Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 am 

Yeah, I guess you're right. I've only worked in smallish warehouses so I dunno. I wouldn't wanna work inna larger more "proper" warehouse. Seems like too much. Too each his own though.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 pm 

Actually in my experience the smaller warehouses are the only ones I've run into dress code problems with. I worked for Ingersoll-Rand briefly and there was no issue, UPS, my current job, is one of the biggest companies maybe on the planet and they could give a fuck less what I look like (I just can't ever get promoted!) Dillard's warehouse was the same way, and I did see customers there. It's the smaller companies where the vice-president of the company might see you personally or something and terminate you, or just alter the employee handbook whenever due to individual circumstances. I would've thought the opposite too about small vs. big companies if I hadn't had all these different experiences.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

thelynxeffect91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm 

have you tried looking at Giger? his stuff is hot. when i get enough money on the go im going to get a biomechanical backbone (obv on my back bone) in his style

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:04 pm 

toto_death wrote:
Tattoo enthusiast artist feel free to post pictures.
Been searching constantly for designs that would complete my backpiece,,,inspired or similar to Moyen and Riddick artworks or dark concept,,mine is greywash..so if any of you have any recommendations,,it is very much appreciated...thanks all the same

Holy shit! This photo is more than 7 years old!

I got this Sepultura logo tattoo when I was like 19-20.
I'm now trying to get a good design to get and octopus on my left shoulder-arm-chest-back-neck area.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm 

Quote:
While I'm cool with tattoos, I would not hire anyone with highly visible tattoos to any position in my team. It's not about my opinions, it's about the customers and higher-ups. And the first impression it makes.

first, I hate you all. Because of a skin condition and meds that makes my skin thin out, I am unable to get my tattoos finished (including 2 full leg pieces) or get anymore in the foreseeable future.

As for jobs, a lot of times it's not the company itself, it's the fact that they're afraid of the impression their customers/clients will get, because some people just do hate tattoos. Regardless, I see a lot more tattoos everywhere these days. Not just the gas station and Walmart, but I mean last time I was in the hospital my phlebotomist had tattoos all over her arms, which surprised me.

I got a physical from a different doctor last month, older fellow. I was wearing a paper gown and my tattoos were all visible. He made a joke about how big a business the tattoo-removal industry is. I was glad he was making jokes instead of being a dick (mine are mostly horror-themed or pentagrams and things). That being said, i would never even think of having any removed.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I'm now trying to get a god design

That's cool, just make sure he's the wrathful, bearded old testament god. The new one's a bit of a pussy.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 am 

What's your guys' opinion on band logos as tattoos?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 am 

Markov wrote:
If you really like the band then I think it is legit, go for it.

I'm looking to get the Powerslave Eddie tatted on my right calf. My favourite album and artwork by Iron Maiden, but it'll be costing a boatload.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 am 

I think it's always retarded.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:20 am 

Markov wrote:

Just the band logo would be kind of tackey. But if it were more like a symbol or a piece of their art then yes. Like getting the Black Flag bars or the Type O circle with the negative sign it it I think that's cool but just getting a logo. Why don't you just buy a patch?
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 pm 

This is my calve:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:14 pm 

Expedience wrote:
That's cool, just make sure he's the wrathful, bearded old testament god. The new one's a bit of a pussy.

LOL! Oops... my fault.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 pm 

Markov wrote:

Tastes change. I think its generally a bad idea. I'd have some pretty fucking stupid tattoos if I got them for every band I was obsessed with. I mean if you've loved the band for a long time and you really connect personally to it then maybe, but I don't think I would. That said, I think a Cobalt tattoo would look awesome.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 pm 

I seem to be failing to understand the difference between tatting a band name as an unacceptable/in poor taste tattoo, while tatting the artwork/symbol/mascot of a band is in better taste. What's the difference and why would it matter so much?

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 am 

Personally, I'm getting a Dissection logo with "Into Infinite Obscurity" under it with some sort of hourglass design. I've loved Dissection since I was about 8, and they were one of the original gateway bands for me. Also, Storm of The Light's Bane and The Somberlain inspire/influence my music to this day. I figured other than buying their records, some other form of Devotion is also acceptable.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 pm 

Well I've found out since I got mine that it doesn't matter what tattoo design you get, someone out there will think they are better than you because of it. If you worry about what every faggot on the internet thinks is acceptable, you're not left with a whole lot to work with as far as a cool design.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:57 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Well I've found out since I got mine that it doesn't matter what tattoo design you get, someone out there will think they are better than you because of it. If you worry about what every faggot on the internet thinks is acceptable, you're not left with a whole lot to work with as far as a cool design.

Quoted for truth. I think you should just get whatever you want tattooed on you. I have 2 band tattoos, and even though I listen to one less than I did when I got it, I don't regret it. Same with anything else, each has a history and tells me where I was at some point in time (what was on my mind, what I was listening to, etc). With ANY tattoo, you should ask yourself if you'd regret it later, that should go without saying. It annoys the fuck out of me when people get all high and mighty and say "You'll regret that when you're old," though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm 

I've definitely never understood the "you'll regret it when you're *insert elderly age here*" argument. Why the fuck would I regret anything when I'm on the verge of death and all my skin is hanging off me? All my family is dead and probably most of my friends. You really think I'm going to be concerned with some blurry ink smudges on my skin? I'm going to have waaaaaay too many other deep-seated, emotionally crippling regrets to care about that bullshit.

That being said I don't have any tattoos hahahah

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 pm 

Well, I think that's just a snide remark a lot of people say to try to act like they are better/smarter than the person with the tattoos.

But yeah, when I'm 80, I imagine I will have more important concerns than some old tattoos.

Sure, there are people that regret tattoos, but I imagine they are the same people who didn't think enough about them in the first place before getting them. And personally, I just don't care enough about what I look like to be so vain that a smudgy old tattoo here and there would ruin my life. On that note, I also don't understand people who freak out about tiny scars. Like all the products that are advertised on TV to get rid of scars,and they show tiny little things on someone's arm. WTF. I can't imagine caring that much about something like that, it's not like a tiny arm-scar is disfiguring.

I also get a lot of people telling me that tattoos aren't "feminine" so women shouldn't have them, but that's another argument. My tattoos aren't very girly, for sure, but still, wtf. If you don't like tattoos, don't get them. I'm just not down with the idea of telling other people what they can and cannot do with their own body.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've definitely never understood the "you'll regret it when you're *insert elderly age here*" argument. Why the fuck would I regret anything when I'm on the verge of death and all my skin is hanging off me?

circleofdestruction wrote:
But yeah, when I'm 80, I imagine I will have more important concerns than some old tattoos... I'm just not down with the idea of telling other people what they can and cannot do with their own body.

Now now... Just in case you people are in some way or another even partially replying to my criticism on tattoos, I just need to point something out: of course you won't regret a tattoo when you're 80, dying, or whatever. It's likely the nurses will find it amusingly rustic when changing your diapers, that's all. But you might regret it when you're, say, 40, and if you realize that it might have cost you a job you might have gotten weren't it for the tattoo on your neck, face, or knuckles. I don't mind tattoos, but I mind them in two cases:
1) They are visible enough to bother my most conservative customers, or
2) They have designs or they have been positioned in a way that shows extremely bad judgement.

That's just the way it works, people, and those hiring people do not only have the power to rule you out based on a tattoo, they are also responsible for hiring people with the right and extremely subjective characteristics. And while they (or Napero) aren't going to tell you what to do with your own bodies, you're sure as fuck not going to tell them what to use as their criteria on hiring. It goes both ways, don't complain about it if you get something silly on your skin. An Eddie on your calf is certainly not a problem, but the constellation of Orion on your face drawn with pentagrams or "F U C K" on your knuckles is. The 50 buck tattoo you got while drunk in Denmark might cost you a job you wanted one day, and the chances are you don't even realize it at that time. This might seem as something awfully middle-class and disgustingly conformist while you're in high school, but it won't seem like that when you need money for the car to get your second kid to day care 15 years later.

That said, I'd still love to have some sort of international organ donor card tattooed somewhere. Unfortunately, such a thing does not exist.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 pm 

I don't think I've read anything in this thread except the post right above mine, which I was responding to, and now yours.

I'm very much aware that even though they're very mainstream these days a visible tattoo will still completely fuck you at a job interview. If I was wealthy I'd probably have a few, I like inner-forearm tattoos. Wouldn't mind getting that Manilla Road insignia that's inside Open the Gates, with the three headed dragon thing wrapped around the sword-in-stone. But alas, someday I may have to interview for a real job and I don't want to wear long sleeves every day.

I was considering getting a sacrificial scene on my outer thigh at one point. Well, pre-sacrificial I guess. Like 7 hooded priests standing around a young lass passed out on a slab stone. Holding chalices and daggers. The viewpoint would be over the backs of the also-robed and hooded congregation. Everyone would hate it but with that location it would be for just me alone. I just refuse to commit and start saving money for it though.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm 

Yeah, I wasn't replying to Napero either, just the very common phenomenon of people saying "you're going to regret that when you get old/fat/pregnant (this last bothers me especially, since I have no plans of procreating)."

Quote:
But you might regret it when you're, say, 40,

Yeah. people are getting tattoos very young these days, and in visible places. which even shocks me a bit (and I have maybe 30% coverage). That's what I meant by thinking things through before getting them. I'm close enough to 40 that I think I can safely say I won't have job related regrets involving tattoos, personally, but all mine can be covered with normal shirt and pants.

I agree, though, that people bitching about not getting hired because they have, for example. facial tattoos, are morons. That's something you do need to think about before getting them. I think if you have visible tattoos, you need to either get them AFTER finding a career, or realize that they may impact things, or get so damned many skills that companies can't live without you. Otherwise, your options being in a band mainstream enough to make loads of cash,or being a tattoo artist... I'd have to be extremely independently wealthy to consider even forearm tattoos, I think, and I normally wear long sleeves anyway.

Wheeler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

This, along with the Sublime sun on my calf

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:32 am 

Below is my first and so far only tattoo; It's a design I spent years thinking about, and finally felt comfortable enough with to have the tattoo done. It's design has several meanings to me, not least I feel that it's an anchor, a gathering-point, to remind me that no matter what happens, I'm still me. I've been thinking of getting it made a little more intricate in places, but I'm planning on spending a seriously long time thinking of any refinements.

Photo is somewhat massively larger resolution than I thaught, so spoiler tags have been deployed.

Spoiler: show
Attachment:
Tattoo.jpg

kevin59
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 am 

Over texting will not look good, it is better to select only few lines as tattoo. As you told that both shoulder are already filled then it will be good make tattoo on shoulder blade.
skin candy ink

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:45 pm 

So much for my plan to have the entire ars goetia on my back. :(

controlalldelete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:58 am 

I have a dude hanging off a cross on my chest. Supposed to be a "dont wanna hang on your cross" kinda thing. Everyone thinks its someone getting lynched..

oops

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm 

Mine is simple, is a guitar with a tribal.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... C00250.jpg

LeMetalNoire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 am 

I don't have a tattoo yet but I'm in the process of designing it. That's the only way I'm going to get a tattoo if it's my own work. I want something with a skull but I think I'm going to incorporate a grim reaper, since I have a fascination with them. I plan on getting it on the side of my upper thigh. I would love to get it this summer X.x

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:41 am 

Too young to get a tattoo now, but I plan to get a few. Also, am I the only one that thinks the cover of Surtur Rising would make a fucking awesome full back piece? Of course you would need a very skilled artist.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 pm 

I'm looking for ideas of a nice islamic geometric designs (preferably with lines as opposed to shapes and not writing or words). Anyone know any good repositories of such designs?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:58 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I'm looking for ideas of a nice islamic geometric designs (preferably with lines as opposed to shapes and not writing or words). Anyone know any good repositories of such designs?

Saudi Arabia. They'd whip one up for you in no time.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:11 pm 

I just got my first two tattoos yesterday, I hope to get some pics up soon.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:12 pm 

Yeah, I wasn't replying to Napero either, just the very common phenomenon of people saying "you're going to regret that when you get old/fat/pregnant (this last bothers me especially, since I have no plans of procreating)."

Quote:
But you might regret it when you're, say, 40,

Yeah. people are getting tattoos very young these days, and in visible places. which even shocks me a bit (and I have maybe 30% coverage). That's what I meant by thinking things through before getting them. I'm close enough to 40 that I think I can safely say I won't have job related regrets involving tattoos, personally, but all mine can be covered with normal shirt and pants.

I only have a single, rather small tattoo on my ankle but I agree 100%. God knows I've known way too many people with tribal face tattoos in the early twenties complaining about how they recently got fired from their part time job as a mechanic. I wouldn't at all mind getting a nicer one done, as long as it can be covered up(not necessarily for work but because my mother is the only person that scares the living hell out of me...).

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:16 pm 

None

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:01 pm 

iAm wrote:
I only have a single, rather small tattoo on my ankle but I agree 100%. God knows I've known way too many people with tribal face tattoos in the early twenties complaining about how they recently got fired from their part time job as a mechanic. I wouldn't at all mind getting a nicer one done, as long as it can be covered up(not necessarily for work but because my mother is the only person that scares the living hell out of me...).

Yeah, i'm not going to act old and miserly and say, "Back in my day, tattoos actually meant something, " because that's bullshit, too. And I don't give a fuck about why anyone gets a tattoo, or what's in the tattoo (which is why it irks me when people say "you shouldn't get band tattoos," etc., because the person can do that if s/he wants.)

But still, I think you have to be dumb to ignore all real-world consequences of getting tattoos all over your fucking face. Sure, skills for the job should matter more (if you have any), but even if that will change, it won't change overnight, and many companies will tell such people to fuck off rather than hiring them. That's why most of the people who have facial tattoos and actually are gainfully employed work in the tattoo industry: because that's one of the places you can actually get away with it.

As for mothers, haha. I'm in my 30s and my mom sure as hell hasn't seen/doesn't know about most of my tattoos. In her words, only "trashy" people get tattoos. She also has a serious problem with women getting "unfeminine" tattoos, and I imagine that some of the rotten corpses on me might be deemed "unfeminine."

EELOY
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 pm 

Seriously considering this tattoo, although i might not have the letters :S
Any opinions?
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 5fe8/l.jpg

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:06 am 

As for mothers, haha. I'm in my 30s and my mom sure as hell hasn't seen/doesn't know about most of my tattoos. In her words, only "trashy" people get tattoos. She also has a serious problem with women getting "unfeminine" tattoos, and I imagine that some of the rotten corpses on me might be deemed "unfeminine."

Being the good Catholic military brat that she is, she'd flip her shit if she ever saw a pagan rune on me. :lol:

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 am 

iAm wrote:
Being the good Catholic military brat that she is, she'd flip her shit if she ever saw a pagan rune on me. :lol:

My mom's recently gone from Catholic to practicing Catholic, haha. I don't think she knows I have any pentagrams or inverted crosses on myself. I just don't see the point in even bothering, some people will always make a stink and freak out about such things, so I just avoid the conflict altogether. This is one reason I refuse to go on any vacations/outings with certain relatives that involve swimming or even boating. The rest of the time, I can get away with wearing long pants.

EELOY wrote:
Seriously considering this tattoo, although i might not have the letters :S
Any opinions?

Pic does not work for me.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:23 am 

iAm wrote:

My mom's recently gone from Catholic to practicing Catholic, haha. I don't think she knows I have any pentagrams or inverted crosses on myself. I just don't see the point in even bothering, some people will always make a stink and freak out about such things, so I just avoid the conflict altogether. This is one reason I refuse to go on any vacations/outings with certain relatives that involve swimming or even boating. The rest of the time, I can get away with wearing long pants.

Oddly enough, my aunt asked me about "the tattoo of a weird symbol I have on my leg" and a good conversation of Norse mythology came from it.
Never saw that one coming; I don't even know how she found out but she described it accurately enough.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next