Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:08 pm 

Legitimate question. Think of a society that developed entirely different from ours. If they're intelligent, they must have created music to entertain themselves. If said society and civilization did evolve evolve different, would they have created something akin to heavy metal? And if they did, would it even sound anything like ours?
I'd absolutely LOVE to hear what an extraterrestrial heavy metal band would sound like. My mind would probably be fucked. My mind already is getting fucked nightly listening to terrestrial heavy metal. I just got into Witchfinder General and their opus, Friends of Hell, actually. There are thousands more bands out there.

Hey, ET. Do you headbang?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:24 pm 

Could a lifeform inside our universe do something we already did?

If A is the case then A is possible. You are welcome.

*something about apes writing shakespeare*
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:26 pm 

I'm too lazy to read this, but I have often pondered what an alien civilization would be like.

Chances are, they aren't likely to be much like us at all... I have to figure even the laws of physics would be different. So much of our environment has to do with incredibly random circumstances... like, the moon being where it is and such.. magnets 'n shit... seasons... everything is built from the culmination of random-ass shit bumping into each other in just the right space.

There are probably very few, if any planets "exactly" like earth (just as any other life-sustaining planet is probably fairly unique in the sum of its characteristics)

I have to imagine an intelligent extraterrestrial life form would be totally unique, as we are to it, due largely in part to its unique environment.

I mean, the earth alone has had many life forms through different ages... and those all developed according to the environment. I seriously doubt any advanced civilization even has similar instruments, let alone music...

It's kind of a mindfuck to imagine there might be beings having the same thoughts as we do, though. Existential crises. Feeling lost and alone in the galaxy [EDIT: Meant to say universe]... sort of makes existence seem less lonely to believe that.

Hell, even if there were only just planets full of mindless, plant-like creatures, that counts for something.

I'm rambling.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:41 pm 

If gorillas developed human-like intelligence, would they make heavy metal? Would gorilla metal be the heaviest thing to ever grace this earth? Imagine Autopsy, but played by four alpha Silverback Gorillas instead.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 pm 

Marag wrote:
If gorillas developed human-like intelligence, would they make heavy metal? Would gorilla metal be the heaviest thing to ever grace this earth? Imagine Autopsy, but played by four alpha Silverback Gorillas instead.

Damn.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm 

Alien metal would sound like:

A) if good, like Darkspace

B) if lame, like Rings of Saturn.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.