Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:19 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Napalm_Satan lives under a rock.
Napalm_Satan wrote:
Hey, man, don't be bagging me rock. It's cozy rock.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Thu May 26, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:27 am 

chugging_pus wrote:
I slept on the band since. From what I heard the songs are super minimalist, quiet and boring. What is it that I'm missing?? Where is the brilliance?
I'd like to know this too, because I've heard at least 10 dozen bands who play the exact same sleep deprived moaning experimental rock. Car commercials these days have less vapid repetitive music, and believe me I has no desire to praise car commercial music.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:58 pm 

The thing about Radiohead is that they're the darlings of indie-hipster kvltvre, and indie-hipsters live and breathe minimalist, ironic, can't-givva-damn pseudo-artsiness.
Radiohead is to hipsters what Black Sabbath is to stoner rock fans— the end-all-be-all of all that is their scene, complete with commercial success and critical support. And while a few bands have broken through the ceiling to achieve monstrous success (the whole indie wave for hipsters, and the retro-metal thing for fans of stoner/doom/trad metal), most bands are only successful in the underground, and you can usually earn brownie points for knowing them.

The thing is that hipsters are the dominant cultural force right now, so it's no wonder that Radiohead is lauded in the mainstream by Pitchfork NME types whose sense of artistic sensibility often began with reading Scott Pilgrim while listening to the Pixies and thinking they were cool, alternative kids.
To say that Radiohead is a bad band would be to ignore what they've actually done. They can carry a melody infinitely better than most modern alt-pop bands out there. Of course, that might just be because modern indie pop bands learned everything they knew from Radiohead.

One reason why Radiohead's near universal support may seem to be waning a bit in recent years is because the indie wave and domination of hipsters has been fading. Alternative rock as a whole is nearing the end of its lifespan, and only fans of legacy alt-rock and indie-rock don't see it coming. "Classic" rock, for example, lasted around 25 years. It succeeded the rock-a-billy and proto-rock bands of the '40s and '50s and truly started with the British Invasion in '64 and ended 25 years later in 1991 (though it only became truly apparent around '93).
Alternative rock's glory period that lasted throughout the '90s and early '00s has faded and now we have these obsessively image obsessed indietronic and indie-folk bands that thrive on being the artsiest band that has ever walked the face of the Earth (see: Arcade Fire and Kodaline, who I always felt were thumbs-down versions of Radiohead and Coldplay respectively, the latter of which already being a thumbs-down version of a fusion of Radiohead and U2). There are a few indie-punk bands that have attempted to keep guitar music alive in the mainstream, but have failed miserably (see: The 1975, who I actually think is kind of alright, and Paramore, who hasn't been good in a decade). And then there's metalcore, which seems to be highly divisive. Killswitch Engage is pretty good, and I like Trivium, but my interest in the scene peters out around there, and no one can deny that the emo-whines-meet-death-growls vocal style of the scene is starting to test people's patience. The Lumineers qualifies as "rock" by technicality, but if that's the case, then they're the Tesla of modern rock.

Factor in a Donald Trump presidency, and you can see how the otherwise docile and zen indie scene is destined for a spectacular collapse. Whenever you get a Republican presidency, you always get a big wave of angry rock music. Sometimes for the better (see: Nixon and the early '70s for the birth of heavy rock, heavy metal and punk; Reagan and the '80s for the rise of thrash and extreme metal, hardcore punk, and college/alternative rock; Bush I for the rise of grunge and noise-alt rock) and sometimes for worse (see: Bush II for the rise of nü metal and emo screamo). It's been 25 years since Nevermind. The era of up-and-downing the same chord for 3 minutes and calling that a rock song has already passed. Radiohead's style of atmospheric minimalist indietronic rock won't last another year, if that.

I personally hope the fledgling mainstream doom-rock scene gets picked up, because I don't know if I could stand the likes of a worse-version of Limp Bizkit and Slipknot.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:07 pm 

I love The Bends and especially Ok Computer, they're great pieces of intelligently written alt rock. Ok Computer has this gorgeous washed-out atmosphere that I can't really put anything I've ever heard on par with. So many other bands have tried to mimic it and utterly fail.

Kid A is really good in places. It's definitely a big step down from the previous two albums. Every album after that, I can completely take or leave after a song here and there

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:06 am 

So you guys know, the band themselves notoriously hate Creep, and as such it is not a great starting point to their music. OK Computer has some undeniably incredible moments, most obviously Paranoid Android.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:16 pm 

Generally speaking, alt/art/soft rock along with 99% of pop/vanilla rap is up there in my "never listen to/shit that sucks" list so I might be a bit biased.

After checking out some of their tunes, my disdain for pretentious music grew even moreso & now I avoid anything & everything that has the words 'alternative' or 'art' as genre prefixes. Most of what I've heard in this genre is that atrocious slow sing/speak thing (which I dislike quite strongly) over bland soft rock instrumentation with 'deep & profound' :wanker: lyrics. Throw an arsty video on top of with a confused white chick in it & voila! pretentious rock 101. Generalizing quite a bit there but yeah, that's how I feel. To put it even more bluntly, I've heard more engaging lounge music than this band & many of its ilk ffs.

Also, the circlejerk is extremely strong for this one among music fans, being the huge hipster (hey, I own it :-D ) I am I was quick to find multiple flaws in this supposedly untouchable masterpiece of modern art...give me a fucking break. Then again what do I know because I listen to that talentless screamo garbage :lol:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm 

^Exactly. They're complete wankers. To me, "avant-garde" or "art rock/pop/shit" literally translates to fucking garbage.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2