* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metallos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 am 

hello!

metal archives is pretty well complete source for metal

are you aware of other such websites for other kind of music (even electronic, classical, etc)?

please name them and the type of music they cover

thanks!

Last edited by metallos on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 am 

I know there is a decent website similar to this one for progressive music: http://www.progarchives.com. It is not nearly as comprehensive as this website, though, and the reviews are not nearly as well written. The forum moderation is shoddy, too.

Metallum is one of the most well-maintained websites I have ever visited. It is comprehensive, the reviews are mostly quality, and the forum is always wonderful. There are a lot of really smart and really funny people on this message board, which is why I keep posting here even though my love of metal has severely waned since I joined. I always learn something.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 am 

The only such website I use other than MA is http://www.discogs.com
It's a pretty valuable resource for a lot of different things. They have some strange guidelines regarding things like capitalization of album titles... but other than that, it's a pretty vast resource.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am 

Do "Wikis" count?
It's not even close to being as comprehensive as a site like MA, or even Spirit of Metal, but there is the Noisewiki, which has a bunch of different Noise artists, though few with any/good/"scholarly" information.

http://www.ishitnoise.com/wiki/

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 pm 

Roots Archives, covers Jamaican roots reggae from 1970 to 1985: http://www.roots-archives.com/, but it does also have a news section dealing with news from artists active during that period, and also a forum.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 pm 

I was hoping there would be some for punk and hip-hop. For someone interested in trying stuff out from those genres without not being terribly familiar with the culture and the greatest albums of the genre from the perspective of those who are really into it, this would be awesome. Unfortunately, any of them I find look like 90s websites and aren't really large archives.

-Tracie Harris

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm 

I was really hoping (and have wanted for ages) a comprehensive Punk music archive...
I wish I had the know-how/web space.

Well, I am here to contribute if anyone here wants to come together to work on building a "Punk Archives" site as complex as this one.

....just so long as it can be equally exclusive in terms of not allowing bands like Sum 41 and Bowling For Soup, and trendy-ass hipster Neo-Garage BS. ;)

Seriously, get at me, dawg(s).

Is there any way the source code for MA could be copied and built on as a template (with permission, of course), by any chance?

Might be cool to have a "ring" of unique-and-independent-but-associated music archives.

Barbecuetioner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:09 pm 

is there a good archive type site for 80's glam?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am 

I found an interesting one for industrial/ambient-ish music once, but I'll have to retrieve the URL from home and post it later. It wasn't much like MA of course; more a listing of the BNR metal pages type...

I like progarchives a lot, but yeah, I really, really wish it was more like mA. The band bios are usually more helpful than the reviews, and the pages are so cluttered with junk....
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm 

Somebody really needs to make a 'Punk Archives', 'Jazz Archives', 'Classical Archives' or even a 'Classic Rock Archives' that are on par with Metal Archives. That would really cool.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:36 pm 

metallos wrote:
hello!
are you aware of other such websites for other kind of music (even electronic, classical, etc)?
thanks!

I don't really know any website about other kind of music but, even if it's quite off topic, I would like to recommend A.N.U.S. (American Nihilist Underground Society):
http://www.anus.com/
http://www.anus.com/metal/
I think it's a quite nice website.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:08 pm 

It's a nice joke site.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 am 

CannibalKid wrote:
'Punk Archives'

http://www.killfromtheheart.com/

Not sure if this is still getting updated, though.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 pm 

rateyourmusic.com is pretty good for everything, it has reviews, discography listings, and "top ____" list for everything.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:34 am 

Iggnsthe wrote:
The only such website I use other than MA is http://www.discogs.com
It's a pretty valuable resource for a lot of different things. They have some strange guidelines regarding things like capitalization of album titles... but other than that, it's a pretty vast resource.

Thanks, just checked it out, so far I like it. They seem to have a nice collection of albums and the little collection/want list is nice too.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 am 

Azmodes wrote:
CannibalKid wrote:
'Punk Archives'

To my knowledge, it's not. Great resource for old hardcore and punk though.

Also, I've been kicking around the idea for making a 'punk archives' for some years. It would have different acceptance standards and structure from MA because obviously punk is a very different genre but the idea is to make something with similar user contribution and accurate data. Of course, my personal life has been a disaster lately so I haven't done much work on this in a while but hopefully once I'm back in decent shape, I'll be able to get more done and finally out there.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:54 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
It's a nice joke site.

Were you talking to me? Explain me why is a joke site, please.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm 

They say some hilariously idiotic things sometimes but I like their reviews and they have the right idea concerning music. However, they are nothing like MA as they don't aggregate facts. They aggregate nothing at all since they they moved their blog to another domain.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:31 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
metallos wrote:
hello!
thanks!

I don't really know any website about other kind of music but, even if it's quite off topic, I would like to recommend A.N.U.S. (American Nihilist Underground Society):
(links removed)
I think it's a quite nice website.

Please don't link to their site. We don't want to give those idiots any traffic.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm 

Yeah we really need to stop them from getting all that precious traffic. :roll:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

To my knowledge, it's not. Great resource for old hardcore and punk though.

Also, I've been kicking around the idea for making a 'punk archives' for some years. It would have different acceptance standards and structure from MA because obviously punk is a very different genre but the idea is to make something with similar user contribution and accurate data. Of course, my personal life has been a disaster lately so I haven't done much work on this in a while but hopefully once I'm back in decent shape, I'll be able to get more done and finally out there.

I feel dealing with online forum/message board punks would drive you to an early grave. Mostly because I konw a lot of punks and to them anything they like is punk even though it's not.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:27 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
They say some hilariously idiotic things sometimes but I like their reviews and they have the right idea concerning music. However, they are nothing like MA as they don't aggregate facts. They aggregate nothing at all since they they moved their blog to another domain.

In wrote:
Please don't link to their site. We don't want to give those idiots any traffic.

inhumanist wrote:
Yeah we really need to stop them from getting all that precious traffic. :roll:

WTF?!?
What's the problem?
I don't understand.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
I feel dealing with online forum/message board punks would drive you to an early grave. Mostly because I konw a lot of punks and to them anything they like is punk even though it's not.

Yeah, because dealing with metalheads all day is loads of fun. And metalheads never give undeserved credit to "their subculture". ;)

Anyway, still jazzed about the idea of a punk archive. I just hope discographies will be more comprehensive.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:43 am 

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/
For jazz, before grind and noisecore became my unholy passion I was on my way to becoming a jazz snob, can't say how good the site is though but it does look pretty expansive.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:

Yeah, because dealing with metalheads all day is loads of fun. And metalheads never give undeserved credit to "their subculture". ;)
Heh, too true. Wrangling this forum has been exhausting enough and there's a reason I've been relatively quiet for some time. :P

Xpert74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:39 am 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:

That sounds awesome; I'd be interested in a resource like that as well :) I've wanted to explore more punk music in general in the past, but the Metal Archives have spoiled me with regard to ease of discovery :p

BasqueStorm wrote:
WTF?!?
What's the problem?
I don't understand.

ANUS is a very pretentious place that often makes absurd statements. One I recall off the top of my head is how they claim Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS rather than cancer; I suppose in a long-winded attempt to insinuate that he was gay, as an attempt to insult him or something. Half the time they come across as full of themselves, and the other half they come across as trolls.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/
For jazz, before grind and noisecore became my unholy passion I was on my way to becoming a jazz snob, can't say how good the site is though but it does look pretty expansive.

Nice one, thanks!

Xpert74 wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
WTF?!?
What's the problem?
I don't understand.

ANUS is a very pretentious place that often makes absurd statements. One I recall off the top of my head is how they claim Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS rather than cancer; I suppose in a long-winded attempt to insinuate that he was gay, as an attempt to insult him or something. Half the time they come across as full of themselves, and the other half they come across as trolls.

I heard about this didn't know it was started by ANUS.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am 

By no means is the following archive vast but it covers quite a few Uk82 bands quite well. Uk82 is the name for a style of Hardcore/punk that was played in the early 80's situated in the UK. The music often had leaning towards the then burgeoning nwobhm scene and often incorporated guitar solos, and riffs more typical of early metal/hard rock. The music is pretty much my new obsession, and the site is a very valuable resource for searching out new bands in the style.

http://www.uk82.com

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 am 

i spend a lot of time at http://www.discogs.com/

http://rolldabeats.com/ is pretty handy for drum n bass and electronic stuff
"RollDaBeats - online dance music discography resource"

http://www.musik-sammler.de/ is a good one too

Reply to topic