Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 pm 

Living right between a fairly vast woodland area and the Atlantic coast, I tend to get a lot of wildlife in, near, or in the area around my house. Raccoons are extremely common, and I've had to pull a few off the road that have fried themselves on the powerlines. Deer, foxes, and coyotes have also been fairly common occurrences (the former of the three I've seen as recently as two weeks ago, before we left for vacation) as well as black bears, although I've only seen them on two occasions loafing around in the woods behind the house. Nothing much out of the ordinary. Also, despite only seeing them on a handful of occasions and that they're entirely harmless, I FUCKING HATE THESE THINGS!
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 pm 

I remember finding a mantis about two years prior. Thing ended up flying into a spider web and got demolished.

I also remember watching a wasp stuck in a web war with a spider, and the spider won. 'twas a fun show.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
(...) despite only seeing them on a handful of occasions and that they're entirely harmless, I FUCKING HATE THESE THINGS!

Why? Horseshoe crabs are rather adorable, me thinks. They're like what I imagine pets in an alien world look like.
Kveldulfr wrote:
I just live in the countryside which is savage, brutal and mutant altogether. You have to see our spiders.

No, I don't have nor want to see your fucking spiders, man. I usually don't have a fear of insects or arachnids, but the idea of spiders as big as dishes is too much for me.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:49 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
It's fairly common to see these fuckers around:

Spoiler: show

They're locally called ' Mother of the snakes', they go up to 30 cm long.

What in the name of hell are those things? 30 cm?! Is there some shady nuclear plant near your location or what, Kveldulfr?!

I just live in the countryside which is savage, brutal and mutant altogether. You have to see our spiders.

dreadmeat wrote:
finally some photos...

they must mean 30mm, please tell me it's 30mm :o

Those beasts usually are 9-12 CM, but there are some that are way larger than that. Once I was camping and one of those things was just besides me when I was sleeping. It scarred the fuck out of me since it was the largest female of those I've seen in my life :24 CM of pure insanity.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
IX Leviathan wrote:
(...) despite only seeing them on a handful of occasions and that they're entirely harmless, I FUCKING HATE THESE THINGS!

Why? Horseshoe crabs are rather adorable, me thinks. They're like what I imagine pets in an alien world look like.

I just find they look absolutely disgusting. Put it this way. Imagine you're in a tank, and 20 or so horseshoe crabs are crawling all over you. JUST CRAWLING WITH THERE SPINY LEGS, CRUSTY SHELL, AND GROSS MOUTH. *shudders*. I basically look at them as the marine equivalent of a cockroach and I know, my fear of them is incredibly irrational. It's odd too, because I have no problem with other crustaceans, including lobsters.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:09 pm 

Want a marine equivalent of a cockroach? Here, give this thing a look. After catching a glimpse of a giant isopod, trust me, horseshoe crabs will become something akin to sea puppies.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:13 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Want a marine equivalent of a cockroach? Here, give this thing a look. After catching a glimpse of a giant isopod, trust me, horseshoe crabs will become something akin to sea puppies.

Looks like a Lovecraftian alien facehugger.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:29 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Kveldulfr wrote:
Looks like a Lovecraftian alien facehugger.

Exactly what I was thinking.

It appears that they'll bite too (Wikipedia says they're carnivorous and feed on small bottom dwelling creatures, so I'm sure a finger or two isn't exempt). Creepy looking things and those spiny little fucking legs. Definitely something I'd keep at a 'poking distance'. Dunno though, I think I'd still take it over the horseshoe crab, it lacks the nomming vagina mouth.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Yeah, it's a praying mantis. I usually find one in a whole year at most.

same, here.
wish I saw them more often.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Erotetic wrote:
same, here.
you don't get them where you are? [nz]

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
MorbidEngel wrote:
Erotetic wrote:
same, here.
you don't get them where you are? [nz]

yea, but only spot one about once a year, or less.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:57 pm 

next time we get loads of them here i'll snap off some photogs to share

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:13 am 

I was sitting on the couch one lazy Sunday afternoon and heard a rattle noise at my front door. I assumed it was my cat and opened the door while still watching tv. I didn't feel the cat rub against my legs so I looked down and saw a big ass blue tongue lizard haha almost shit myself
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am 

When I lived in Brunei there were orangutans that would come into our house and steal fruit, as cool as that might sound having orangutans in your house, it really wasn't as I lived right in the middle of the rain forest in a new housing development and these beasts were rabid and wild as anything.
When they stole shit from your house, you stood back and let them completely trash your house.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:38 am 

holy shit, really? that's freaky, an orang-utan could easily kill a full grown adult male human [so i've heard, seen on tv etc]
they look quite docile but i suppose a full blown wild ape is a bit different to some poor thing locked in a zoo aye.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:44 am 

Chimps, orangutans, and similar creatures are bloody dangerous, man. They're very prone to violence, and an adult of any of those species is around three times stronger than the average adult human male, so yeah, you have to stay away from the nasty little fuckers if you value your physical integrity.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:13 am 

Gorillas still have the smallest wee-wees.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:38 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
When I lived in Brunei there were orangutans that would come into our house and steal fruit, as cool as that might sound having orangutans in your house, it really wasn't as I lived right in the middle of the rain forest in a new housing development and these beasts were rabid and wild as anything.
When they stole shit from your house, you stood back and let them completely trash your house.

That's like my wife's dream to live there and see the wild apes up close and personal.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 pm 

It seems to me that almost all animals on the higher end of intelligence (humans included) are prone to violence and general dickery. Gorillas are pretty much the only ones that aren't total cocks to everyone and everything (possibly related to their aforementioned small wee-wees).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:53 pm 

loads of monarch butterflies and swallows around here at the moment, it'll be full-on skink weather soon, yay! :grin:

i think a primate encounter would be truly terrifying, more so than a crocodile or wildebeest type meeting
there's a pretty freaky video online of a tour group in some jungle coming across these gorillas [probably scheduled] but still, there's nothing to stop them wasting the puny humans.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:34 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
i think a primate encounter would be truly terrifying, more so than a crocodile or wildebeest type meeting
there's a pretty freaky video online of a tour group in some jungle coming across these gorillas [probably scheduled] but still, there's nothing to stop them wasting the puny humans.

As long as you're not trying to get them out of the house with a broom, you're alright.
In that climate too, closing a door or shutting a window really isn't an option for most of the year so when they do come in to get food, you just have to wait in the next room until they are done and hope they don't destroy too much of your kitchen.

They were also prone to stealing washing off clothes lines too, we ended up having to hang everything on a railing on the balcony two stories up.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:47 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
It seems to me that almost all animals on the higher end of intelligence (humans included) are prone to violence and general dickery. Gorillas are pretty much the only ones that aren't total cocks to everyone and everything (possibly related to their aforementioned small wee-wees).

Gorillas are great. I just really needed to point out their tiny appendages because I'm really immature.

raszh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 am 

Wildlife here in germany is harmless. No venomous creatures & insects are small.
I only encountered housecats in my garden. Oh and one afternoon a bat flew over to my window while I was sitting on my terrace, it was just sitting there and flew away one hour later.

Nothing special but I don't ever want to encounter most of the animals mentioned here, haha!

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am 

Am I late for this? Every once in a while we get these:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DFgOOOi-JnE/U ... +cueva.JPG

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:42 am 

that's truly heinous :(

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:37 am 

Nochielo wrote:

Note to self: do not click on images in this thread at 4:30 AM before going to bed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 am 

Nochielo wrote:

Seriously, what in the hell is that? It's like a spider and Pinsir the Pokémon had a kid.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 am 

We don't really get anything too bad here in IL. Except for house centipedes. I'd post a picture for all to see, but I have a crippling phobia of them, and even seeing a picture is going to make me panic. No joke, it's really bad, actually. Goddamn hell-crawlers.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

Seriously, what in the hell is that? It's like a spider and Pinsir the Pokémon had a kid.

We call them "guabas" (acute on the second "a"; pronounced woo-ah-BAHS) but I recently found out that they are called "scorpion spiders" or "whip spiders". One time, I saw one of them fighting a couple of lizards. The spider managed to survive and chase away both lizards.
They are totally badass, but I definitely don't like to get close to them.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm 

Nochielo wrote:

That is fucking terrifying. Had to look it up. Wiki says they're harmless to humans, which is a definite plus. Still, I would lose my shit if I encountered one of those bastards!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 pm 

@ Gelseth, you haven't had a run in with city rats before have you?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
We don't really get anything too bad here in IL. Except for house centipedes. I'd post a picture for all to see, but I have a crippling phobia of them, and even seeing a picture is going to make me panic. No joke, it's really bad, actually. Goddamn hell-crawlers.

Opened the basement door to go do some laundry not so long ago and I see this shadow a couple feet in booting it across the floor. At first I thought there was a mouse, as it was roughly that size, but no, upon further inspection it was the biggest fucking house centipede I have seen dart into a row of boxes. I am never touching those boxes again. Spiders will never be my enemy, but house centipedes? They are the only bastards that ever bit me and left me in severe pain. Look under your covers before lying down is my advice.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 am 

jesus, i thought they were cockroaches, we get them here too.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am 

Here too, they're EVERYWHERE fuck!! But damn, Apex, this was a big one, the ones I've seen in my basement are way smaller.

In the country side at my dad's, there's a lot of raccoons. One evening, I was going to bed, I heard a noise coming from outside, I opened the lights, a big raccoon was on the garbage can holding a box of something. He looked at me, I looked at him. He was like "hey man, sorry to disturb ya', I'll be on my way" and then I closed the lights!

Anyway, I'm happy I don't live in a country where you can meet fucking awful bugs. Australia, be damned!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 pm 

There's never been anything too interesting where I live but deer, foxes, chipmunks, skunks, racoons, badgers, and possums are common. I'm not very familiar with different types of birds, but the more noticeable are cardinals and blue birds along with falcons. We also occasionally get woodpeckers which are really annoying.

So yeah, nothing interesting.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

what do you call a woodpecker without a beak?

a headbanger :headbang:

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Here too, they're EVERYWHERE fuck!! But damn, Apex, this was a big one, the ones I've seen in my basement are way smaller.

My basement is a certified battle ground I am sure. I have seen wolf spiders, and huge armored looking beetles down there that would be a match for that Centipede any day. I am dead serious here. You can bet as soon as those lights go out there are huge epic battles that would be worthy of s Bolt Thrower song. An unfinished basement is natures coliseum.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
My basement is a certified battle ground I am sure. I have seen wolf spiders, and huge armored looking beetles down there that would be a match for that Centipede any day. I am dead serious here. You can bet as soon as those lights go out there are huge epic battles that would be worthy of s Bolt Thrower song. An unfinished basement is natures coliseum.

"Arachnid dissidents, poisonous rebels
Defying the athropod empire
And six legged, horned tanks
On the way to extermination"

:-D :-D :-D

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm 

found this thing on my doorstep a couple of days ago, it was pretty massive [about the size of my thumb] i thought it was a cockroach but it may not be
it was still alive and covered in ants and somehow tangled in a spider web and some other debris was stuck that too, it was a bit of a mess
you can just make out the thistle seed [thistledown] on the left

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

Opened the basement door to go do some laundry not so long ago and I see this shadow a couple feet in booting it across the floor. At first I thought there was a mouse, as it was roughly that size, but no, upon further inspection it was the biggest fucking house centipede I have seen dart into a row of boxes. I am never touching those boxes again. Spiders will never be my enemy, but house centipedes? They are the only bastards that ever bit me and left me in severe pain. Look under your covers before lying down is my advice.

Those things are hideous. I recall being impressed that the ancient (100+ years old) apartment I lived in for the second half of college seemed to have no insects whatsoever, until I saw a gigantic house centipede in the lobby of the first floor. I attempted to crush it but crawled off, and I had to pray like crazy those things wouldn't make it to my efficiency on the second floor...Thankfully they didn't, which is surprising given the amount of food crumbs/piles of dirty clothes I tended to leave around the place.

Plus, they're so bizarrely light when they move with all those legs...It's like they're hovering.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next