Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm 

So I've been a fan of this band named "Vestiges" for some time now. They are incredibly good at blending elements of post-hardcore, black metal, and other types of extreme music in their tracks, and so, after downloading all their tracks at ALAC format, I've noticed that I also really like (good) post-hardcore. Of course, I'm not speaking of incessant filth like Black Veil Brides or Lost Prophets that use silly emo imagery and lyrical cliches/recycled riffs to appeal to the teen crowd, but good post-hardcore that exists outside the norm and cheese of the more popular bands.

I've found that I really enjoy Alexisonfire's S/T album. Their wordplay in song titles and lyrics is also pretty cool, I find. It's also got some great guitar harmonies on it!! For example, this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqpeQdsiB0&feature=fvst

That's the first track I had heard, and the sheer apathy in terms of production and the songwriting (even though it was recorded to seem that way).

As per Vestiges, here's their newest original track, titled "VI".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLsJu_SuUc

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 pm 

One recent band that I started to really get into is a band called BATS. It's an Irish band that tends to be very technical instrumentally, and they are well known for their scientific themed lyrics; like they have entire songs devoted entirely to certain particles like the Higgs Boson Particle, or songs devoted to well-known physicists or scientists like Andrew Wiles and Thomas Midgley Jr.

Here's one song called, "Gamma Ray Bursts" that kicks major ass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d30kuVuUBFE

Other than that one band I also tend to like At the Drive-In, but everyone knows that band. Actually, to be perfectly honest I'm not exactly sure on what makes bands post-hardcore. The only way I can describe post-hardcore bands is that they are basically hardcore punk bands that actually care about learning and perfecting their instrumental abilities, but other than that I don't know. People just tell me those two bands are post-hardcore and I have just accepted it.

Anyone care to clarify?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
Anyone care to clarify?

Wikipedia could clarify it about as well as anyone here.

And, no, I am sorry, but Alexisonfire is not "good" Post-Hardcore (those whiny through-the-nose vocals that are so pervasive in today's music are still as terrible as they always were).

Post-Hardcore (which is essentially just a catch-all for shitty music media terminology like "Emo", "Screamo" and "Metalcore") started in the late 80's and found widespread popularity in the mid-late 90's and even greater commercial success in the late 90's-early-to-mid 00's.

Also, it has 0 to do with "Post-Rock", just in case anyone gets any dumb ideas about that. Post-Hardcore (and other different genres) adopting elements of "Post-Rock" (not all, but a lot of which should just be called Shoegaze, even though it isn't for some reason) is a pretty recent thing that wasn't really happening until "Post-Rock" exploded in popularity in the mid-00's and became every wimpy teenager's new Radiohead. The "Post" in their names have totally different connotations, though.

Post-Hardcore meant thematic, ideological and aesthetic expansion as much as it did musical expansion. Fugazi and Rites of Spring and shit like that being a textbook example of Hardcore bands creating early "Post-Hardcore" music, or Hardcore that was outside of the narrow scope of most Hardcore Punk of that era, and Cap'n Jazz being a textbook example of a more contemporary 90's band that gained widespread popularity and influenced a lot of shitty music that became incredibly commercial and neutered and shitty by the beginning of the new millennium. PHC ceased being a "youth movement" and just became pretty, angry music for fashionable upper-middle class white suburban youth to "rock" in their Escalades.

AND, THUS, THE SCENESTER WAS BORN, AND PHC BECAME TOTALLY GAY.

Also, PHC is a musically varied genre. I'm not saying it's not PHC if it doesn't sound like RoS or something, just that modern stuff frequently associated with the term is pretty fucking far-removed from the melodic stuff of the 80's/90's, and even the rawer, dirtier Metalcore and harsher PHC stuff of the 90's.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 am 

Interesting n_n

A band that is often tagged as "Post-Hardcore" that I really enjoy is Thrice, they seem to change their style in every album, but always keeping their signature sound, "Identity Crisis" is pretty much a hardcore punk album with some "post" influences here and there, everything after "Vheissu" is more alternative and kind of "prog". I really don't know how to describe them, pretty interesting band.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 pm 

I'm not even sure if this is post-hardcore or some form of indie, but whatever it is I really like it and would like to find more bands like them. The only label I can think of that has similar artists is Topshelf Records, and that's because of a sampler I got at Warped Tour. Can anyone recommend me bands like this? This type of music is really starting to interest me. I'll even take stuff like American Football too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YarnTaEhU

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 pm 

Big Wet Asses and Big Wet Tits series is some pretty awesome hardcore, brightly lit HD closes up of tits and asses having gallons of lube poured on them

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:48 pm 

Varth wrote:
Big Wet Asses and Big Wet Tits series is some pretty awesome hardcore, brightly lit HD closes up of tits and asses having gallons of lube poured on them

HAHA!

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 am 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
I'm not even sure if this is post-hardcore or some form of indie

Not my bag, to be honest (really do not like the vocals... at all! not hating, it's just the honest truth).

But, yes, that is something I'd consider Post-Hardcore. Maybe PHC with some mordern Pop-Punk influence, but still PHC.
Well, I guess I could mention Cap'n Jazz again. They have several similar elements within the music.

I also really like the band, Desaparecidos, though they had a grittier sound and, um, less nasally (?) vocals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ7fTNNufqk <--- (Ignore the cheesy video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c3z0GubIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLSbGsXdHs

yelpy > nasally. ;)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there's probably already a thread for this in the Recommendations forum. You should check there.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:40 am 

Varth just decided to take a month off from this tedious routine of posting stuff.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm 

Yeah that's not quite what I'm looking for, the production isn't my thing at all. I kind of dig the nasally vocals in this type of music, but I'd rather have screaming/shouting more than anything. Thanks for trying though, definitely going to try that forum.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 pm 

Use this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70471

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.