Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 am 

I haven't posted here in a long time, I kind of got burned out on music entirely. I came back through to ask a practical question from all of you. I recently got a job as a dishwasher in an Italian restaurant, and I've been there for about 3 weeks. I was told that most people quit within 3 weeks because they can't handle the pressure. And it is definitely stressful at times. It's harder than I thought. I not only load the dishes on the rack, and take them off, I also wash pots by hand, which I have to go to the line to grab, and I can only have 3 clean racks queued before I get jammed up. I take the plates over to the plate rack when the cart gets full. Silver wear is kind of a pain because it takes precious time to sort. When it's busy, it's easy to get buried in plates. I also have to close at the end of the night, and that means all the kitchen implements come rushing in at once.

It's also quite frustrating when something goes through the dishwasher and doesn't come out totally clean.

So, those of you who are dishwashers, or used to be, what was your experience like? And did you learn any "shortcuts", any tips to help speed things up and make it a little easier on yourself?

Last edited by Unifying_Disorder on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:18 am 

Well, you may not have posted here in a long time, but the quality of your thread topics seems to have stayed pretty consistent.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:20 am 

I always wash my dishes in water. You really can't go wrong with that.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:34 am 

fuck it.

Last edited by WaywardSon on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:37 am 

Because MutantClannfear makes threads about mundane topics all the time!
Hehe, foreskins.

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:06 am 

I'm going to assume that was a dig at me and therefore point out that WaywardSon doesn't actually do much on the forums besides dig at people he doesn't like.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:30 am 

Spoiler: show
Dish washing sucks. I was done after one fucking day of that shit (which I didn't even get paid for). They don't pay nearly enough for all the bullshit you're expected to be able to do (and it's a fuck of a lot more than just "dish washing", so IDK why they call it that when "dish washing" includes also washing the fucking shitter and sweeping the restaurant floors and taking out trash while the catty, gay waiters act snippy with you the whole time because they're "stressed out, omgggg!")

Fucking lame job. Worst job possible in a restaurant, especially a bakery/cafe. FUCKING FLOUR! URGH!!!

As much as I hate the work my current job entails (mostly because I only get minimum wage and no benefits), I've managed to stick with it for roughly 3 months over a day of washing dishes. My job as a school custodian is actually kind of a breeze any time of year except the summer (right now), which is when we have to pull out/move around fucktons of furniture and clean everything and buff/wax floors and blah blah blah.

It's boring. It doesn't pay what the physical labor is worth (especially in my case--city employees at least get benefits. Voc. rehab employees get fuck all). Eats up all your fucking free time as a full-time job. Makes you sore and tired. Makes you soggy as fuck... but then so did washing dishes, and at least most the water from doing floors stays at foot level (god damn, do I ever have some athletes foot from cleaning floors, though!). You also get to move around and take breathers more often than you would washing dishes full time.

Seemed like my one shift, I barely got to leave the sink for anything except to put up dishes and take out trash. Taking a break was pointless because it just meant returning to a fucking pile-up of dishes.

Hate dish washing...

The only shortcut I have is, if the waiters act like bitches, let them sort the silverware out themselves... Otherwise, take the time to sort it.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 am 

Dish washing sucks balls plain and simple but you'll get used too it. I did it for like two years when I was a teenager but it opened the door to the career I'm in now so I can't really complain. You'll get used to the work and discover your own rhythm for things eventually, by the time I wound up quitting I had an 8 hour shift that I only really worked about 5 hours during and that included doing kitchen prep work and putting away the stock on delivery day. Plus there was serious perks like tips when busy tables or helping with parties and all the free food you could ever want from the kitchen and also pretty much everybody leaves you alone as long as the dishes get cleaned.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:48 am 

My house mate has a dish washing brush that contains soap in it so perhaps use that?
Seems to save time not having to wait until the water gets soapy.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:36 am 

I work dish and prep stuff for a sort of "upscale pub". Been a dish pig for two years at this point, but they're already showing me how to cook a few entrees and hopefully I'll be bumped up to the line at the end of the summer because one of the cooks is moving to Vancouver. MC may think this is a dumb topic, but hey, at least it's one I have a lot of recent experience in! :D

Honestly, I don't even mind the tiring work anymore. Anytime I get sort of down because it's busy or the shift is long I tell myself to pick it the fuck up and just be grateful I'm employed. It's one of the grossest jobs you'll ever encounter; you don't even know the awful places I've had to clean from the grease traps to the gray mush behind the dishwasher in the back corner...but eh, if you work in a place with good management and one that'll pay you on time and won't make arbitrary deductions (both haven't been the case with me before, you wouldn't believe how often some people just try and scam you) it really isn't that bad, there's room to move upward (most line cooks I know got their start working dish and I know of some places here that won't hire a cook unless he has dishwashing experience) and manual labor is easy once your body gets used to it. It's a more rewarding profession at the end of the day than any sort of paper-pushing job, to me. (Although of course, the pay is chump change.)

SKYLESS AEONS - blackened weirdo melodeath
CRYOPATHY - riffy DSBM/suicide mosh music

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
there's room to move upward (most line cooks I know got their start working dish and I know of some places here that won't hire a cook unless he has dishwashing experience)

I went a different route, I actually got a job with the company that delivered to food to where I worked and wound up becoming a truck driver out of it. I don't work for that company anymore because they sucked balls and the management team was full of a bunch of assholes but I'm still a truck driver and I do pretty well for myself. A much better path (I feel) then if I had started working in retail like I wanted to when I was looking for my first job.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:32 pm 

Honestly? For me, Cocaine. I used to wash dishes and deliver for Pizza Hut. On my routes I'd pick up a gram and share with everyone that pitched in including other drivers, cooks, waiters/waitresses, even managers. Sometimes we'd get discounts from this dealer since I'd always hook him up with extra cheese, pepper, and napkins, plus the cooks would put extra toppings on all his orders. As soon as I drove up the restaurant I could see people's noses twitching. The waiters with the gift of gab would go at 100 mph and get paid left and right as well as hook up a girl's number. The cooks, who would have to stand by the oven needed it especially on those busy hours as they were not allowed to take breaks. Us washers/drivers had to wash every dish and crusty pan by hand with a scalding spray gun and scraper. No dishwashing machines. After a couple of bumps and We Were the dishwashing machines. There was nothing like feeling that icy drip while Black Sabbath blasted in the little boom box. Everybody air-guitaring. I'm not saying you should start doing cocaine. Cocaine is evil. It's bad for your heart in the long run. I quit that shit a long time ago but that shitty job would have been a lot shittier if it weren't for the candy. After hours we'd all get together at someone's house to talk shit about our main boss and party till the morning. Ah, youth.

Last edited by nekuomanteia on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Big Beautiful Frenchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:45 pm 

I wanted to post yesterday but my camping internet died. Here ya go. Also, yeah, don't do cocaine...

I worked as a dishwasher for 1 year before moving to go to the university (that's what, 4 years ago) and it was a very shitty job. I worked at a restaurant where a lot of seafood are served so I smelled horrible after but bah, it wasn't too bad. It was definitely stressful when it was very busy but during the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) it was pretty quiet and I had the time to talk with the staff (cool guys, good teamwork...) and the manager and me were always talking about hockey. We were 2 dishwashers for Friday and the Week End. I probably wouldn't do it again as it's dirty and it's one of the lowest job you can have, but eh my experience wasn't that bad and I had a free supper every night! I had work-clothes too and they were washed by a company so no biggie for that but damn, I always brought a 2nd pair of under wears especially during the winter.

I think I broke one plate throughout the whole year I worked there, my main tip: go at your pace, try to be fast but eh, it's not worth it to be an exceptional drone worker. Try the harder you can and always maintain a good attitude and be well liked by your co-workers.

By the way, I think we could expand this thread and it make about all fields of low wage jobs or at least, jobs in restoration.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 pm 

There's an older guy who's been washing dishes for years. He showed me a trick. He brings stainless/bronze scouring ball to break up tough stuff in pots and pans. It works really well.

I don't get free food, I think it's half off, but I don't bother. I do get free drinks though. I only drink water though, I don't want to get a sugar crash from soda.

Another thing I do is use earplugs. It cuts out a lot of the kitchen noise, and dulls the clanging of dishes and silverwear. Yet I can hear people fine, albeit a little muffled.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I think I broke one plate throughout the whole year I worked there, my main tip: go at your pace, try to be fast but eh, it's not worth it to be an exceptional drone worker.

I disagree with this completely. One of the main reasons I started getting more shifts and have started to get training for the line was because I initially got noticed as a particularly fast worker; once I get in my rhythm, I can catch up and close a lot faster than anyone else. They don't want people who just go at a lighter pace working the line, because it can get pretty intense and fast service is vital to any restaurant business staying afloat.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:23 pm 

Metantoine gave some really great advice. Coincidentally my father owns 2 Italian restaurants and the fact about pacing yourself is great advice. I'll explain, If you bust your ass all the time your boss will begin to expect it always. Trust me!
Unless you are planing to make a career in the same establishment, don't kill yourself. The money is not worth it.

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Frenchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:28 pm 

^this. Rape, Good for you if you want to work more hours and be well liked by your boss but he'll always ask more and more and give you what? His gratitude? Maybe you'll become assistant cook but I know you and you're going to university and everything, for now having this is a temporary job is good but that's about it.

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:48 pm 

Is this an incognito thread for the Folk Punk band Wingnut Dishwashers Union?

I'm confused :|

I hate music

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:52 pm 

Folk Punk? NOT IN MY METAL ARCHIVES! :grr:

Scamming? I've gotten $50 deducted from my paycheck at my current job. No explanation, no logical reason, no idea why, no idea who to even talk to about it (kill, I mean). It's probably too late now anyway. That as 2 checks ago.

It still pisses me off. I just wanted to complain about it...

Seems like every level and department of the American public school system suffers from some degree of corruption and scandal. It's always the people on top, or the people who've been doing it the longest and think they're too fucking good to get caught who do the most crimes at the expense of the people who do the real fucking work, of course. It's easy to make an "accounting error", especially when they know you, the employee, are probably not going to do anything about it, much less know who to go to.

Give some insecure, poorly-educated loser a little bit of authority and they start to abuse it immediately. I swear, "being the boss" is the only hobby some people have... That's especially true in positions like custodial work when someone works up to "head custodian" or "supervisor" or whatever else when they've been "just a custodian" for x number of years.

I'm not trying to say all supervisors/head custodians/head office workers are manipulative, conning, power-hungry scumbags, just that more than enough of them are for it to be a problem...

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
^this. Rape, Good for you if you want to work more hours and be well liked by your boss but he'll always ask more and more and give you what? His gratitude? Maybe you'll become assistant cook but I know you and you're going to university and everything, for now having this is a temporary job is good but that's about it.

Well I mean, I haul ass when I've got a lot to do but once you're on top of things you can go at a nice pace. The key is not necessarily to be busy, just to look like you're always busy with something :P I would agree with you if there wasn't an opportunity for a promotion, but in my case there is and I might as well try and move up as quickly as I can.

And yes, that is what I intend to do with this job; hopefully work as a cook (maybe even a bartender!) to pay my way through university. Who knows, maybe I'll end up making something out of it. It's a decent fallback.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:20 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Good for you if you want to work more hours and be well liked by your boss but he'll always ask more and more and give you what? His gratitude?

I agree here. If you want to rise, go tell the boss: I can give it 100% if I get promoted to X position by Y month.

Otherwise, you're just another willing tool, and there are many of those. (There are many more slackers, but they never get anywhere.)

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 am 

Yeah, you guys make unemployment look a lot more fun than it really is.