Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:26 am 

The Ethereal Mirror is in my top 5 doom albums of all time for sure. Apart from that all of their albums are above average.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 am 

Nobody is allowed to hate Cathedral.
This is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v73zQ8aAVyc

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 am 

Bout the same as I remember :|

My collection

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 am 

Spoiler: show

...coz Steve French said so

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 am 

Only Cathedral I like is Forest of Equilibrium. The rest are too upbeat and stonery for my taste.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:41 am 

Just had the squadron's debrief guy come in and ask if a light in the boom refueling system is electrical or hydraulical? We told him it was, without any hesitation, completely hydraulical. These are the moments that will make me miss this job.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:58 am 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:
Just had the squadron's debrief guy come in and ask if a light in the boom refueling system is electrical or hydraulical? We told him it was, without any hesitation, completely hydraulical. These are the moments that will make me miss this job.

I'm missing something here. Is something supposed to be funny or ironic or what?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 am 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:

Don't forget to tell him about getting some left-handed hammers, a jar of grinding sparks and a one meter length of fallopian tube :-D

My collection

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 am 

Subrick wrote:
Bobby_Typhoon wrote:

I'm missing something here. Is something supposed to be funny or ironic or what?

You probably have a hydraulic nightlight.

...ummm... ...on second thought, that sounds kinda sexy...

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 am 

Subrick wrote:
Bobby_Typhoon wrote:

I'm an aircraft electrician, and the light would be elctrical while the encompassing system would be hydraulic. Him asking that was a stupid question and we found it amusing, also it's been a long week and I felt like sharing.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Don't forget to tell him about getting some left-handed hammers, a jar of grinding sparks and a one meter length of fallopian tube :-D

:lol: I once had a F-16 pilot ask me to explain Ohm's law to him during a red-ball. I just stood there with my mouth slightly open, a confused look on my face staring into the cockpit. I now keep this picture handy cause it explains things easier than any words ever could. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/ohms-law-illustrated.gif

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 am 

As my mates never cease to remind me... "These are the people defending our country."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Besides, doom albums should be lavender-scented. Everyone knows that!

Considering the album in question, an apple scent is quite fitting.

And no, my copy has never emitted any fragrances either. :|

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yep, never liked Cathedral. Hate the vocals, am unmoved by the riffs.

I can understand the vocals, but the riffs? :cry: Oh well.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 am 

Bezerko wrote:
As my mates never cease to remind me... "These are the people defending our country."

I have been in long enough to realize that the majority of pilots have no clue how the actual systems work and really, they don't need to. However they frequently like to pretend they do and then wind up sticking their foot in their mouth. Granted maintainers have our fair share of "dim bulbs" also.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:48 am 

Every branch does. I'm one of the dimmest bulbs in the RAE. ^___^

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 am 

Seems like Nicolas Cage's son is better at metal than Nicolas is at acting. Who knew?

Eyes Of Noctum is still pretty lame though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 am 

Azmodes wrote:

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yep, never liked Cathedral. Hate the vocals, am unmoved by the riffs.

I can understand the vocals, but the riffs? :cry: Oh well.

For me at least both the doom and the stoner riffs seem to be very middling. No gripping grooves for the stoner side, and the doom.has no devastating weight or even bleak moodiness, its just kinda slow. Add in stupid vocals and you've got a pretty dire experience.

Note that I am the Antitony though.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am 

Bezerko wrote:

I have moments myself... but I usually blame them on someone of lower rank than myself, cause ya know why not? :nono:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Seems like Nicolas Cage's son is better at metal than Nicolas is at acting. Who knew?

Eyes Of Noctum is still pretty lame though.

It was in the news few years back. Also, not that it counts but Will Smith was once spotted at an Ozzfest.

I decided to see what NC's son looks like and it screams of emo...
Spoiler: show

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 am 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

I have moments myself... but I usually blame them on someone of lower rank than myself, cause ya know why not? :nono:

This is why privates hate rank. Damnit Bobby. :D

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am 

What's even weirder is that Weston Coppola Cage is the bastard child of Cage and Shagrath's wife. I read somewhere that Jim Carrey, Rob Zombie, Nick Cage and Dimmu Borgir all attended Shagrath's wedding.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am 

Cathedral's debut is cool. It's just one of those albums I can only appreciate when I'm in the mood for it and henche only listen to it few times a year or so. I heard some of their stoner metal songs but wasn't impressed though - maybe I should revisit some of that stuff.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 am 

When it comes to Cathedral I enjoy most of it - A personal favourite is probably The Guessing Game though; it's bizarre and should be jarring, but instead sounds great.

It took, and is still taking, me ages to get into Forest of Equilibrium, but I'll probably get there some day. At the moment I prefer their more up-tempo offerings though - I've been meaning to listen to The Ethereal Mirror properly for a while now, but initial skimming suggested it to be great.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am 

:grr:
I wish schools would have a little bit more design practicality when it comes to their websites. I don't wanna have to drive up there just to get my schedule.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:48 am 

Sun, Mr, Mrs, Fly, Hell, Fall(ing), Time, Sinner, King(s), Little, World, Future, Stars

One internets to the person who can tell me the band that these words remind you of that im thinking of

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Sun, Mr, Mrs, Fly, Hell, Fall(ing), Time, Sinner, King(s), Little, World, Future, Stars

One internets to the person who can tell me the band that these words remind you of that im thinking of

The same band with an upcoming album that will have outrageously shitty CGI cover art. And that is quite legendary for having perhaps three good album covers out of... 15?

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am 

Bezerko wrote:

Eh, shit runs downhill as they say. After becoming an NCO I have realized that the active duty Air Force isn't for actual adults... it's for adults who wish to be coddled for an additional 20+ years of their life. I have 259 days left and then I am going guard or reserve. Or just going to sell fruit on the side of I-70, stop by if ya'll get a chance!!!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Eh, shit runs downhill as they say. After becoming an NCO I have realized that the active duty Air Force isn't for actual adults... it's for adults who wish to be coddled for an additional 20+ years of their life. I have 259 days left and then I am going guard or reserve. Or just going to sell fruit on the side of I-70, stop by if ya'll get a chance!!!

Trust me, being an NCO in the reserves is as much of a joke, if not more so. I've pm'ed you about this. Thankfully I have less time than you do. It's not in my best interest to look after 10 privates to reach 20 years in service.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
I read somewhere that Jim Carrey, Rob Zombie, Nick Cage and Dimmu Borgir all attended Shagrath's wedding.

Go home Reality, you are drunk.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 pm 

Sergei Prokofiev wrote a score to an old Soviet film called Lieutenant Kije. If you can track it down on its own, check it out. Absolutely fantastic music. Light listening, especially compared to some of his other works and those of his contemporaries, but whatever. It is a score, not a symphony. Nevertheless, good shit. Highly recommended. I hear a lot of Tchaikovsky influence, and a lot of Prokofiev's own youthful brilliance, resulting in something that sounds like Danny Elfman probably worshipped.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm 

I'm glad to see the Cathedral love in here. Don't like FoE too much but listening to it last night it sounded pretty good. Put me to sleep (in a good way). The Carnival Bizarre is definitely in my top 10 doom metal albums. I like the part on Utopian Blaster (I think) where its the cowbell 4 times and Lee Dorian sounds like he is saying "Huggy Bear oh yeah!" So awesome...

I got to get back into doom metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Besides, doom albums should be lavender-scented. Everyone knows that!

Considering the album in question, an apple scent is quite fitting.

And no, my copy has never emitted any fragrances either. :|.

Actually, I was in my bed reading the lyrics of The Carnival Bizarre and I brought some of their other cds with me, I rubbed the Garden of Unearthly Delights cd with my finger (yeah, no, don't think of anything horny here) and it actually smelled like green apple after a bit! Success!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm 

SHAMELESS PLUG: Any of you guys have/use twitter? I've got 'Toine's already but he's not very active. I feel like I occasionally say a funny thing or two and I'd like some followers who AREN'T my friends/roomies. I'll obviously follow back even if your shit sucks or isn't funny (the only reason I use twitter).

https://twitter.com/YogthSothoth

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm 

I was thinking about that Cathedral CD after reading the comments. I LOVE the idea of a scented disc that releases when it heats up. Do you think maybe you have to play it in one of those "open face" players (for lack of a better term) like in a car? I think it makes sense that if I played it on my stereo in my room the smell isn't going to be able to get out of there...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
(yeah, no, don't think of anything horny here)

Too late.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 pm 

Just dug out my copy of The Garden of Unearthly Delights, lightly scratched the design on the CD, and lo-and-behold, the CD is scented.

Well fucking hell.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Actually, I was in my bed, I rubbed with my finger, horny green apple! Success!

Please, tell me more.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
BloodSacrificeShaman, long time no talk man. How have you been?

I've been fine dude, thanks for asking. Been lurking the site since I stopped posting ages ago and decided as long as I watch my mouth, it should be cool to come back on. Feels good to start posting again though, it really is a great community.

I lurk from time to time. I don't exactly listen to metal anymore so I don't come nearly as often as I used to.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm 

It was a "phase" you goddamn poser! :-P

FasterDisaster: you know where to find me if you want moar but do no deform my comment, it was already pretty explicit!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 pm 

Haha, no phase. Just broadened my taste. I was actually up for most of the night YouTubing random death metal bands. If I still had a computer, I'd listen to metal more often probably.

I think I'm becoming you in reverse, Antoine.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 pm 

fetalfeast wrote:
I think I'm becoming you in reverse, Antoine.

That can be construed in a whole lotta different ways :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764 ... 827  Next