Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am 
 

Do we have any birders in these parts, or anyone who just likes to casually observe them? It's a hobby I'm just getting into; I'd fall into the latter category, as I have neither the money nor the equipment to get truly serious about it; I only have a smartphone and an old (but nice) spotting scope, which is best for viewing things that are very, very distant. I'm surprised at how much fun it is. It's like a treasure hunt.

All right birders, let's hear your stories!
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2957
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 am 
 

Actually, I have a question instead: How can this be an expensive hobby? I would guess the money part would be for travel expenses to more remote places, so you aren't just looking at pigeons and seagulls in a city somewhere.

I collect Transformers and old video game consoles. You want expensive hobbies, I got two right here.

We did bird watching during a field trip in high school once. Our biology teacher was really cool about this kind of stuff. He was quick to anger in some circumstances, but overall a cool guy and took a liking to me after he saw a cartoon I drew of a dissected frog on my biology folder. What sparked your interest in this?
_________________
Game dev company I co-founded: From Nothing Game Studios

Top
 Profile  
demonomania
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:44 am
Posts: 145
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:59 am 
 

Now that I have a yard, I've been enjoying the variety of birds that hang out there. There is a huge crew of sparrows that lives in a canopy on the side of the house, and almost anywhere else they can build a nest. We put out bread for them every morning, so it is no surprise that they've decided to colonize. At night you can hear them snoring (?) if the house is quiet enough. Some crows also appear to have started nesting in the pine trees in the backyard, so I see them frequently too. We have a large contingent of mourning doves, cardinals, and yellow finches that appear to have nests somewhere in the backyard. I've also seen bluejays, catbirds, grackles, woodpeckers (fuck them), robins, some small-ass grey birds (maybe chimney swifts?) and the occasional hawk. The hawk sightings are pretty excellent, though with the crows moving in I doubt we'll be seeing them much anymore. My morning commute takes me by the Hudson River, and as I result I regularly see gulls, cranes, swallows, egrets, cormorants, and (very rarely) bald eagles doing their thing.

Fuck, seems like I'm into birds. Damn I'm getting old.
_________________
Your god will fail, and you will be DEAD.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4276
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 am 
 

I'd have to imagine the cameras you'd need to get the most out of this are pretty expensive.

No real experience here, but I grew up in a relatively rural part of southeast Wisconsin and we got orioles at our birdfeeder on a fairly regular basis. Beautiful coloring and I've never seen them during my time living in Iowa and Illinois. I am surprised how many cardinals I've seen in the Chicago area, though apparently they can thrive in urban settings too.
_________________
Luvers666 wrote:
Happiness is a subjective concept and I find hitting the gym and then going to a basketball court and practicing my ability to dunk more thrilling than EVERY SINGLE aspect of holidays.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 10684
Location: Tyrn Gorthad
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am 
 

It's actually sorta crazy how much I took for granted enjoying having a somewhat decent variety of birds around. All my life I lived in Maryland, so just the typical eastern U.S. sorts of birds, but even then it's a pretty decent variety and you'd see less common birds here and there that were really exciting, like a bunch of woodpeckers or a kingfisher or great blue herons or great horned owls.

Anyway, I say I took these birds for granted because Korea is shockingly lacking in birds. Now that I live in the southern part of the country I do see pigeons around the city center, and more crows and sparrows, but other than that the only birds I have seen with any regularity in this entire country have been the cranes that hang out in marshy areas (so, relatively uncommon) and the Korean magpies that are everywhere. In Cheonan it was so amazingly rare to see any sort of bird apart from Korean magpies that I'd always be blown away to see even a pigeon or sparrow there. Goes along with the general lack of wildlife country-wide.

Anyway if you ever find yourself in Taiwan, that country is just plain ridiculous for birdwatching. You've got your more standard types that are seen globally, plus some really beautiful ducks, Formosan magpies, swallows darting around, all sorts of pretty little songbirds, exotic birds of prey. The most startling bird encounter I had there by far was just walking through the park in the center of the city, with a decent number of people walking around, when I sat down to eat some lunch. Across the path were some bushes with grass around them at the base of some large trees, and I saw a great bittern just walking around not ten feet from me. I'd never seen one of these birds before in my life (to my knowledge). Apparently they're fairly common across Europe and Asia, but I had never seen one before and I found it really strange and fascinating to watch.
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
I've been punched in the face maybe 3 times in the past 6 months


GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2957
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:08 pm 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I'd have to imagine the cameras you'd need to get the most out of this are pretty expensive.

No real experience here, but I grew up in a relatively rural part of southeast Wisconsin and we got orioles at our birdfeeder on a fairly regular basis. Beautiful coloring and I've never seen them during my time living in Iowa and Illinois. I am surprised how many cardinals I've seen in the Chicago area, though apparently they can thrive in urban settings too.


My Dad lived in north-central Minnesota in a heavily wooded area. They used to have a bunch out there, now that I think about it. They had bird feeders and hummingbirds frequently. One year, they spotted something new at the bird feeder.

It was a bear.
_________________
Game dev company I co-founded: From Nothing Game Studios

Top
 Profile  
demonomania
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:44 am
Posts: 145
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:17 pm 
 

Oh shit, I forgot hummingbirds (really fascinating to see one buzzing around up close) and ducks.
_________________
Your god will fail, and you will be DEAD.

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:17 pm 
 

Loving these replies - thank you! I'm surprised to hear that there isn't much going on bird-wise in South Korea, iamntbatman. Maybe the crazy government up north scared most of them away? Enjoyed your story about Taiwan, though.

Resident_Hazard, besides the airfare, the equipment itself is really expensive, especially to someone like me. A good pair of binoculars is going to cost over 200 bucks. A good camera? I don't even know. I simply don't have the money for such things; traveling is right out.

I had some good luck today at the park. I saw a mallard, a muscovy duck, a juvenile duck (not sure if it's the offspring of the mallard and the muscovy, but they all stayed close together), many Canada geese, a Northern cardinal, a blue jay, and many mockingbirds. I even managed to get a picture of a mockingbird in flight, which was exciting. Not bad for a phone camera! I saw other birds besides these, but I don't know what they are yet.

What sparked my interest in this? I dunno. I loved drawing birds when I was a kid, but that was as far as my interest went, and it died away for a long time. My dad's really into birds, and so is my best friend, so that probably explains part of it. Mostly, though, is that I'm just interested in a lot of things, and I was bored, so I went outside to look at birds.
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 am
Posts: 2135
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:19 pm 
 

Awesome, I love birding :) fairly new to it though, so I'm pretty rusty a decent amount of my NA bird ID. Especially passerines (songbirds), ESPECIALLY birds of muted brown/black/yellow shades (fucking sparrows and warblers, ugh). I was able to take a class on avian biology in college, a lecture that covered comprehensive taxonomy, physiology, etc and a lab that covered identification by appearance and calls. I definitely suck at ID by song, it's hard to convince myself to listen to bird call mp3s when there's so much great metal out there. I'm a bit better with taxonomy.

I work on and off for my professor who is a huge authority on waterfowl biology, pretty much the top dog on the west coast I believe. I'm a field tech for his lab studying the breeding biology of wood ducks. Interesting birds that practice "conspecific brood parasitism", wherein the hens will sneak into other hens nest to lay eggs. Most duck will lay about 12-20ish eggs for their own nest, but with brood parasitism rampant, some hens end up incubating on nests of 40+ eggs (of which only 1/3ish would hatch)! The breeding season is underway right now, I've already banded a bunch of hens and even encountered a nest with about 55-60 eggs, the most I've ever seen. Lots of nests are hatching right now too, which means cute fuzzy ducklings to play with :D I have soooo many duckling photos on my phone from the past couple years, I'll try to post some sometime. The wood duck is fucking beautiful too, both drake and hen:

Spoiler: show
ImageImage


So yeah, I'm most familiar with marsh/riparian species: all varieties of the Anatidae family - waterfowl (wood ducks, northern pintails, gadwall, the 3 teal species, canada geese, greater white-fronted geese, snow geese, mute swan), the Pelecaniformes (American white pelican, egrets, herons, bitterns), Gruiformes (Sandhill cranes, rails, American coot), the wading birds of Charadriiformes (killdeer, plovers, sandpipers, curlews, dowitchers - also all a bitch to ID and distinguish), and the various birds of prey, doves, woodpeckers, corvids, songbirds and game birds that inevitability show up in marshland.

I can't remember anything off the top of my head as far as super rare things I've seen or crazy stories, but I'll post again if I can remember anything in particular and post some pictures I may have.
_________________
Varth wrote:
I am getting pissed thinking about all the dumbass fake punk my sister made me listen to

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 10684
Location: Tyrn Gorthad
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:27 am 
 

Thiestru wrote:
Loving these replies - thank you! I'm surprised to hear that there isn't much going on bird-wise in South Korea, iamntbatman. Maybe the crazy government up north scared most of them away? Enjoyed your story about Taiwan, though.


Nah, it's because the entire peninsula was utterly devastated by the Korean war, and in the ensuing poverty people clear-cut the entire country for firewood and building material. None of the forests here are older than the 1950's. So there's essentially no wildlife to speak of. I once saw a massive crowd of people standing around taking pictures and going "ohhhhh!!!" and when I got closer....they were looking at a squirrel. Then I realized it was the first wild animal I had seen in the country in like a year.

Supposedly the DMZ is actually some sort of crazy animal haven with all kinds of rare bird species, though, since it's the only thoroughly uninhabited place around.
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
I've been punched in the face maybe 3 times in the past 6 months


GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2957
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am 
 

Thiestru wrote:

Resident_Hazard, besides the airfare, the equipment itself is really expensive, especially to someone like me. A good pair of binoculars is going to cost over 200 bucks. A good camera? I don't even know. I simply don't have the money for such things; traveling is right out.



Pppff, I didn't even think of binoculars. Hilariously, the only binoculars I own came out of a cereal box when I was a kid, and they have the Darkwing Duck logo on them. I could look at birds through shitty binoculars emblazoned with a logo of a crime fighting fowl.

Where I am, hawks and some other raptors are not entirely uncommon. Especially up north where the prairie gives way to hilly forests. The real stand-out I've seen was roughly a decade ago when we were out visiting some farm property my family owns in South Dakota. The buildings were all abandoned. My mom approached some old machine shed where the door had been left open and I shit you not, some kind of fucking vulture leaped out over her head, spread it's wings above her and flew off. It was the biggest bird I've ever seen in the wild. It had made a nest inside the machine shed. But it was huge.

I think it was this beastie: A turkey vulture. The wingspan sounds about right as it made my mom look like a prey animal. That was the first time I realized there were any vultures in the Midwest.
_________________
Game dev company I co-founded: From Nothing Game Studios

Top
 Profile  
Luvers666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 55
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:55 am 
 

I suppose by "birding" you mean the viewing of different birds in the wild that you are personally at. I think it is much cheaper to just view them online, as part of groups devoted to it.

I love birds, they are my favorite companion in life. I share my home with birds, most of which have been here for many years. For instance...

Junior, my African Grey, is 17 and I have had him since he was 4 months old.
Isabella, my Catalina Macaw, is 22 and I've had since she was 4 weeks old.

Top
 Profile  
demonomania
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:44 am
Posts: 145
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:38 pm 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
I suppose by "birding" you mean the viewing of different birds in the wild that you are personally at. I think it is much cheaper to just view them online, as part of groups devoted to it.


Why didn't I think of that? I have now seen i) a pterodactyl, ii) a roc iii) a phoenix iv) Mothman v) Big Bird vi) a Mighty Duck vii) the thunderbird viii) Quetzalcoatl ix) the rooster from Corn Flakes and x) a dodo.
_________________
Your god will fail, and you will be DEAD.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4276
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 pm 
 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

Resident_Hazard, besides the airfare, the equipment itself is really expensive, especially to someone like me. A good pair of binoculars is going to cost over 200 bucks. A good camera? I don't even know. I simply don't have the money for such things; traveling is right out.



Pppff, I didn't even think of binoculars. Hilariously, the only binoculars I own came out of a cereal box when I was a kid, and they have the Darkwing Duck logo on them. I could look at birds through shitty binoculars emblazoned with a logo of a crime fighting fowl.

Where I am, hawks and some other raptors are not entirely uncommon. Especially up north where the prairie gives way to hilly forests. The real stand-out I've seen was roughly a decade ago when we were out visiting some farm property my family owns in South Dakota. The buildings were all abandoned. My mom approached some old machine shed where the door had been left open and I shit you not, some kind of fucking vulture leaped out over her head, spread it's wings above her and flew off. It was the biggest bird I've ever seen in the wild. It had made a nest inside the machine shed. But it was huge.

I think it was this beastie: A turkey vulture. The wingspan sounds about right as it made my mom look like a prey animal. That was the first time I realized there were any vultures in the Midwest.


Turkey vultures were all over the place where I grew up (lots of open farm fields for them to hunt). At one point my friends and I were hiking and walked onto this sandy beach area near a lake to lay down for a bit - after ten minutes some turkey vultures started circling and they gradually got closer for the thirty minutes or so we were there.
_________________
Luvers666 wrote:
Happiness is a subjective concept and I find hitting the gym and then going to a basketball court and practicing my ability to dunk more thrilling than EVERY SINGLE aspect of holidays.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 pm 
 

demonomania wrote:
Luvers666 wrote:
I suppose by "birding" you mean the viewing of different birds in the wild that you are personally at. I think it is much cheaper to just view them online, as part of groups devoted to it.


Why didn't I think of that? I have now seen i) a pterodactyl, ii) a roc iii) a phoenix iv) Mothman v) Big Bird vi) a Mighty Duck vii) the thunderbird viii) Quetzalcoatl ix) the rooster from Corn Flakes and x) a dodo.


:lol: Yeah, it would be like watching videos of concerts instead of attending them personally.
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 pm 
 

I love birds and I'm pretty lucky living in Northern Ontario as I am able to not even bat an eye when I see an eagle now or something like a kestrel or broad shouldered hawk. What I have been very lucky in seeing here are a handful of owls such as 2 sightings of snowy owls and 3 or 4 sightings of Great Grey owls. I have also been lucky enough to have a Barred owl fly overtop of me while camping once on a lake in the middle of the bush. My favourite bird encounters are related to owls because they are my favourite type of bird but nonetheless they are always incredible experiences whenever I get to see them.

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 pm 
 

TikrasTamsusNaktis wrote:
I love birds and I'm pretty lucky living in Northern Ontario as I am able to not even bat an eye when I see an eagle now or something like a kestrel or broad shouldered hawk. What I have been very lucky in seeing here are a handful of owls such as 2 sightings of snowy owls and 3 or 4 sightings of Great Grey owls. I have also been lucky enough to have a Barred owl fly overtop of me while camping once on a lake in the middle of the bush. My favourite bird encounters are related to owls because they are my favourite type of bird but nonetheless they are always incredible experiences whenever I get to see them.


I love everything about this reply. Owls are my favorite. I used to hear barred owls all the time at my old house in Grovetown, Georgia. I never saw one, though. I made up a bird in honor of them, and it's what I'd want to be reincarnated as: a Bard Owl. You know, an owl that sings and tells stories. That would rule. Anyway, I'd love to see a snowy owl, or really any kind of owl, and pretty much any kind of bird at all, since I'm so new to the hobby. Fun fact: if you go to eBird.com, I'm one of the top birders of Washington Parish, Louisiana. Not bad for only having a few days and a smartphone under my belt! Tomorrow I'm going to visit my dad, and he's going to lend me a good camera and some bird books; I expect to double my life list (currently at 11 species) by Wednesday, and in any case, I'll get to see my wonderful Golden Retriever, Biscuit. Should be a great time.
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 10684
Location: Tyrn Gorthad
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 pm 
 

It'd be super awesome to see a snowy owl in the wild, definitely. I think the only wild owls I've seen are Great Horned Owls and Screech Owls.
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
I've been punched in the face maybe 3 times in the past 6 months


GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2957
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:08 am 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Turkey vultures were all over the place where I grew up (lots of open farm fields for them to hunt). At one point my friends and I were hiking and walked onto this sandy beach area near a lake to lay down for a bit - after ten minutes some turkey vultures started circling and they gradually got closer for the thirty minutes or so we were there.


Ha ha, sounds like they were seeing if you were on the menu.
_________________
Game dev company I co-founded: From Nothing Game Studios

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:59 pm 
 

I got a really nice camera from my dad today, and I'm putting it to very good use. One exciting thing is that I no longer have to try to sneak up on skittish turtles to get a good picture of them, and this also applies to birds and wildlife in general. This is because it has a 500 mm zoom, which is far from the closest zoom out there, but still far, far better from what I was using before (a smart phone).
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6584
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 am 
 

I'm kinda into this, not too obsessed with it but seeing a big ass bird is a cool thing. Any decent sized animal in its' natural habitat is great to watch really. Anyway, A lot of ridiculously huge wedge tailed eagles near the processing plant where I work at, and once in a while you get a story of a wedge tail going through a truck windscreen and proceeding to wreak absolute havoc to the driver/the interior/everything. Very cool animals which often tend to nest in a hut near the top of the mill, which is great. Huge animals. Finally, a lot of albatrosses (?) on the south coast when I go for a surf- you just see them hovering around pretty much constantly, chasing schools of fish and whatnot. A fantastic bird, but you tend to get nervy when there's a lot of them, and a lot of gulls around- if there's a lot of small fish around, often there's some far bigger, toothier ones chasing them somewhere.
_________________
https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/ post rock- for fans of Hammock, This Will Destroy You, Landing etc. Name your price download of EP, and a few cds still left :)

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 am 
 

That's really cool! I'd love to see an eagle; I'm partial to birds of prey in general. That's kind of weird, since I hate seeing animals killing other animals, and I'm conflicted about my being an omnivore. But I guess that's silly.

Anyway, I got some good pictures of an Eastern Bluebird today, as well as two Brown Thrashers, some irritated Canada Geese, some domesticated mallards, a mallard duckling, a Great-crested Flycatcher, and... that's about it. I got a ton more yesterday, but I don't feel like typing them all out right now. Really a great two days.
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
conquer__all
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 413
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 pm 
 

Here in PA we are blessed with tons of different bird species. I love drinking my coffee on a Saturday morning while watching all the birds come to my feeder. Cardinals, blue jays, and starlings mainly. I even have a pack of squirrels who love to hang upside down and feast out of my feeder.
_________________
CHAOS REIGNS!!!

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
 

What part of PA do you live in? I lived in Mechanicsburg as a kid; I loved it there. Awesome that you are blessed with all those birds.

Yesterday I saw a swallow-tailed kite and a bunch of barn swallows. These are such exciting times!
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 3683
Location: The Irespan
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 pm 
 

I'm a carpenter, and I could make bird houses or nesting platforms for anyone who's interested. I'd be willing to do the work for free if you'll pay the shipping. Habitats for Birdmanity!


demonomania wrote:
Luvers666 wrote:
I suppose by "birding" you mean the viewing of different birds in the wild that you are personally at. I think it is much cheaper to just view them online, as part of groups devoted to it.


Why didn't I think of that? I have now seen i) a pterodactyl, ii) a roc iii) a phoenix iv) Mothman v) Big Bird vi) a Mighty Duck vii) the thunderbird viii) Quetzalcoatl ix) the rooster from Corn Flakes and x) a dodo.

Dude, me, too! Also, I saw Howard the Duck, Condor Man, a bald eagle nest through a planted camera, and if you count watching all the Planet Earth episodes, I've seen dozens of rare bird species. Didn't even have to leave home. I'm very experienced.

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1727
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 am 
 

Yeah, ok, knock it off. The point has been made.

That's an awesome offer, Grave_Wyrm! If I didn't live in an apartment, I might take you up on it.

Today marks identifying 40 different species of bird in the last two weeks. Today I got pictures of a grey catbird, an eastern kingbird, an orchard oriole, and a brown thrasher. This was part of the fallout of a thunderstorm. Exciting times!
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
demonomania
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:44 am
Posts: 145
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:45 pm 
 

Thiestru wrote:
...and a brown thrasher...


That's racist.
_________________
Your god will fail, and you will be DEAD.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AcidWorm and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group