Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:52 am 

I find it weird that there's only one episode left. One. How the hell are they going to satisfyingly close this up in just one more hour?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:25 pm 

Eh I'm not sure, I'd say that in the last few episodes we've gotten most of the conclusion. The evil of Walt's actions have rained down on him and everyone around him. He lost his family, all he has now is his destructiveness and hubris. I think the only things left are how Walt dies and what happens to Jessie. My guess is that the ricin pill Walt retrieved is for himself. Actually that would be quite poetic as a conclusion, considering the first scene of the series had Walt attempting, and failing, to kill himself.

I really hope Jessie gets a decent way out. He's had so much awful shit happen to him, which makes sense thematically because unlike Walt he has been well aware of his culpability for a long time. But he's paid his price and I think he deserves a way out. I'm not counting on it though, this show has been consistently surprising and very well might deny even that small spot of hope.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:40 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Eh I'm not sure, I'd say that in the last few episodes we've gotten most of the conclusion. The evil of Walt's actions have rained down on him and everyone around him. He lost his family, all he has now is his destructiveness and hubris. I think the only things left are how Walt dies and what happens to Jessie. My guess is that the ricin pill Walt retrieved is for himself. Actually that would be quite poetic as a conclusion, considering the first scene of the series had Walt attempting, and failing, to kill himself.

I really hope Jessie gets a decent way out. He's had so much awful shit happen to him, which makes sense because unlike Walt he has been well aware of his culpability for a long time. But he's paid his price and I think he deserves a way out. I'm not counting on it though, this show has been consistently surprising and very well might deny even that small spot of hope.

I agree with you. If Walt manages to kill his former colleagues, Gretchen and Elliot and Jack and his men and get his money back that would be ideal for him as he has won in all of his battles up to when Hank arrested him and the Nazis killed Hank and took his money. I don't want to see him come out on top of everyone as it makes more sense to see him implode and finally lose. All he has left is some of his money and principles at this point.

Though I do agree that with the way the pace has been going with this show there is a lot left to accomplish for a 'full' conclusion. There is Todd needing to address his love interest with Lydia, are the neo-nazis going to get killed or arrested? What will happen to Jessie? Doesn't make much sense to me if he gets killed or put in jail for the rest of his life What about Walt's family and Marie? Will they get the money or get a chance to face Walt again? Gretchyn and Elliot had a renewed showing and motivation for Walt to get off his butt and not give up in the last episode so something is bound to happen with them in the finale. Is Saul going to make an appearance in this episode? He went to the vacuum guy to hide-out after Walt did.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yeah, I mean sure they can wrap things up... it's just hard to imagine it won't feel a bit rushed. How much denouement can we realistically expect here?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:10 pm 

As much as I like Jesse - he is probably my favorite character - he really brought most of the bad shit that happened upon himself. I felt really bad about him getting kidnapped and forced to work for Todd and all, but honestly he could have gotten out way back after Jane died. But no, he decided to start selling meth to people in a rehab group. He could have avoided Brock being poisoned by following Walt's advice and not going after those two street dealers. But no, he had to go and try to be an avenger. None of what's happening to him now would have happened if he had been a better person and thought about shit more.

That's why this show is so good though, every character's got flaws and is responsible in some measure for what happens to them.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:33 pm 

Yeah, fuck Matt Damon. I really didn't care for the new characters they've brought in in the last season. Not sure how the last episode is gonna play out, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the latter half of season 5 so far. count me out of the spin-off series though, as much as I love Saul Goodman I can't bring myself to keep watching a show that should have ended entirely tomorrow night. I knew they were gonna cheapen the whole show after season 3 really took off on the ratings.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:21 pm 

DarthVenom wrote:
Oh man, I am in such a first-world-problems pickle right now. I've only seen up to the eighth episode of season five, and I've unfortunately had Hank's death spoiled for me, so I'm tempted to just go for the gusto and watch the final episode tomorrow, then pick up the pieces later with the episodes I missed. Because I know that once tomorrow night's episode airs, living a spoiler-free existence is going to be next to impossible. Guess I have a day to decide.

Don't skip episodes, terrible idea. And while it sucks that you were spoiled, it shouldn't detract from your enjoyment so much. A lot of shit happens, not just Hank's death. I was spoiled Gus's death myself a while back (I didn't know when or how, I just looked up something on youtube and in the related videos there was one titled "Gus death" -_-) but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the best show on TV.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm 

It's pretty damn important to keep up to date these days. Thankfully when I started watching Breaking Bad they were up only four episodes into season 3 so there wasn't really much to give away, compared to the last two seasons where shit hit the fan. I've little interest in watching Saul Goodman's spin off show. I feel we've already been overexposed by his character (his involvement in leaving town and rooming with Walt) and would like at least a few years absence before being brought back into his office, plus, even though it's not directly linked, it cheapens the whole conclusion of Breaking Bad and makes it seem less important.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:27 pm 

Out of all the potential spin-offs one that focused on Gus or Captain Cook (Jesse was hysterical when he was such an idiot at the beginning) would interest me the most.

Saul does make sense and there is plenty of room for a show focused around his sleazy lawyer dealings. Huel also cracks me up. But I'm afraid that there would be only so much I could take with Saul before he would get on my nerves too much.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:01 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Though I do agree that with the way the pace has been going with this show there is a lot left to accomplish for a 'full' conclusion. There is Todd needing to address his love interest with Lydia, are the neo-nazis going to get killed or arrested? What will happen to Jessie? Doesn't make much sense to me if he gets killed or put in jail for the rest of his life What about Walt's family and Marie?

Eh, I figure much of that has been mostly accomplished or isn't really that important (aside from Jessie). Walt destroyed his family, Marie is a widow- though I do think she deserves a few minutes or a good scene in the last episode, her character developed well this season. I figure we'll see some conclusion between Walt and the neo-nazis, and Todd will get killed and/or kill someone important (Jessie?), but otherwise meh. I don't think Lydia and the rest of the gang are really central to the heart of the story.

Empyreal wrote:
As much as I like Jesse - he is probably my favorite character - he really brought most of the bad shit that happened upon himself. I felt really bad about him getting kidnapped and forced to work for Todd and all, but honestly he could have gotten out way back after Jane died. But no, he decided to start selling meth to people in a rehab group. He could have avoided Brock being poisoned by following Walt's advice and not going after those two street dealers. But no, he had to go and try to be an avenger. None of what's happening to him now would have happened if he had been a better person and thought about shit more.

See that's exactly why I hope he gets out. Totally, he did some awful shit and is a complete idiot, but he knows it. Unlike Walt, who holds himself up to this absurd standard of doing it 'for his family' (whist destroying it in the process) Jessie knows he is did this to himself. I kind of see it as a contrast of morality- evil is evil, but worse when committed in the pursuit of some idealistic vision (Walt) than stupidity or weakness (Jessie).

But we'll see. If more shit pours down on Jessie and he ends up dead in a ditch I'll probably revise my take on that.

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I knew they were gonna cheapen the whole show after season 3 really took off on the ratings.

Pfft, you be tripping. I thought season 4 had the odd wobbly moment but 5 has been some of the best fiction created in TV formant.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:11 am 

Quote:
(I didn't know when or how, I just looked up something on youtube and in the related videos there was one titled "Gus death" -_-)

Jeez. Gus's death is one that was a long time coming, but the actual scene in which it happened was still a huge "Holy hell!" for me.

And yeah, I've talked myself down from watching the finale without context. It'd be like opening the last Christmas present early and having the impact diminished because it's connected to all the other presents and was being set aside as the last present under the tree and this simile is getting out of hand so I'll end it here.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:36 am 

I honestly can't believe the show is ending tonight. Can't wait to see what happens, hope it's a satisfying ending.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:06 am 

DarthVenom wrote:
Quote:
(I didn't know when or how, I just looked up something on youtube and in the related videos there was one titled "Gus death" -_-)

Jeez. Gus's death is one that was a long time coming, but the actual scene in which it happened was still a huge "Holy hell!" for me.

That's very true because I was in a similar situation. Season 5 had already started airing and I was mid-way through season 4. I wanted to see the schedule of the episodes of season 5 on IMDB and a blurb, which caught my eye, mentioned something along the lines of "Now that Gus is dead..." I couldn't help but get into a facepalm. Luckily, the way everything unfolded was way exciting in spite of knowing the end outcome.

@DarthVenom, I recommend you binge watch the remaining episodes (time willing of course) and then get into the finale.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:34 pm 

I thought it ended perfectly.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 pm 

Best series finale that I've ever seen...pretty much what everyone was hoping for is my guess.

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 am 

I couldn't help myself from yelling 'Nooo Jesse what are you DOING?' during the confrontation with Walt :lol:. I'm happy it didn't end that way. There was kind of a nod to Crawl Space which I approve of considering I think it's still my favorite episode of the series. Man, I can't believe it's all over.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:26 am 

I'm glad Skinny Pete and Badger's storyline got its rightful conclusion.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:36 am 

I wonder how Jesse will fuck up his newfound freedom.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:21 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I wonder how Jesse will fuck up his newfound freedom.

I kept thinking he was gonna die in a horrible car crash by driving so recklessly. :lol:

I wonder if Huell is still waiting in that motel?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 am 

I'm glad Walt's dead, ending it any other way would be a let down.

VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 am 

I can die happy now.

Also, Death by Stevia was perfectly appropriate.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 am 

Stevia...?

Edit: oh, the sweetener. Right.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 am 

Even though I knew the gunfire was coming it was still a surprise. I actually thought that it was going to be a diversion and what looked like dynamite was going to be triggered in the trunk. But I was happy with the result either way. Walt's meeting with the Gretchen and Elliott Schwartz was genius, totally set the stark and serious mood for the rest of the show. Overall I was pleased with how it gave the viewers a big pay off without being unrealistic about it.

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 am 

Just remember, the two best hit men west of the mississipi

Spoiler: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 am 

I just think it's amazing that it still wasn't the cancer that killed Walt. He's one tough SOB.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:44 am 

What period of time spans the whole series? Is it like, a couple years? A few months?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
What period of time spans the whole series? Is it like, a couple years? A few months?

I think it's like a year and a half or two years. They show both Walt's 51st and 52nd birthdays.

Loved the finale, one of the best I've seen. This and the Spartacus finales are my favorite finales ever. Everything's wrapped up, no ambiguous endings (well, except maybe for Huell...) and just filler free. Loved the end with Walt in the lab. He finally admitted that everything he did was for himself and he ended up with the legacy he built, in the lab he designed. Just fantastic.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 am 

I was lucky enough to be able to spend most of the day cramming with the BB marathon before the finale, so I was caught up in time for the endgame. Man...what a rush. I can think of no better concluding shot for the series than of Walt lying dead, surrounded by cops who are just a fraction too late, surrounded by the remnants of the meth empire that he built. He fucked up his life and was pretty much toxic to anyone around him, but having done all he set out to do...it was a good day to die, all things considered.

Maybe I'm just an idealist, but I feel like the tiny part of him that was still Walter White, family man, did overcome Heisenberg at the very end. After all that he had done to Jesse, he chose to save his life. And no matter how much Walt insists now that he did it all for himself, there's still nine million dollars going to Flynn in less than a year. (Though it can also be argued that Walt wouldn't be able to spend the money anyway because of his relapsed cancer, so) I liked how Kimmel on Talking Bad referred to the machine-gun moment as "like Batman and the Joker rolled into one".

That first act of the episode was brilliantly paced. Oh shit, he's going to kill them!....no wait, he's making a deal with them for his family's prosperity. Oh shit, now he's going to kill them!...no wait, that's just Badger and Skinny Pete.

Last edited by DarthVenom on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:26 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

I think it's like a year and a half or two years. They show both Walt's 51st and 52nd birthdays.

IIRC they show his 50th birthday in the pilot, so it is two years.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 pm 

Just watched the finale this morning! Very satisfying. I was stoked when that M60 started going off.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:12 pm 

The ending was very satisfying. The whole circle closed, and there was nothing pointlessly abstract or shallow going on in the finale. If living in a world without Breaking Bad is anything like meth withdrawal, then I'm in some serious trouble.

Also, they only added that scene with Badger and Skinny Pete to cater to the fans. It was needless, but I loved it.

Obligatory Last FM Link

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 pm 

How poetic and fitting it was for Walt to die in a Meth lab.

I loved the ending; it is just a little awkward just how happy an ending it was though. It was the best possible outcome for every character involved (at least for the ones we are meant to care about).

I loved the twist with Gretchen and Elliot though. I'm sure most of us were thinking Walt was going to torture or kill them but he treated them with respect in the end (by Walt standards) and it was a great way of getting the money to his family so he could die happy. Everyone knew he was going to go after Jack and his men, but the way he took care of that was just awesome with the machine gun. It was really clever how they made it look like he was attacking Jesse but in fact he was saving his life so no one would be wondering why he was diving. And then Jesse choosing not to kill him and just let him die on his own worked out well. With the history of the relationship between these two it was really fitting. I love how Lydia's obsession with her schedule and that tea she always drank led to her downfall. After everything that has happened to Jesse the show was as kind as it could be to him in this one letting him have the satisfaction of killing Todd. And the little interaction he has with Skyler was well done. He finally admitted he did everything for himself.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:55 pm 

Perfect ending. Standing ovation worthy. I'm really gonna miss this show.

DarthVenom wrote:
there's still nine million dollars going to Flynn in less than a year. (Though it can also be argued that he wouldn't be able to spend the money anyway because of his illness, so)

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Perfect ending. Standing ovation worthy. I'm really gonna miss this show.

DarthVenom wrote:
there's still nine million dollars going to Flynn in less than a year. (Though it can also be argued that he wouldn't be able to spend the money anyway because of his illness, so)

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Walt wouldn't be able to spend the money anyway, or at least not get much mileage out of it, because he was dying. Shit, I just realized you might have thought I meant Flynn; I edited the post to better make my intentions clear.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm 

Ah ok, sorry for the accusation. I thought that's what you were implying.

:beer:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm 

Brilliant conclusion! :)

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 pm 

Maaaan, so good. Loved the scene with Gretchen and Elliot, plus Walt and Skylar, damn. I loved that line of Walt's- "I did it for me. I like it. I was good at it. I felt alive'. Frigging, finally, and fittingly, Walt embraces his moral culpability. Ugh and the scene of him stroking his daughters hair- I don't feel sorry for Walt at all but that was still moving.

My only minor quibble (really minor) is that while Walt obviously hadnt expected or wanted to survive, we don't entirely know what his plan was. I thought it quite fitting he was accidentally killed by his own deviousness, but surely he must have considered that Jessie wouldn't kill him (btw 'Do it yourself', I wanted to cheer for Jessie at that moment'). So would Walt have shot himself? I'm sure he didn't want to get captured and put his family through more pain.

Anyway, overall I loved it. S5 has been absolutely amazing, really couldn't ask for much more. I'm gonna give it some time, but I can see myself re-watching the series from EP1 within the next couple months.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ah ok, sorry for the accusation. I thought that's what you were implying.

:beer:

No problem. :beer:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:59 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
I thought it quite fitting he was accidentally killed by his own deviousness, but surely he must have considered that Jessie wouldn't kill him (btw 'Do it yourself', I wanted to cheer for Jessie at that moment'). So would Walt have shot himself? I'm sure he didn't want to get captured and put his family through more pain.
I think after their last meeting he thought Jesse's rage would boil over and he would shoot him. I don't think he had a backup plan. Perhaps originally he was going to shoot Jesse and be shot by Jesse in the process but he changed his mind as it happened. He might not have fired and just used the gun to agitate and encourage Jesse to shoot him.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 pm 

It seemed like he wanted the police to catch him, what with the phone call, being so obvious with the car, et cetera. His conversation with Skyler made it seem like he didn't care if they did at all, but only after he got Jack's gang. I don't think it would have caused any more pain - he did that in spades already. Plus him being dead would be equally bad anyway.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next