* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:
The rise of the PMRC coincided with the rise of the Moral Majority and the Religious Right in America. Those groups came to prominence during the Reagan administration. During the latter half of the '60s and into the '70s, the US was moving in a more morally relaxed direction. Conservative Christians weren't really a powerful voting block. Many stayed away from politics. It was with Reagan that the Right reached out and politicized these people. Look at the epic rise and power of TV evangelists during that time.

But wasn't Tipper Gore a Democrat?

Well don't forget that since Reagan happened, the American political center has shifted very much to the right. Even back then though it was still possible for a Democrat to be an uptight "I should have the power to regulate what people can and can't listen to" kind of person.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Well don't forget that since Reagan happened, the American political center has shifted very much to the right. Even back then though it was still possible for a Democrat to be an uptight "I should have the power to regulate what people can and can't listen to" kind of person.

I'd argue that they still are. Replace the words "listen to" with "eat or drink".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2