Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:45 am 

Why is it that you lot love synthwave but majority don't even listen to EBM or Aggrotech. Most metalheads know about Perturbator but not :wumpscut: tho I think Perturbator sucks in comparison

~Guest 1452000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:07 am 

Synthwave is mainstream stuff, that's probably why :lol: I understand not liking Perturbator but if you actually think he sucks as a musician... that's a yikes from me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:01 pm 

Because synthwave is better :p

I do like Dawn of Ashes, does that count

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:15 am 

^ It does count, but what? Synthwave is not better, it trails close enough. I thought the metal population would be all over outfits like Orbicide, bm vocals over dark synths, and industrial beats. Synthwave and retrowave ain't touching that.

Also if Synthwave is better, lots of modern ebm borrows from europop and eurobeat, i.e. Bodycall and V2A. Which makes it a natural fit into the listeners of synthwave's playlist. Some serious melodies that would put even darksynth to shame

https://youtu.be/NVHH1BcOP4c

https://youtu.be/UGyqlyRbmSU

And also, not that Perturbator sucks as a musician, but I find much of his releases stale in comparison to this.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:18 am 

Because 80s synths and style are very distinct which sounds awesome draws a lot of nostalgia. Especially with the recent popularity of new shows like Stranger Things which is overloaded with throwbacks from that decade. For the ultimate example, look no further than the music video for Quixotic's "Highway Violence". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQeFiG050J0

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:43 pm 

The best of synthwave instantly evokes the kind of emotions that I've found most music, electronic or otherwise, struggles to.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:09 pm 

There are some of us who don't love synthwave, but then we just aren't really interested enough to post about that. I tend to need my electronic music to be darker, or weirder and more in the industrial vein. Perturbator is dark enough of course, so just not weird/unusual enough for me I guess.

Some of my fav electronic albums to give an idea: Avotor - Looming / Amon Tobin - Foley Room / Falsewander - Begotten / Psychodrama - Orocline

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:46 am 

I've been a :wumpscut: fan for decades (since you've brought that particular artist out) and I love synthwave too. But a lot of EDM is dance floor oriented and gets repetitive to me. Something like Carpenter Brut is a lot more layered and adventurous.

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:15 am 

Sokaris wrote:
I've been a :wumpscut: fan for decades (since you've brought that particular artist out) and I love synthwave too. But a lot of EDM is dance floor oriented and gets repetitive to me. Something like Carpenter Brut is a lot more layered and adventurous.

Wow thrash metal wow. Eurobeat has never waned completely, matter of fact it birthed subgenres, yet very dancefloor oriented. What has thrash birthed that's not an infusion of an already existing genre, besides cusping death metal? That's not a very good argumentative point. I have never seen rap in whichever form losing popularity just because it's formulaic/repetitive. Btw there's EDM and EBM.

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:22 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Because 80s synths and style are very distinct which sounds awesome draws a lot of nostalgia. Especially with the recent popularity of new shows like Stranger Things which is overloaded with throwbacks from that decade. For the ultimate example, look no further than the music video for Quixotic's "Highway Violence". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQeFiG050J0

I guess nostalgia is big for a lot of guys, but still, aggrotech and harsh EBM have lots in common with metal than synthwave, for it to be so less appreciated. I do find that most of its listeners are rather people whose first priority is industrial or a related form of electronic music.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 am 

DeadKid wrote:
There are some of us who don't love synthwave, but then we just aren't really interested enough to post about that. I tend to need my electronic music to be darker, or weirder and more in the industrial vein. Perturbator is dark enough of course, so just not weird/unusual enough for me I guess.

Some of my fav electronic albums to give an idea: Avotor - Looming / Amon Tobin - Foley Room / Falsewander - Begotten / Psychodrama - Orocline

Bloody hell, I dont think I've seen anyone mention Avotor in around 20 years. That's a great album.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:50 am 

:wumpscut: has always been Metalhead-Approved Non-Metal. When aggrotech and EBM were at their peak popularity (late 90s-mid 2000s), they both had significant overlap with the metal scene for years before synthwave rolled around.

I think synthwave ultimately prevailed as the Metalhead-Approved Non-Metal electronic genre of choice because 1) it cashes in on the same 80s nostalgia that a lot of old metalheads eat up (it sits alongside pizza thrash/NWOBHM revival/OSDM worship in that regard); and 2) it's just catchier/more accessible, which will always get more fans than music that is abstruse and inaccessible, even for subcultures like metal that pretend to hate "poppy"-sounding things.

Reply to topic