* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:33 pm 

@RapeTheDead

Spoiler: show
Low are often lumped together with other slowcore or sadcore bands, which was a quasi-genre in the 90's that included other bands like Red House Painters, Idaho, Codeine, etc. That song is pretty representative of the band as a whole; lots of those gorgeous harmonies, super sparse instrumentation (usually just that clean guitar, upright bass, and a single cymbal and/or snare) and glacial pacing. Probably one of my favorite Steve Albini production jobs on that album, too.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:38 pm 

@iamntbatman

I'll definitely be looking into more of this stuff, I'm already a pretty big shoegaze fan and I generally just like any form of rock that has more sparse instrumentation and carries more emotional weight. Does this quasi-genre have any sort of relation to shoegaze? I assume not, since Low is American.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 pm 

@RapeTheDead

No direct relation to shoegaze, no, though they were pretty much contemporary movements. Most slowcore bands were American though I wouldn't be surprised if they sold more albums in the UK. Galaxie 500 are usually thought of as the major influence for the style, if you're familiar with them. It's definitely more downbeat, sorta bleak and sparse than most shoegaze. Maybe Idaho and Carissa's Weird are slightly shoegazey slowcore bands, I guess.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:38 pm 

CYNE- First Person

Dope rap I've never heard. Sick beat, the xylophone wrecks, the production is clear as fuck, the delivery is pretty straightforward but raw. Beyond that, I don't think there's that much to analyse, but it's enjoyable stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYZuoytrveM

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 am 

The White Buffalo - Oh Darlin What Have I Done

My first encounter with this band was at a friend of mine, who actually follows Sons of Anarchy. I have the idea they feature more often. The subject matter fits that series perfectly, as does the folk, blue grass kinda sound. I love the gentle guitar play, the slide guitar and the vocals. It just oozes melancholy and regret. Thanks for reminding me of this band. I should look into it more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9D71pQaTnc

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:48 am 

Muse - Knights of Cydonia

Interesting stuff. I can hear a lot of 70's British Prog here - shades of Rick Wakeman, Alan Parsons Project, War of the Worlds etc etc there.
Starts off with a burst of noise, eerie synth and horses a la bbc telephonic workshop stuff before the drums and guitars kick in. Then the keyboards, lots of keyboards, and I think a theremin? I must confess I've never liked this vocalist very much, but it's fairly restrained here, so quite palatable. The further it goes along the more layers of effects lie over anything until the "hard rock" part comes in. It's actually a really cool track, lots of stuff going on, but it's tastefully put together and nothing really sticks out as being laboured or pretentious. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRYKv2X5ZuE

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 am 

Bauhaus-Dancing

Oddly enough I was listening to this very album when I clicked your link. Go figure. I've just been getting into early goth and death rock recently and Bauhaus's first album, In the Flat Field, has been a big part of that. Dancing is a fun song. Driven by a funky bass line, it's certainly danceable as the title implies. The sound is filled out with spastic reverby guitar chords and some cool minimal sax (synth?) trills. With the exception of the lyrics I get a pretty strong Talking Heads vibe from this song. It's upbeat dancy quirkiness is quite enjoyable but maybe not as weighty as some of the other material they have produced (have to admit I have only listened to their first two LPs.) It works really well within the context of the album but isn't a single I would likely listen to on its own. But it certainly has its charms. I'm interested in any recommendations people have from this era/genre. I've heard most of the big names but I'm sure there are some that I have missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cKuqBGrvy8

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:49 am 

Wire: "Practice Makes Perfect"

Aw yeah, Wire! What a weird song, too...it, and this entire album, reminds me alittle of Bauhauss even, which perhaps isn't surprising. There's a tense, almost manic feeling here that seems to rise as more layers are added to the music. Guitars jangle and strike like some kind of alarm bell while a ridiculously thick bass slinks around underneath providing lots of interesting melodic lines. The synth/backing vocals are strange and disorienting and the lyrics, a repetitive mantra, strike me as vaguely threatening. In a case like this, the monotonous barking delivery is actaully an advantage. The amount of development from their debut to this album was really incredible, and I'm sure Chair's Missing had a huge impact on certain musicians in the later goth scene, even if I'm also reminded a little of Television or some similarly esoteric punk offshoot. Wire is, well, a lot noisier and edgier though, at least in this incarnation. So cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgXBdlkMFCg
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 am 

FlaPack wrote:
Bauhaus-Dancing

Oddly enough I was listening to this very album when I clicked your link. Go figure. I've just been getting into early goth and death rock recently and Bauhaus's first album, In the Flat Field, has been a big part of that. Dancing is a fun song. Driven by a funky bass line, it's certainly danceable as the title implies. The sound is filled out with spastic reverby guitar chords and some cool minimal sax (synth?) trills. With the exception of the lyrics I get a pretty strong Talking Heads vibe from this song. It's upbeat dancy quirkiness is quite enjoyable but maybe not as weighty as some of the other material they have produced (have to admit I have only listened to their first two LPs.) It works really well within the context of the album but isn't a single I would likely listen to on its own. But it certainly has its charms. I'm interested in any recommendations people have from this era/genre. I've heard most of the big names but I'm sure there are some that I have missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cKuqBGrvy8

I actually learned to play bass mostly from that album. My housemate at the time was a guitarist and he tabbed the whole thing out for me (this was pre internet days). There is quite a lot of tricky stuff in all the Bauhaus albums. So strangely enough, even though I play in Death/War metal bands, I learnt my chops on Bauhaus, Joy Division, Gang of Four, Wire, Magazine etc etc - bass-led post punk stuff in general.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:57 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Five Years - Sugar Hiccup

What have we here? The slightly effected bass slyly worms it's way into my headphones with all the charm and grace of the Serpent in the Garden of Eden, which gives a deep, rich backbone for some interesting vocals by this woman... before completely exploding!! Goddamn, I didn't see that coming. This is mostly comprised of just drum, guitar, bass and those sublime (yet fierce) vocals, which have a power and range you need to hear to comprehend - very impressive. The relative calm of this reaches it's crescendo early too, building ever more, with crooning, almost soothing tones before she has had enough, and can't contain it anymore. Very, very intriguing, short piece.

Imma just going to leave this here, and see who picks up the phone...

My collection

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

I don't listen to electronica that much so I'm going review this as an outsider's perspective. However, as an outsider, it still doesn't sound different from most "calm" sounding electronic music you hear in gadget adverts all the time. The intro starts off with some typical tone/knobplay while the drums were samples of claps and the occasional chimes. While the layers are interesting to listen and it comes one at a time but it just sounds very stereotypical in it's structure. First comes in the lack of piano which in the knobplay, then the piano kicks in, then the "ethereal" synth, with the typical "quite" part kicks in. Idk if it's a culture in electronic music but so many artist use this that even an outsider knows that it's pretty common as a structure. Post rock used to play with a similar structure but I imagine a lot of post-rock bands going with all sorts of experimental structures and forms, walking away from the original sound. It's calm but seems uninspired. Maybe it just sounds like that to the uninitiated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YplF4RWD9yY

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:54 pm 

@ Crushed Revelation:
Yes, Sugar Hiccup (and that singer in particular!) are very cool, but alas I know woefully little about them. An old Philipino friend copied this stuff for me years and years ago; I long since lost the tape and can only find a few things on youtube. Apparently they're quite an underground phenomenon over there but the guy told me that most of their stuff was released on cassette only.

PITAHATI: "Bintang Biru Kristal Salju"

Relaxed, yet rather up-beat, fun-sounding tune. I have no idea what this is about, lyrically, but it suggests guys sitting around some beachside café, smoking and playing cards and having a great time as this band of troubadors wanders around and serenades everyone. Of course it's not acoustic music, but the atmosphere is there nonetheless. A cool effect placed on the guitars during the verses gives a rather dreamy feeling, and the vocals are confident and well harmonised. I don't have a huge frame of reference for music like this but I was somewhat reminded of some African music I was introduced to as a young child. There's a funny thing: The song keeps threatening to pick up the pace and turn into a happy dance, introducing a jarring and playful shift up in tempo after every verse before subsiding again to the gentle, sedate verse pattern. Then at the end, there's actually a nice segue into the more motile "riff", and this time, rather than being deliberately jarring, you know it's coming, and it sounds extraordinarily satisfying. Topping that off is a really nice guitar solo in a jazzy style, which suddenly makes everything come together in a perfectly effective and logical way. Pretty cool stuff.

You should turn this one up, as the audio is pretty quiet, and the only other version I found on youtube cuts off halfway through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8kjPyiTmxE

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm 

@Abominatrix

Funny you said the song might be about beaches and a bunch of friends. It's far from that. :lol: The song, when literally translated from Malay, means Blue Stars & Winter Crystals or to put it into more logical sense, Snowflakes. The song can be taken in it's literal meaning or what you can infer because the song also plays around with "slangs." Literally, the song is about the change between night and day, where the stars go up and replace the sun, and the cycle continues. However if you were to take into account that the words Blue Stars & White Crystals could also refer to Crystal Meth, the lyrics can infer about, well, you know what. :lol: Though the band has dismissed the 2nd one despite obvious it is and I'm not saying Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds obvious, but more like what people say in the street obvious.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am 

@ scratch:
haha, interesting, indeed. Well, I wasn't guessing the song was really about guys relaxing at the beach, but just trying to describe how it made me feel/what I thought of when listening to such a tune. Not so far off from being as high as the stars now is it? :P...anyway it was nice and I think I'll listen to it again now.

Someone keep this thing going damit...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:35 pm 

Atomic Rooster - Hold Your Fire

This starts with a bouncy (yet somewhat subtle) electronic sounding beat, although it quickly becomes apparent that this will be a rock affair. Haven't heard these guys before, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think this is a case where I can recognize something as good music but I personally don't really care for it. I'm probably completely off (as I'm completely out of my element), but this almost reminds me of Pink Floyd meets the police in parts. Wasn't really in love with the vocal style. I will say that the guitar solos were pretty awesome. So yeah, I'd tell someone who dug the style to check it out, but not something I'd listen to on my own volition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuZEJS1bxK0

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:37 pm 

@ Dystopia:

You're probably the only person in the world now then who has heard something from Atomic Rooster's 1983 album, Headline News, before any of their vastly more popular 70s stuff. I personally feel a deep affinity for this band and specifically the work of the mastermind behind it, Vincent Crane, who is probably better known for penning and playing keyboard on all the best Arthur Brown tunes, before he got taken off the tour in a straightjacket that is. Maybe you would like their bluesier/hardrock/funkier older stuff more, i don't know. I personally am addicted to this tune and love everything about it, especially the vocals and that electronic drum beat/bassline. I grinned when you said there was a Pink Floyd reminiscence because that is indeed David Gilmour on guitar there, playing the solo at least. He was never a regular member but that album was recorded in a rambling old house Crane owned for a while that was something of a musicians' commune; Gilmour lived down the street apparently and would come and jam with the boys sometimes, so he and a few other guest musicians can be found on this, the last Rooster album.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:02 pm 

Hüsker Dü - Diane

One of my favorite songs ever, especially in the punk-like scene. I never really got if they were actually punk, but this song is. I love it: the grittiness, the dark lyrical content. The song is about the rape and murder of a St. Paul Waitress called Diane Edward, but narrated from the view of the perpetrator. Everything is completely right about this song. Being a child of the nineties I got acquainted with the Therapy? version before this one. That was a good song, but it doesn't even come close to this one. The emotion is a lot more raw and undiluted. This is my music, as well as metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS088Opj9o0

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm 

While Husker Du basically did come out of the hardcore scene, I wouldn't really feel comfortable calling them a full on punk band (they had an enormous influence on the indie scene). Also, I think back in the day when they signed to Warner a huge chunk of the punk scene turned their backs on them.

Also, Abom, that's pretty crazy that it's him on the solos. Those especially were what reminded me of Pink Floyd.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 pm 

Yes, therefore the I'm not really sure if I would like to call them punk, although I could have put that better in my text. Especially when I listened to more and other stuff made by them. They themselves never implied they were or anything in that direction. This song however is punk, if you would have to label it in a genre.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 am 

@Abom
That Atomic Rooster track was amazing. I knew that had to be Gilmour without looking it up. Such a distinctive sound/style. I also get a pretty strong Bowie vibe from this one. Really cool, moody stuff. I had only heard a couple of their earlier songs and it sounded nothing like this.Thanks for posting.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm 

@ FlaPack:

OH yes, they only did one album in this weird new wave-y style..it's called Headline News and is from 1983. THey were never able to record anything else after that. Seems a terrible shame as it could have marked the beginning of a great comeback for Crane and his band, but it turned out to be the swansong; Crane died some five years after making this, with the last of his legacy being a stint in Dexy's Midnight Runners where he had minimal songwriting input. Can't get enough of the Headline News album though. It's such an unsung, completely undervalued record, even among Rooster fans. Probably doesn't help that it now seems to be extremely rare.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm 

Madonna - Frozen

I'm actually a fairly big Madonna fan. She has a way of incorporating the strangest fucking chord progression in her pop music - this is an excellent example of this. It's almost "anti-pop" in the way it's littered with minor chords, off beats, and the incorporation of "up-step" drumming. If anything - it's an excellent example of why she should work more with European producers. Muted notation, excellent placement of accents, all drenched in a cavernous production with Madonna's vocals drifting in and out of the foreground (listen to that chorus...you hear that shit? that's how you use flanger is a fucking pop song) all the while maintaining a safe distance from prominence. The beat itself is trudging and melancholy without being hyper-dramatic, and lends itself to a well-timed miasma - each movement seemingly more natural than forced "pop" garbage. Think Massive Attack meets fucking Ace of Base - Yanni meets Slowdive. I'm not saying it's the most "exciting" song - but it's thoroughly well composed and a monster of a pop song and something that should have never been a hit. Whatever, I could go on and on about Madonna's 2000s career, as this was the first time she was famous enough to really fuck around.

Minimalist one-man pop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u58hiWGyQ4g

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 pm 

The European - Waves on Waves

Huh. I've always wanted to hear pop music from a non-mainstream angle and this is pretty much what I expected; an emphasis on simple, danceable hooks and a soft and chill atmosphere to go with it. I really like the guy's voice, a light coo around the edges of the music that makes it go down much smoother and he makes the choruses slick and stick in your head. The only real issue I have it with the backing beat; "minimalist" or whatever, I like my beats to be a little more uplifting and diverse in their soundscape than this really provides, so I can't fully get into it on that basis. It's a lot of fun, though.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:38 pm 

I really liked that track by the European. But then I like Soft Cell and the Pet Shop Boys haha. That cold, 4/4 beat and synth is the business.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 pm 

Uyama Hiroto: "Stratus"

Warm, cushiony, inviting. Sleepy. Breezy and sunny major key piano chords, and some sprinklings of clean electric guitar. I didn't like the drum machine and it's alternating pseudo-clap and fingersnap-click. That's when it all started to bug me a bit. It was reminding me of something....not a song, you understand, but a kind of mood or atmosphere that I don't really like. Then it hit me:

"Thank you for calling. Unfortunately all of our agents are busy. Please hold and your call will be held in priority queue for the next available representative."

*warm, soothing music plays, and plays, and plays, and plays, and plays, and...*
*customer seethes, and seethes, and sparks and smoulders, and grits teeth, and seethes some more*

And I just could not get that association out of my head. Holding pattern music. maddening, endless, circular, designed to be played on constant loop. It was nicely performed, though, as such things tend to be. Sorry for sounding so harsh; it really wasn't so bad, but I don't think I'd ever willingly listen to this.

Something not-so-far-off, really, but a little moodier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5v5rvlxYk8

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:31 pm 

Pierre Arvay - Blue Dawn

Instrumentally driven ambiance, with tinkling, atonal and oddly placed piano comes icily trickling into my headphones. The mood created is contemplative, and brings to mind a soundtrack to a cult film, and certainly wouldn't be out of place in a Kubrick film for mine. The strange underlying keyboards carry the bulk of this, though they are rather subtle, while the ivories and seemingly random electronic pinging chimes in from time to give some stark contrast. There is some slithery bass in there too, doing it's own thing - actually there is quite a lot going on underneath everything here, and I quite like the overall effect this has on the listener, it's soothing, but like Abom said, it's moody, and somewhat tense filled with hidden shadow (at least that's what I got from it). Interesting.

In keeping with the mood...

My collection

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:29 am 

Tree of Life - The Fountain Soundtrack (Clint Mansell)

Some nice moody atmospheric stuff, with hints at the sort of symphonics you might hear at an action flick. I love when those brooding Eastern melodies subtely come twisting in. I don't usually listen to soundtracks, but this is very well done. The ending is especially potent. All in all, this is great when you're in the mood for it. They really incorporated that whole epic symphonies thing in a way that actually managed to be subtle and tasteful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GviDJDD4g8M

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:55 pm 

@dystopia4

That video was probably listed that way because that's how the tracks are tagged on the CD version, but actually that whole soundtrack is a collaboration between Clint Mansell and Mogwai. Could be why it's a little more engaging than typical background music-ish soundtracks.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 pm 

The Rebel Spell: "Bring 'em In"

Hahaha, yeah! Loved it. Never heard of this band before today, but this is just killer ultra-fast punk with a lot of class and conviction. Vocals are a whole world better than one might expect; the music is driving and percussive yet subtly melodic. Kind of a Killing Joke vibe going on there, I think, especially because of the remorselessly pounding drums, but mixed with, perhaps, some of the more motorhead-infused hardcore stylings of recent times. No leads of any kind needed! The tune has a positive feeling to it despite the inherent punknacity. I imagine their gigs are really exciting. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GlC9GyF4Y

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 pm 

@iamntbatman
Oh, that's really cool. Did seem like more than your average background score music.

@Abom
Yeah, they're great live. Really high energy and fun. I also remember their drummer was very attractive.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 pm 

Elvis Costello- Allison

I guess one good thing about this thread is that I can say I've listened to a bunch of bands that I'm "meant" to and shit like that. Well, tick off Elvis, and here's hoping I never have to listen to him again. Hella boring ballad, reminds a lot of the yacht rock tv-show stuff - steely dan and the eagles mostly. Some nice little guitar licks but all up this is a really sleep inducing 70's ballad, bad accountant/dad rock vibes all round. It gets 2 points because it avoids becoming too earnest (Take it to the Limit by The Eagles, etc), and there's no strings, so, 2/10

Think I've posted these guys before, but whatevs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icncbS5dAHE

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 pm 

@ Caspian:

:lol: I don't know anything about accounting or accountants, but I do think Elvis C. has some good stuff. It was an old punk friend who showed me this guy's stuff and his discography is huge. Sometimes his voice annoys me but there are a few albums that I find really worthy and gladly keep around; this is one..I believe it's his first. Would it surprise you to know that I really like Steely Dan? hahahah

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

you heard of that yacht-rock tv show I mentioned, abominatrix? It's this super rad tv-show on youtube that parodies (but with a very good spirit, it's certainly not anti-yacht rock) stuff like Kenny Loggins, Mike McDonald and yeah, steely dan is in one episode. We're only talking five minute episodes.. well worth your time :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 am 

@ Caspian:
I hadn't! I did recently hear the term "yacht rock" for the first time, in connection with bands like Boston. I really like the Boston debut but the description really brought a grin to my face. I didn't realise it was a show! I'll definitely check it out. Not a fan of Kenny Loggins btw but Dire Straits is another one i can do sometimes. :)

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:51 am 

Holy Other - Feel Something

So this is really good laid back electronic stuff. It really reminds me of Clam Casino's Rainforest EP. Really lush atmospheres, good vocal samples which are sometimes twisted around a bit and just overall, this grabs onto a certain feeling and just delivers. The splashy snare sound is great in this. The video accompanying this is jets floating through clouds, which is pretty much the atmosphere this gives off. Great stuff, will look into more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm 

Steve Earle - Copperhead

Oh my, this is exactly the kind of country that I really, really, really dislike. Steve's got that annoying ass country drawl with no power or charisma, the guitars are this weak-sauce strumming with a stupid sounding melody. Not a good start. I hope this changes into something better.... nope this part is somehow even worse. Is this the solo section? Nothing makes sense anymore. Sorry Clam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQNAZGoZrw

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm 

Portishead - Wandering Star

I used to listen to these guys a fair bit around 7 years ago. Wandering Star has always been one of the stand out tracks on this album. Minimalistic and repetitive, dripping with despair. The vocalist is just damn good at what she's doing. However the song runs out of juice basically as soon as the final chorus is finished and remains boring until the end. This song depends on the melancholy in the singer's voice, so it's just not remotely interesting when the vocals stop. Catchy song nonetheless, but I prefer the second album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQH2Kq1QXaI

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 pm 

@foulchrist:
agreed. I seem to always check how long there is left to the track when she finishes singing, but I like some of the effects and vinyls scratches towards the end still. Also, Tame Impala rules.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 pm 

Not that it really matters, but for the record the song I posted was actually "Copperhead Road"

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:01 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Tame Impala - Apocalypse Dreams

Not sure how to write something positive about this. I may be showing my age here when I say that The Beatles (as well as others from that era) influence here is so glaring that I'm seeing everything in plaid, with lava lamp-like effects. There is a national radio station here in Oz (JJJ it's called...) that loves the SHIT out of stuff like this claiming it to be "ground breaking" and "must hear" and other such platitudes, but for me it's just over earnest indie/psychedelic rock garbage that grinds my gears, and makes me grit my teeth. The groovy bass is there in spades, as is the enormous amounts of extremely colourful, "trippy" synths that try to grab a hold of you and force down their oh so dreamy, colour saturated fun ride, all held up by the flat simplistic drumming. The vocals are very high pitched, and are spiced every so often with a delayed, reverb echo - for that extra authentic psychedelic feel. This ain't my thing, but it is well put together stuff (if you're into that), no matter how transparent the influences may be.

This was amazing live.

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next