Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:22 pm 

Quote:
Update: Yauch’s death was related to his cancer battle, according to a GlobalGrind blog posted by Russell Simmons, who signed the Beastie Boys to their first record deal at Def Jam.

“GlobalGrind is confirming this very sad news,” Simmons wrote. “One of our heroes, Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys has passed this morning after a long bout with cancer. Our prayers go out to the family of Adam and the entire Beastie Boys crew.”

Adam Yauch, better known as rapper MCA of hip-hop group Beastie Boys, has died at the age of 47, according to sources including TMZ and Rolling Stone.

While the cause of death remains unconfirmed, Yauch had been in treatment for cancer since 2009, when doctors discovered a tumor in his salivary gland. Concern over Yauch’s condition increased last month after he was unable to attend the Beastie Boys’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside bandmates Mike “Mike D” Diamond and Adam “Ad-Rock” Horowitz, with whom he formed the group in 1979.

The Brooklyn-born musician was a practicing Buddhist and a vegan who devoted much of his energies to the movement to free Tibet, co-organizing a series of Tibetan Freedom Concerts from 1996-2001. He also directed several films under the umbrella of his film production company, Oscilloscope Laboratories.

Yauch is survived by his wife, Dechen Wangdu, and daughter, Tenzin Losel Yauch.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/music/ ... hero_media

I'll be jamming to "Fight for you Right" today. Thanks for the great tunes man.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:49 pm 

I love early Beastie Boys. The punk stuff and first four releases are excellent. I'm pretty bummed about this news.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:50 pm 

RIP, I'm actually pretty bummed about this one.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:04 pm 

Sad, R.I.P.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 pm 

This completely deflated me when I heard today. I know it probably seems like I'm sucking up to him postmortem but he honestly probably was my favorite of the group (though to be fair MCA and Mike D were probably tied, Ad Rock annoyed me depending on the track) and it is a real blow to lose him, especially since I thought he was all recovered and they were getting ready on finishing that album they've been working on for like 8 years or something. Even worse is that this has to be the end of Beastie Boys too, all three of the guys are completely integral to their sound/identity.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:52 pm 

A sad day for anyone who grew up with hip hop. RIP

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 pm 

Really choked about this. Caught me by complete surprise, I didn't know he was battling cancer and 47 is way too young. Definitely one of my favourite hip hop groups, and I never had the chance to see them live. What a god damned respectable group. You don't see hip hop groups these days actually playing instruments, eh?

Rainbow Demon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:05 pm 

Damn, that really sucks.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:31 am 

This is bad news. The Beastie Boys used to be one of my favourite bands and I still like their music to this day.

NP: Body Movin'

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:15 am 

Sad news. R.I.P. This caught me by surprise, and he was very young to die, a i didn't know he was sick.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:48 am 

47 is too young. Sad stuff.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:48 am 

A sad day for the world of music.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:40 am 

This made me really sad when I heard about his death yesterday afternoon. I can't believe I passed up an opportunity to see them live in '07... RIP MCA.

What of the Beastie Boys? I haven't been able to find any official statements from Ad Rock or Mike D. I assume they're going to breakup. Are they ever going to release the Hot Sauce Committee Part 1?

DarkAvenger77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 pm 

Thats a bummer. Beastie Boys is one of my favorite non-metal bands. RIP MCA.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:32 pm 

Really sad news, just last year these guys were still owning the shit out of rap at age 45. RIP!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:15 pm 

Never liked Beastie Boys at all, but it's always depressing to see someone fight cancer and lose in their middle years. Totally fucked way to go.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:54 pm 

I had tears in my eyes when I heard the news last night. The Beasties were one of the very first bands that I ever chose for myself (and not through anyone else's recommendation), and from the day that I first heard them in 1986, I've kept them close.
They never released a bad album, and I saluted their stand in the Tibet issue (amongst others). MCA, of all three, was always the one that I thought had the most integrity.
Sadly missed, and taken waaaayyyy too young. My heartfelt condolences to his family and Ad Rock and Mike D.

To quote Anthrax's official press release for MCA: "Cancer, you're an asshole"

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:56 pm 

Just heard about this, fucken spewin. As a long time fan of the Beasties, this is one of those celebrity deaths that I actually give a shit about. MCA was my favourite in the group, loved the way his gruff voice "evened out" the nasally voices of Mike D and Ad Rock, and just seemed the most chilled out of the crew. RIP.

Oh yeah check out this sweet old school live performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC-gRQh_pFw

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:33 am 

Aurone wrote:
I'll be jamming to "Fight for you Right" today. Thanks for the great tunes man.

That sucks! 47 is way too young to die!
RIP.

willbrake77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm 

I was really, really sad upon hearing this news. I have been a fan of the Beastie Boys for as long as I can remember. Very tragic event...RIP :(

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:58 pm 

Damn, that sucks. But instead of being sad I think the appropriate response would be to bust out a bottle of brass monkey and celebrate his life.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 pm 

kale100 wrote:
Damn, that sucks. But instead of being sad I think the appropriate response would be to bust out a bottle of brass monkey and celebrate his life.

Exactly. I've been playing the Beasties more than I ever have. Mike D said that he and Ad Rock really appreciate all the love fans have been sending.

Reply to topic