Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VHSDVD123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm 

So I recently started purchasing vinyl records. I am relatively new to this as I grew up with tapes and CDs. I have a wet cleaning solution made from dawn dish soap, distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

I would like to hear your methods of cleaning your records, with the interest of keeping them preserved as long as possible in mind.
I just bought a sheepskin shammy to while them with, I'm wondering if this is a good idea or if I should just use a normal dish rag, though I'm afraid of scratching the records. The sheepskin shammy sometimes leaves little bits on the record which I have to while off with another cloth. What is the best type of cloth to use when whiping them down?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:23 pm 

VHSDVD123 wrote:
What is the best type of cloth to use when whiping them down?

Microfiber cloths. They are also great for cleaning eyeglass lenses and CDs/DVDs. You should be able to find some at most large grocery, drug, or department stores.

Also think about getting a good carbon fiber record cleaning brush for (dry) cleaning the dust off of records that have already had a good wet cleaning, but might just be a little dusty. Since records seem to constantly attract dust, it's an essential cleaning tool. Get a good one. Some cheaper ones are known to shed fibers.

If you handle and store your records properly, they should not need more than one wet cleaning ever, and then just run the carbon fiber brush over them before each play.

My current, preferred wet cleaning method is to liberally apply a solution consisting of distilled water with a bit of very plain/natural liquid soap and distilled white vinegar. I spread solution and scrub a bit with one of these brushes that came in one of those pictured record cleaning kits I bought a long time ago. Then wipe/scrub some more with a wet microfiber cloth (always in a circular motion, with the grooves, of course). Rinse well under the kitchen tap with warm water, finishing with distilled water from a spray bottle. Dry with microfiber cloth and put in dish rack for further drying time. Final rinse needs to be distilled water because minerals and impurities in tap water can get left behind in the grooves.

Might sound like a lot of work, but if you do a dozen or so at a time, it works out pretty well and you'll only ever have to do it one time per record. I found that this method gets better results than anything short of a good vacuum record cleaning machine. I buy a lot of really filthy used, old records and this works great on even the dirtiest ones.

...but yeah, anyway, however you are doing your cleaning, microfiber cloths are good and safe for wiping/drying your vinyl.

VHSDVD123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 pm 

ok thank you,

if im using a solution of distilled water, isopropyl, and a few drops of dawn, should I always rinse it off with a solution of distilled water and isopropyl? will leaving a bit of Dawn on there not be good for the record?

EDIT: where do i get a vinyl brush?

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 pm 

That's a pretty complicated technique dude. It's probably effective though. I guess it all depends on how much effort you want to put into your playing.

I have a spray bottle with some isopropyl alcohol in it, and one of the previously mentioned microfibre cloths. I also have a microfiber brush for everyday maintenance. Don't get one of the felt brushes; those are pretty much a waste of time and were abandoned by most serious vinyl aficionados a long time ago.

I noticed you're Canadian; if you happen to be from Toronto, come to the Sunrise at Yonge and Bloor, we've got some good vinyl brushes there. Ask for Brad (me) and tell me you're from Metal-Archives. I'll give you a discount ;) (that goes for all of you schmucks)

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 pm 

korgull is pretty much our vinyl expert here ;)

I don't really clean vinyls that much, except maybe swipe the 'dirty' ones with a fine, non static cloth.

And probably the best place to buy a vinyl brush is off the web. Those entire cleaning kits are good too I guess, as long as you don't spend too much on them!

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 am 

i use a 3M microfibre cloth [the blue one] and IPA, but never dish washing liquid, apparently it damages old 'vinyl' [actual vinyl]
shammy / chamois it made me laugh that a canadian spelled it like that :roll:

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:00 am 

There's a few videos I've seen of people using wood glue to clean their records. Have you ever had experience with this technique?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:24 am 

you mean like water based PVA? then you peel it off once it's dry, removing all the crud? [like you did to your hands at school ha ha!]
i could see someone pouring epoxy resin or or liquid nails on...

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:29 am 

Exactly like that. I'd like to try it with a few dirty records I have, but it seems really strange to use (I mean it's glue, come on o_O). So far all the videos I've seen show success with it, so I guess it's more of the newness than anything that seems odd.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:50 am 

pretty cool stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDiF-eVOgoI

edit: i'd be keen to try an air compressor too

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 am 

This was a good thread to come by. I got my first vinyls today.

korgull wrote:
VHSDVD123 wrote:
What is the best type of cloth to use when whiping them down?

If you handle and store your records properly, they should not need more than one wet cleaning ever, and then just run the carbon fiber brush over them before each play.

This good for me to know. Like I said, I just purchased my first vinyls. I was probably just going to take my father's turntable he never uses. So, he was showing me everything. He does a wet cleaning before each time he was going to play one. That seemed unnecessary to me.

Reply to topic