Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:30 pm 

Well today was pretty crazy. I was riding in the back seat of my friend's car, when somebody in the lane next to us rear ended a truck, which then swerved into our lane hitting us on the driver's side. This caused us to spin out, and me being stupid didn't put on a seat belt, so we were lucky, me especially, that the car did not flip. I was the only one who got injured, but only a few minor scratches on my arm and a bruise on my ass from landing on the belt buckle. But I was wondering about the close calls of others. Talk about them. Did you see your life flash before your eyes or come to some great revelation or some other shit you always hear about in movies?

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 pm 

9 heart operations, including a bypass at the age of 2. After that you kinda don't give a shit about what people think especially after spending 1/4 of my life in hospitals.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:33 pm 

Given my line of work, I've had more than a few, including, but not limited to:

(1) Coming to the top of a set of stairs and quick peaking around the corner only to see a hunting rifle pointed at my head (which was eventually pried from his hands after tackling him)
(2) Going into a house to check on a suicidal person, finding them in the attic and having said person lunge at me with a knife
(3) Being involved with no less than three shootings in five years (shot at, shot back type incidents)
(4) Laying prone for 16 hours during a standoff on this past Christmas Eve with my rifle trained on an upstairs window

It's not really an everyday thing but I have a feeling it's a little more often than most...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 pm 

Nothing too crazy, but here's what comes to mind:
One time it was around 2 am I think, it was raining a bit out and I was going for a walk. Suddenly a sports car comes speeding up and stops right next to me, I start walking fast. About 30 seconds later I look back, and there is this huge muscular mulatto guy with his arms crossed staring at me. I start walking faster. He gets back in the car and starts driving towards me. I bolt and manage to lose him.

Another one was after a party I went to wait on foot in the McDonald drive thru, for some reason getting there a bit before my friends. In front of me is basically the blonde hulk, probably 6 foot 4 and probably on steroids. He said something rude to me and I say something sarcastic back. He looks me in the eyes and says "I'm going to fucking kill you". He starts running after me. Knowing there's no way in hell I can take him, I run. He grabs my hood and rips it clean off (it's non-detachable). Then he literally picks up this wannabe gangster guy I was with, slams him down against the hood of a car and says he'll kill him if he doesn't tell where I am. I go back to meet my friend later, and in my drunken stupidity he convinces me to go back and fight the guy. When I see him he's all apologetic siting "girl problems" (read: he was on coke). He lets me punch him in the arm and says he'll go help me find the hood for my jacket. When we start walking to the bar, there's cops and an ambulance and a guy with blood streaming down his face. The dude says "oh shit the cops, I gotta go". I later found out he's one of the stars of our football team.

Here's a really crazy one, although it didn't happen to me. If my Grandfather's flight wasn't delayed he would have gotten on one of the planes that got hijacked on 9/11. Talk about good luck.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 pm 

OP: just a heads up, but you're going to be in PAIN tomorrow, haha.

I have sort of a similar story. Just after graduating high school, a friend of mine picked me up to go to the movies. He was driving like a complete maniac because he thought we were going to be late. He went through an intersection to turn left on a yellow light and skidded through the intersection going at least double the speed limit and we got t-boned by an SUV. I was on the passenger side so I saw the headlights coming directly toward my face. We spun around quite a few times and the car was completely totaled. My glasses somehow ended up in the back seat of the SUV that hit us. Somehow we both walked away with no serious injuries (I give tons of credit to the engineers over at Volvo for that one).

It was also an extremely close call for my friend, too, since the accident was absolutely his fault. However, he wound up not getting in trouble at all because the driver of the SUV that hit us turned out to be some sort of fugitive.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:47 am 

Quote:
OP: just a heads up, but you're going to be in PAIN tomorrow, haha.

I already am. My left elbow, the one that got cut up, is already starting to constantly hurt. Right now the pain is more of a nuisance, but tomorrow its gonna be worse. I can already tell.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 am 

I got run over by a Ford Explorer on the first of October in 2010. I was still in high school at the time, so I was walking to the bus stop at 7:20 or so in the morning. It was as rainy and murky as a morning possibly could be, and when I went to go cross, the guy ran through two red lights and hit me so hard that not only was I literally knocked out of my shoes (which were absolutely shredded from the hit, by the way), but also my body broke his front right headlight. The way that my body went up the hood meant that the stuffed backpack I had on kept me from hitting my head either on the truck itself or on the road when I landed about 20 feet away from where I got hit. This, while undoubtedly saving me from having some kind of traumatic brain injury or worse, meant that I remember every single detail of the accident and the feeling of going through the air in slow motion for what felt like forever. I even remember the song I had playing in my ears when I got hit (A Voice in the Dark by Blind Guardian), right down to the section of the song that the accident occurred during.

Injury wise, I broke my pelvis and my right shoulder, and I scraped up my elbow a bit raw, but there were no other injuries beside extreme soreness and not being able to walk or move around with some kind of aid until March of the next year. I spent the entire first month I was back in school in a wheelchair due to not being able to walk properly. My pelvis healed perfectly fine, but my shoulder is permanently damaged and has less range of motion than my left arm. The doctors said that in about 30 years I'll need to get the ball and socket joint surgically replaced due to the damage.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 am 

In high school, I got pushed off a snowbank by some martial-artist kid. I flew back about five feet and smoked the back of my head off the corner of some metal gate. Blacked out for a bit (don't know how long). Came to and stood up. Started stumbling around, swearing. Someone told me I was bleeding from the back of my head. Prolly could have broken my neck, or maybe even died, if I didn't hit the gate at just the right angle.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 am 

This was during early high school, me any two of my buds were riding in one of thems dumpy ass car. I live on a creek and its kinda like a long curvy dirt/gravel road to get to my house in the woods. So the young dumb ass thought he could make the car drift. He does it once good around a small corner. Well he attempts a big corner at like 40? 50? it's a blur at this point. but he lost control and we spun towards a tree. I was in the back so it would have hit me a and the passenger in the front and would have hurt badly/killed me and him had the driver not somehow made the car do a complete 180 and spin with driver side toward a tree on the other side of the road, getting stuck up under another car. We were all ok, i had a bruise on my chest that's it. MY dad owns a mechanic/paint&body shop so I called him and he got it unstuck for us. We were lucky it turned out as good as it did.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:17 am 

Two experiences; a rolled car where I almost lost an eye -big scar just above my eye because there was a hook in the car. And an almost drowning experience out at Box (a fairly nasty wave) two years ago. Stuffed the take off up, onto dry reef, went over head first, dislocated shoulder and concussion, going in and out of consciousness while vomiting my guts up while I got smashed :thumbsup: ended up ok, but yeah, would not have been a good place to lose consciousness proper :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:21 am 

In about 2010 I was out drinking jug after jug of beer until they literally asked us to leave because we got through so much.
I wasn't hammered until we got on the tram home and that's basically the last thing I remembered until I woke up in the hospital the next week with next to no memory.

After we got off the tram to go back to mine to hang out and listen to some metal, we were walking down quite a trendy street with next to no crime and in a suburb where everyone keeps to themselves but I was told that we were confronted by four guys (there was three of us) and asked for a smoke and I know I can be arrogant when I'm drunk so I most likely would've taken out a smoke and just smoked it in front of them or something but when we passed them, I got smashed over the back of the head with a bottle of beer which knocked me down to the ground and smashed my head on the concrete.

When I woke up in the hospital, I had the most killer head ache and when to speak but no words would come out so I though 'Fuck! I'm now in a vegetated state!' and thought this for about two days. After those two initial days of basically coming to the fact that I'm now like that, I started to speak but my words were really mumbled and just couldn't get through a simple sentence without it taking about two minutes.

I eventually recovered but it did take a few months and there are now a few words I can't properly say, mainly words that contain a 'z' in the middle of the word but it's not too bad seeing that there's not really common words that contain a z but I'm just lucky that I even survived because the doctors told me that once my head hit the concrete and with such force, 90% of people just don't survive that.

I was constantly invited to the court cases of these four guys and all of them I just didn't bother, hitting my head on that concrete has also made my temper jump a fair bit and I just don't think I could handle seeing these cowards but I later found out that they all received next to no reprimand for what they did (one of them actually did it again to someone else later on) but I mean this is nothing new, Melbourne is one of the lenient places in the world as far as law goes, you can almost get away with murder in this fucking state!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:27 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
I can be arrogant when I'm drunk so I most likely would've taken out a smoke and just smoked it in front of them or something but when we passed them, I got smashed over the back of the head with a bottle of beer which knocked me down to the ground and smashed my head on the concrete.

well come on man! That shit's not on.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:31 am 

I know it isn't but it doesn't deserve to be king hit with a bottle and potentially could have been killed though.
For some reason a lot of people get king hit with bottles here in Melbourne, I just don't see what the point is, if you have a problem with someone, be a man.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 am 

I was in a couple crashes when I was a teen, not wearing a seat belt, and the vehicles ended up totaled. I guess those would have been close calls, if a variable or two were different. I almost went through the windshield in one impact... it was in a friend's van, and there was lots of room between the seat and dash, and when we hit a guardrail* I flipped around and somehow my back ended up hitting the windshield. If I'd gone head first instead who knows how it would have turned out. Thankfully the most serious physical consequence from either of those two early crashes was just a three inch scar on my knee.

*It's sort of hard to explain, but we hit a guardrail that was at a turn off and bending, so it wasn't a glancing hit against it but rather we hit it head on

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:41 am 

Last year I was almost hit dead-on by a huge 18-wheel truck in the middle of the night while driving a friend home. I tried to switch lanes, wasn't paying attention and almost got completely run over. Probably would have been hospitalized if I hadn't swerved right back out of the way. Not as extreme as some of what's listed here, but damn it was a scare...had another friend with me as well, which made it even more nerve-wracking. Definitely persuaded me to be more careful driving.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:32 am 

Almost drowned when I was kid, while playing in the sea. This huge fucking wave hits me and next thing I know I'm swirling inside the water like crazy, it caught me by surprise so I didn't even had time to hold my breath and stuff. Drank loads of salt water and got sand on my eyes, mouth, ears, ass, etc

EloyXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:34 pm 

I was in a coma for several hours. I took (by mistake, I swear) a pill for blood pressure, and I have Type 1 Diabetes. The doctors said I was about to suffer a cardiac arrest due to my hypoglycemic state.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm 

I don't know how to describe it so a picture would do it better:
Spoiler: show

When I was a kid I used to do some of these... stunts? The train goes on from station to station while kids are hanging outside the doors as you see them in the pictures (sometimes they go on top of the train, I even saw a kid with a bicylce there once). One time I was between the two wagons with a lot of other friends and the train was about to stop. They started jumping out one after the other before it was completely stopped and I was the last. I was a bit small and short so I didn't use to jump but rather stretch my arms and push myself out, but I fell right between the wagons. Luckily for me the train just stopped there. The wheels were about 50 centimeters away.

That was the last time I tried something that stupid. Accidents are quite frequent but people still insist on doing that.

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:36 pm 

Walking back from college there was a very long straight gently sloping hill. Since the walk was about 4 miles in total, I thought it would be a good idea to take a skateboard in to ease the journey (I'm not a skilled skater at all so it was literally just a form of transportation). Weather was calm, road surface was smooth, by halfway down this hill I'm tearing along at a ridiculous pace on the very edge of control. Then this enormous lorry comes at me on my side of the road. He doesn't give me an inch, the bastard, so there's about a 1.5 foot strip of road I need to stay on. Didn't account for being sucked in towards the lorry by his draught, so in that split second I decided to jump away into the verge, rolling about 8 times and getting cut to shit by branches in the hedge. The skateboard slipped under the truck (where I would have been) and continued on about half a mile down the road annoying other road users on it's way!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
it's not too bad seeing that there's not really common words that contain a z

So you can't say Pizza? =( Glad you are doing okay though.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 am 

Had pneumonia as a newborn, in those days was about 1 in 3 fatality rate. To make things worse, the hospital bungled my treatment. Gave me a double-dose of the meds when a newborn should have gotten half-dose. And an overdose of this particular medication was considered as probably fatal at 20% above, here i was at like 4X over. This drug, i forget the name, has since fallen out of use except as an antidote for anthrax. So it was some messed up stuff! The doctors are not entirely sure why i am not dead. Have barely had any illness of any kind since though...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:28 pm 

I did way to much acid. One time my heart was on the verge of exploding. Drugs r bad mmkay

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:55 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Given my line of work, I've had more than a few, including, but not limited to:

(1) Coming to the top of a set of stairs and quick peaking around the corner only to see a hunting rifle pointed at my head (which was eventually pried from his hands after tackling him)
(2) Going into a house to check on a suicidal person, finding them in the attic and having said person lunge at me with a knife
(3) Being involved with no less than three shootings in five years (shot at, shot back type incidents)
(4) Laying prone for 16 hours during a standoff on this past Christmas Eve with my rifle trained on an upstairs window

It's not really an everyday thing but I have a feeling it's a little more often than most...

Jesus, are you a cop?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm 

Jesuscop
Spoiler: show

Yeah, Storm is MA's cop, I think he said it before in the FFA. As for myself, I'm a pussy who do almost nothing so outside of some car accidents where I wasn't hurt, there's not much to tell I'm afraid except this time I almost killed myself when I slipped in the shower. Damn you soap!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm 

None for me. Invincible. :thumbsup:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Jesus, are you a cop?

Actually, I am! Not a Jesus Cop though, sadly.

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 pm 

Every time I drive past this intersection I recollect the time a speeding pickup truck sped by and almost hit me. I remember I was riding my bike fast down the sidewalk and then it happened and I was just feet away from the edge of the sidewalk, now I feel like I'm lucky to be alive.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm 

one time... I ate one of those double-down sandwiches from KFC. I think that's the closest to dying I've ever been. You can literally feel your arteries tightening.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
one time... I ate one of those double-down sandwiches from KFC. I think that's the closest to dying I've ever been. You can literally feel your arteries tightening.

Over December/January I had like four of the things - I know your pain.

~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 pm 

Nothing really dangerous happened to me, but when I was a teenager I'd sometimes drank more than I should and walking home without paying attention I almost got hit by cars a couple of times.

People say all the time not to drink and drive but pay attention when you're walking too.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am 

Couple years ago I slipped on a plastic bag and fell backwards hitting the back of my head on our amazingly stylish, massively dense stone kitchen floor. I blacked out for a split second and immediately crawled back on my feet. I sat my ass down on the couch and laid there for about one/two minutes until I realized that the back of my head was bleeding. Long story short, I called my dad, he drove me to the hospital, and the doc glued my head shut. Sure, it doesn't sound that bad, but I'm surprised I didn't atleast suffer a minor concussion.

Or busted my head wide open/broke my nek on the kitchen countertop..

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:32 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Couple years ago I slipped on a plastic bag and fell backwards hitting the back of my head on our amazingly stylish, massively dense stone kitchen floor. I blacked out for a split second and immediately crawled back on my feet. I sat my ass down on the couch and laid there for about one/two minutes until I realized that the back of my head was bleeding. Long story short, I called my dad, he drove me to the hospital, and the doc glued my head shut. Sure, it doesn't sound that bad, but I'm surprised I didn't atleast suffer a minor concussion.

Or busted my head wide open/broke my nek on the kitchen countertop..

Same thing pretty much happened to my Grandma a couple years back. She was taking medicine at the time that her balance way off and she slipped and her the back of her head on a counter. She went into a coma for like a week and her brain started swelling. they had to take part of her skull out and keep in her stomach to give the brain room to swell. She eventually came out of the coma and the swelling stopped and she's perfectly fine today. But you're lucky mate.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Actually, I am!

Oh snap it's the cops! :oh shit:
:P

I've had a couple experiences where either a knife or a gun were held to my face. When I was younger I was involved with some pretty sketchy shit I won't go into detail about over the internet for obvious reasons... There was one instance though on my way home from a show at like three in the morning and this dude gets super close to me and reaches into his pocket for what I guessed was a weapon. I quickly made use of a smiley I always carried on my bike and got the fuck out of there as fast as I could. I don't know what happened to the guy and I don't want to know. In the neighborhood I used to live in Seattle you don't take chances and in a situation like that you have to think fast because that guy could have had a gun.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:22 pm 

Drive by shooting in Chicago. Heard the bullets whizz by my head.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:22 pm 

'bout the closest call I've had involves the condom slipping, no joke. I guess I like, saw a ladder fall over once... But I wasn't on it.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:13 am 

I have close calls all the time, living in this cesspool called New Jersey...just yesterday some fat bitch in a gay ass SUV almost plowed into me from the side while merging on a highway cause she wasn't looking...I mean how the FUCK do you NOT see a 6'3" 270 lb. man on a Harley?????

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 pm 

The bleeding head thing reminded me of when I was in 6th grade and stood on my friend's parents station wagon so I could dunk on his 10 foot basket. I ripped the entire rim and backboard off and fell flat on my back, smacked my head on the ground and then the hoop landed on my face. I had a huge gash and lots of little cuts starting just above my right eye going up my whole forehead. It was gushing and literally squirting blood everywhere and I still remember I was wearing a metallica shirt that was completely soaked in blood within a minute, also had hot blood pouring into my eye. Luckily my friend's mom was a nurse and got me patched up without even a hospital visit, my friend was laughing at me saying he could see my brain. It really didn't hurt or anything, but if it had landed another half inch or so down or to the left it woulda at least taken my eye out or worse. Couldn't wear a hat for a month and still have a scar.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 pm 

most of my close calls are due to stupidity, I probably shouldn't be alive but somehow get lucky

Recently, I was driving a truck hungover during a rainstorm and while coming up on a railroad crossing the lights suddenly started blinking so I hit the brakes, however, I slid all the way into the middle of the tracks , as I started to back up the arms on the stop lights, whatever they are called came down right between two steel poles on my front bumper trapping me there so I had to get out and push the damn thing up and it slapped me in the face real good causing more delay, it was pretty terrifying sliding with no control seeing a fucking train coming your way

Darwin Award contender: when I was 10 I found a loaded rifle under my parents bed and was playing around with it like an idiot, I put the barrel to my head and tried to squeeze the trigger but couldn't, I then put the butt of the rifle on my stomach, squeezed the trigger again and fired a round into the wall with a graze burn on my mother's bedside lamp.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 pm 

Varth wrote:
most of my close calls are due to stupidity, I probably shouldn't be alive but somehow get lucky

Recently, I was driving a truck hungover during a rainstorm and while coming up on a railroad crossing the lights suddenly started blinking so I hit the brakes, however, I slid all the way into the middle of the tracks , as I started to back up the arms on the stop lights, whatever they are called came down right between two steel poles on my front bumper trapping me there so I had to get out and push the damn thing up and it slapped me in the face real good causing more delay, it was pretty terrifying sliding with no control seeing a fucking train coming your way

Darwin Award contender: when I was 10 I found a loaded rifle under my parents bed and was playing around with it like an idiot, I put the barrel to my head and tried to squeeze the trigger but couldn't, I then put the butt of the rifle on my stomach, squeezed the trigger again and fired a round into the wall with a graze burn on my mother's bedside lamp.

Haha, sorry, but that train story is amazing (and funny). Sounds like something out of a movie. Trying to shoot yourself in the head isn't very smart though :\

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:53 pm 

I should put I didn't think the gun was loaded cause it wasn't earlier that day

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next