuff over here. Hudson is an interesting rec, I've seen the, "baby," variant touted a couple of times, but I don't see it at too many liquor stores, and the few I've seen weren't cheap. Which other bourbons would you compare it to?

Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 am 

Unfortunately, I can't really say. I'm not well versed in bourbon because I don't really like it, generally speaking, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. I've only had Hudson once or twice at other people's houses. I like rye and scotch. Hudson is really good, however, so I'd recommend finding a bar with a good menu. One of the gastropubs near me is actually exclusively American inventory, which makes this kind of search really easy. The craft beers there are really good, too, but this isn't that thread.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:27 am 

I'm a big fan of both bourbons and single malt scotch, although admittedly it seems to be the exception to the rule here in the UK as I've personally never met another single malt fan who likes bourbon. A common complaint is that it is too sweet for their palate but personally that's one of the reasons I like it.

When I fancy something on the sweeter side I'll opt for a bourbon generally. There is also something about drinking a bourbon that makes me think of sitting in a smoke filled speakeasy, listening to some blues guitarist spill his heart out whilst I'm sipping away!

There are some fantastic bourbons out there. Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig and Knob Creek to name a few. Even some of the lower priced stuff like Buffalo Trace is pretty good.

Single malt scotch is in my opinion the better of the two but I shall always have room for a few bourbons in my collection.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:23 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Matyu wrote:
So, yeah, I like American and Japanese whiskeys. :)

If you enjoy American whiskey, I highly recommend exploring the wide variety of it that exists outside of Jack Daniels which doesn't automatically mean bourbon, either. JD is Tennesee whiskey. That's one whiskey from one state. I respectfully present a quizzical wtf and practice a bit of deep breathing/avoidant coping when Jack Daniel's represents American whiskeys. It's a big country out (t)here. McCarthy's (OR) and Hudson (NY) are easy places to start.

Thank you for your recommendation. I like JD black label because it's affordable and it's not so bad, single barrel is much better in my opinion. Keep in mind that I have a small budget. However, if I have the opportunity, I will try other American whiskeys.

The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:56 am 

The best bang-for-your-buck bourbon I've found is Evan Williams black label. Should be about $10 a fifth, and not only is it good for the money but it's a) just plain good and b) better than their single barrel Evan Williams that's 3x as expensive.

My favorite shelf bourbon I've found so far is Eagle Rare 10. The best bourbon I've had is Weller 12, but it went from an easy-to-find $30 bottle to a pain-in-the-ass-to-find sometimes-$50, sometimes-$90 bottle. It's become too much of a pain to seek out that one. Larceny is another good one.

If you can find Rock Town Hickory Smoked Whiskey, I very much recommend it. It's a wheat whiskey made from hickory-smoked wheat.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I like rye and scotch.

Have you ever had any rye malt whiskey? That is, whiskey made from malted rye, rather than just raw rye? I ask because I can pretty easily get one but it's $100 a bottle. I know the malting process adds a lot of labor costs but I'm curious if a rye malt whiskey really tastes much different from just a standard rye whiskey.
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11