Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am 

Make notes, Emp. Always. Make. Notes.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 am 

MikeyC wrote:
and it's colloquially known as "Steak and BJ Day". Kind of like the male version of Valentine's Day.

or as they call it in my line of work, Christmas!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmQ13ZF ... re=related Metallica's new song.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 am 

Not sure where else to put this, I saved this image ages ago and long since forgot who the hell the band is, I meant to check them out but have no idea who they are:

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Last edited by Pale_Pilgrim on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmQ13ZFMcA&feature=related Metallica's new song.

That wasn't remotely funny.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm 

Saw Hounds of Hate last night. Killer show awesome band! Check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3b0hq7mBfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k1cu6KF ... re=related

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Calusari wrote:
I hate to ask. In fact, I'm convinced I shouldn't. But, still; why do you think today is know as 'Steak and BJ day'?

March 14th is exactly one month after Valentine's Day, and it's colloquially known as "Steak and BJ Day". Kind of like the male version of Valentine's Day.

There's got to be a link out there somewhere for this.

Nah, it's in honor of my birthday, you fool! :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 pm 

My friend got sick and gave me a free ticket to a 'Wonder Years' gig last night, so I told him I would go. He told me on the phone that his buddy would drop the ticket off at my house on his way downtown, so I met the guy at the bus stop. We chatted for a bit, handed me the ticket, and mentioned that he didn't know where the closest bathroom was. We were still on campus, and it was about a 15 minute walk to the show. I didn't want to miss the second band on the bill 'Transit', and I was already way late for the opener so I show him the nearest bathroom in a campus building and tell him I'm gonna run, and say bye.

What my friend didn't tell me is that the guy I abandoned in the washroom was ALSO going to the gig, so when I see him walk in about 10 minutes after i get there, I hide in the crowd until I work up the courage to shamefully say hi... again... :lol:

My stupidity cost me a couple of beers and McDonalds after the gig to buy his forgiveness.

Aside from that the show was great, I have a soft spot for pop-punk shows, although they never seem to sound quite so good on the album. We both had a good time, although I still feel like a tool.

Anyone else into this kind of shit? I am actually a Taking Back Sunday fan, as un-troo as it is ;)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 pm 

I read that story of yours twice, Peach, and I still dont' really understand why you feel "like a tool". Gosh, there's somethign wrong with me...

And now, time for an "abom has been living under a rock" moment
Incubus Serpent Temptation. Holy fuck...where you have been for me all these years?!?!?!?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:45 pm 

Maybe I just suck a communicating :P I ditched some guy in a washroom, to go to a show that he thought we were going to together.

Also, I don't understand the hate for new Amoral.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 pm 

Ah, I get it now. :P Doesn't seem like it was your fault anyway, since the guy never even mentioned he was going, apparently!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:09 pm 

I'm on twitter now, I'm cool and totally pertinent. Anybody here is on there?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm 

I'm not pithy enough for Twitter. :(

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm 

I have one @Yogthsothoth, but I never say anything funny or relevant. I have a really hard time being entertaining within a character limit. That shit drives me crazy. I mostly use it just to follow various comedians and other entertaining people. Its good to kill a few minutes on my phone when I'm stuck somewhere bored.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

I feel like if I had Twitter, the sheer awesome that I would post on a daily basis would be too much for people to handle. They would probably go insane and murder their families.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:27 pm 

I got a livejournal years ago and used to write many long-winded paragraphs of exposition on all sorts of things. Then I got a facebook because "all my friends had one" and I wanted to get invited to all the cool parties and find out which girls were going to what events so I could show up too, or avoid showing up, depending on the circumstances. I stopped writing anything meaningful other than "hmm, this band rules" or "gah, this person annoys me", but the parties were pretty good. Now, what's so great about twitter? Why would I want to have one? I think that is sort of a rhetorical question but yeah, I too don't see the point in saying anything if you only have a hundred characters or so to say it in, though I have been learning the value of concise prose. Also, it just seems like more than its worth..yet another thing to register with and follow, just because. No thanks.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:30 pm 

I never saw the point in twitter personally, although I know I will kind of need one if I want to keep truly up to date on the latest news reports and what not...it's a useful tool for more professional networking. But eh, haven't gotten around to having one yet aside from one specifically for my blog.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I never saw the point in twitter personally, although I know I will kind of need one if I want to keep truly up to date on the latest news reports and what not...it's a useful tool for more professional networking. But eh, haven't gotten around to having one yet aside from one specifically for my blog.

Yeah, I know a lot of professional people do use it; my journalist friend was recently commenting on that. But, aside from "cool deal"/"big fight"/"huge traffic piluep" @ so-and-so, I don't really see anything of actual news value being posted...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm 

I think most people have one because its just the "next thing" you do after giving up on facebook. I personally always avoided it because I thought I was "too cool" for that shit, until I found out all my favorite comedians were on there being great and also announcing where/when they're going to be gigging next. A lot of bands could be using it the same way but I've never checked to see if the metal community has embraced it as a method of dissemination yet.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm 

I don't really know Abom, I was bored and made one. It seems cool, I wanted to do one for MA, but Hellblazer is too cool to agree!
@Jonpo, your name has a typo in it!

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm 

Twitter gives you the impression that you have something important to say and that people are anxious of hearing what important things you have to say, and as we all can guess most of the time it will be pointless, inane and meaningless shit.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:41 pm 

Jonpo, I did listen to that Wizar'd stuff last night after practice..about half of Pathways into Darkness that is! It's even better than I remembered! What a cool sound. How'd they get so good? NOt that the old stuff seemed bad exactly but, well, as you were saying above, it's pretty different. The song "Rainbow's End" is fantastic...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:43 pm 

cahuich wrote:
Twitter gives you the impression that you have something important to say and that people are anxious of hearing what important things you have to say, and as we all can guess most of the time it will be pointless, inane and meaningless shit.

Same thing with Facebook. Any medium that allows people to post about the bullshit they think is worth posting for a large amount of people to see just shows how uninteresting people are in general.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:52 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
@Jonpo, your name has a typo in it!

Hahaha I fucking DESPISE the handle "Jonpo" I just threw it in the registration field expecting never to post here...7 thousand posts later...

All my friends (and even some family) have been calling me Jono (pronounced john-o) since like 7th grade. I originally hated that too but now I get really uncomfortable when someone says the whole thing. I'm like who the fuck is Jonathan? That's too many syllables!

I tried to tweet at you about how amazing your profile picture is. I have no idea if it worked or not though, I've never done that really.

Abominatrix wrote:
Jonpo, I did listen to that Wizar'd stuff last night after practice..about half of Pathways into Darkness that is! It's even better than I remembered! What a cool sound. How'd they get so good? NOt that the old stuff seemed bad exactly but, well, as you were saying above, it's pretty different. The song "Rainbow's End" is fantastic...

Hahaha tell these fools! I've been trying to let people know. Its not even the same band anymore. I LOVE that he found his voice. The way I keep explaining it is he doesn't sound like the leader of a cult, he sounds like the sniveling second-in-command that has some kind of clandestine plot to overthrow the leader. Rainbow's End is killer. I love Disease from the East too. Actually that 1-2-3 opener is REALLY strong and sets the tone for a fantastic album. I'd be curious to hear your opinion on Frankie's Dungeon. I still can't quite figure out what the lyrics are about, but its a really awesome desolate tale. It's almost completely vocal driven though, which made me hate it the first few spins. Now I look forward to it every time.

I think the band was started as a musical outlet for a bored stoner who loves doom, and then he slowly realized he wanted to make some music with an impact. I'm very interested to see what's next, if anything. Oh and they have an adorable female bass player now who's stage name is Tangerine Dream. How fucking cute is that?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Any medium that allows people to post about the bullshit they think is worth posting for a large amount of people to see just shows how uninteresting people are in general.

Let's not think about that statement too hard.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm 

I can see what you're getting at, but this site is a community in which people have actual common interests and interesting things to discuss pertaining to these interests. It focuses much less on the individual.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:03 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I can see what you're getting at, but this site is a community in which people have actual common interests and interesting things to discuss pertaining to these interests. It focuses much less on the individual.

Well, but wait..most people only subscribe to the feeds of people whose musings and happenings they are interested in, right...so the difference is not really that significant. Over half the people on my facebook list thing are people I actually know in person, too, so there is, perhaps, an even greater connection.

Jonpo, the evil henchmen, yeah! I remember you telling me that when you were trying to get me to listen to the album. He has a weird nasal voice all right. I actually love the sound of the guitars and drums...very warm and live..could be from the 70s. Tangerine Dream from Tasmania! That's cute all right!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm 

That is you, the intelligent Facebook user. Most people aren't like that. I'm referring to the person that has over 3000 ''friends'' half of which are teenage girls (most of which he's never actually met) who's statuses are things like ''Lol at work ;)'' or ''Oh my God guys we totally have to stop tony, he has baby slaves!!!!!''

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm 

Yeah I was just going to say I think you guys may be misinterpreting or over thinking this whole twitter thing. You're in complete control of who you get updates from. I don't have a single person on my list that posts any stupid psuedo-deep bullshit. Its mostly just quips and silly musings about their day-to-day, and like I said updates on who's going to be performing where and when.

Abominatrix: Yeah, the sound in general was a pretty big step for them as well. The older stuff was just completely drugged out and oppressive. You could tell he finally wrote some music he was genuinely proud of on this one though. Gotta let it shine with that old vintage sound!

edit: Necroticism confirmed as a supporter of enslaving babies. You're on a government list somewhere now buddy!

Last edited by Jonpo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:13 pm 

Metantoine has baby slaves???
Necro, did you just make that up?

I do have one or two people leaving statuses like that. And lots of photos, which are of no use to me. And way too many links, some of which are cool but most of which I haven't the time to check out.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm 

Yes, baby slaves!!!! You want one? great discount, you only have to tweet my name to get 15% off and free shipping to Toronto!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm 

I wasn't supposed to let that slip...if I'm banned or mysteriously stop posting, call the police.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm 

I...can't tweet!!! I still want a baby slave. maybe when I head to Montreal on August 24?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm 

It will be another batch, but fair enough. Are you coming with Demontage? We'll hook up for some beers and poutine.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm 

Yes. Date hasn't been confirmed yet, so don't say anything over there. If this happens though it'll be quite a show...

Poutine and beers!!! That's the stuff of life...

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
It will be another batch, but fair enough. Are you coming with Demontage? We'll hook up for some beers and poutine.

I know what I'm eating tonight!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm 

Anyone who likes Summoning dig this? I programmed the drums and guitars. I'm going to have real guitars in my next release but at the point this was recorded (2008) I was just working with what little I had. This was the first Morannon track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBQkhPgm ... re=channel

By 2010 it evolved this far. Better guitars (still artificial) but I programmed better drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQslSk0g ... re=related

I want suggestions, tips, and first impressions.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:12 pm 

I like Heavy Blog Is Heavy but I think their critical sense is non-existent. I never see them give less than 4/5 to anything.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:43 pm 

Pale_Pilgrim wrote:
Not sure where else to put this, I saved this image ages ago and long since forgot who the hell the band is, I meant to check them out but have no idea who they are:

Fields of Nephilim?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 pm 

It's in the image URL, it's Medianoche.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 827  Next