Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm 

That's what re-usable bags are for Zodi.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 pm 

What do other people here listen to besides metal? For me, what I come to this website for, metal, I feel like it's a niche that I have found. I can find endless albums that just sound good to me. This shouldn't come as astonishing, or a great surprise to anyone on this website, obviously. What I am very curious about how to find some other kinds of music. It's feels very daunting. Not long ago, I went through a phase for about week where I became focused on it. I started listening to a lot of /mu/ essentials, actually watching the needle drop's reviews (besides the metal ones); which actually did yield one album I love, which was BADBADNOTGOOD BBNG2. I dug through a lot of genres rateyourmusic.

I have no clue where to begin find music that I like. Classical is very hit or miss and often sounds boring. Jazz is all too similar, and usually just plainly isn't my thing. I can only tolerate rap for so long (when it's something like madvillain). To me, a classic album seems like a be all end all kind of thing. I can only get into so much of pink floyd or the beatles, the doors, and jimi hendrix until I get bored of them, and feel like I don't want to listen to them for another year or so. There's lot's more stuff I have explored, if very lightly. I guess the prospect of trying to get into something from the top down just seems a little crazy to me. It feels like there's nowhere to even start looking.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:49 pm 

Try moving backwards. Say, for example, you like Metallica. Besides the obvious NWOBHM, they were influenced by bands like the Misfits and Discharge. The Misfits (seemed) to be influenced by other punk acts like the Ramones and so forth.

Last edited by WaywardSon on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm 

Non-metal stuff I like includes certain folk music, old school gangster rap (from around the mid-late 80's up to mid 90's), a score of video game and film soundtracks as well as a handful of nu-metal bands (whether you truly consider that non-metal or what, is up to you). I do have an interest in possibly expanding my horizons into classical, but it's very intimidating. Other than that, there isn't much that instantly comes to mind. A few side projects, such as Karl Sanders' solo stuff, but not much else.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 am 

Best way to introduce yourself to classical music is Disney's Fantasia. It's where my interest in classical music began and it's just a damn good movie as well.

Plus the opening number in the movie is Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which in my opinion is the greatest piece of music ever written.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am 

Subrick wrote:
Best way to introduce yourself to classical music is Disney's Fantasia. It's where my interest in classical music began and it's just a damn good movie as well.

Plus the opening number in the movie is Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which in my opinion is the greatest piece of music ever written.

Wasn't there two versions of that movie? I think there was one like many decades ago and fantasia 2000. Which one do you recommend?

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 am 

Christ, it's 45 degrees Celcius outside. I don't think I've ever seen a day get this hot in a long while. I think I know what I'm doing today, staying indoors with the windows closed and fans on full blast.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 am 

It's -20 right now, hehe, still I wouldn't trade this for your weather!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 am 

This morning it was in the 70s and now its in like the 40s or something - Florida weather, man.

New Helloween is great! Some of their most old school melodies in years.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:51 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Christ, it's 45 degrees Celcius outside. I don't think I've ever seen a day get this hot in a long while. I think I know what I'm doing today, staying indoors with the windows closed and fans on full blast.

Down in Hobart, it was 41 a couple of weeks ago - the hottest it has been here in Tas for over a century, no wonder there's so many bushfires lately. The heat is getting pretty crazy indeed.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 am 

A wonderful day of 26 degrees celcius with a nice breeze here today. :D Better not rain tonight though. It was about 45 yesterday.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:55 am 

Forty fucking two where I'm at, and I worked my day off (coz I'm greedy) in this shit for seven hours. It would have been pushing 45+ in my goddamn workshop! :fuck: :grr: :tongue: :finger:

My collection

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 am 

Right now it's about 40*F. It was probably around 60~65 all day today with no wind, which makes for nice weather here. If it keeps up I'm going hiking this weekend.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am 

It's 27 here. Gotta love that New England schizo weather.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am 

Right here it just started snowing, it hasn't snowed here for around over a year.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 am 

It snowed here a couple days ago. Spent a good 3 hours yesterday shoveling the entire stupid driveway. At least after that my back wasn't hurting as much as it was after scraping the driveway of ice last week. Plus it's good exercise and I'm actively trying to lose weight so any sort of strenuous physical activity is good.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 am 

I DON'T WANNA HEAR 'BOUT YOUR SNOW!!! :fuck:

My collection

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 am 

Snow wankers. It's the hottest day on record where I am. It actually feels like I'm melting. :grr:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:54 am 

You southern hemisphere people have your seasons inverted, so of course it's hot as balls there.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:00 am 

Subrick wrote:
You southern hemisphere people have your seasons inverted, so of course it's hot as balls there.

Thanks, no one was aware!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 am 

Subrick wrote:

My point is though even for us 'Strayans it's still fucking ludicrously hot this summer. Anything in the mid 40's (Celsius) is unbearable. It's a murderous, suffocating, punishing hell.

My collection

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:04 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Subrick wrote:

My point is though even for us 'Strayans it's still fucking ludicrously hot this summer. Anything in the mid 40's (Celsius) is unbearable. It's a murderous, suffocating, punishing hell.

Yeah this summer for us (well, midwest for sure) was the same. Week after week of 100 F + weather.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 am 

Subrick wrote:

We kind of look like old man discussing only the weather here (which BTW is just fine in Mexico City, just fine...)...

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:08 am 

I don't mind the snow in New England. I actually quite like it, but wind pisses me the fuck off. Its like getting slapped in the face by the coldest air on earth. Sucks when I gotta walk a mile across campus to get to class...

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 am 

Mmmmmm.... coldest air on earth...

Fuck beer tonight, it's G+T weather :nods:

My collection

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Mmmmmm.... coldest air on earth...

Its as if the wind borrows Arctic air for when I am outside, just to hit me in the face with it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 am 

That sounds great right about now. I'll have half a metric ton of it thanks.

We ARE expecting a southerly storm later today (huge thunder, lightning - the whole works :hyper: ) which will eventually cool things down ten degrees or more... hopefully...

My collection

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 am 

There's snow? I live in Pennsylvania, and it's barely snowed for shit!

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 am 

Ahh, to be honest, I'd rather be sweltering hot than freezing cold. To me, heat has always been more annoying and frustrating, being all sweaty and shit and is really just irritating and uncomfortable at worst. Where as the cold can be downright painful. I found that out when I was back in the cadets (yeah, don't ask) and we were up at 5:30 AM in the forest. I actually had to receive medical attention due to how fucking frozen I was, I swear I wasn't too far away from some kind of mild frostbite on my fingers. I suppose you have sunburn on the heat side, but you can just use aloe vera or simply blow on it for it to help, with say having frozen-as-fuck fingers, you could dangle them in front of a fire and they hurt even more.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot and haven't experienced enough first hand to form a proper opinion on the subject, but from the little (horrible) I HAVE experienced, I'd take this annoying sweaty heat anyday.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 am 

Gloves are handy. It's -20 right now, you dress accordingly and you're fine. I was listening to At the Heart of Winter on my way home, I was fighting the cold with Abbath, t'was epic.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:04 am 

You don't fight the cold with Abbath, Tony. You embrace it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Thanks, no one was aware!

Haha.

Anyway, I had four long island iced teas and now I have a weird metallic taste in my mouth. Also, the drinks were diluted as hell. What a ripoff.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 am 

Pat Robertson says something offensive. Again. I mean, beyond his usual, typical offensiveness, now he's going into full-blown misogyny. Awesome.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 am 

huh. People actually still pay attention to that guy?

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 am 

Was that really so bad? I was expecting to see worse. Even though his logic is applied to women it could easily have been directed towards men, anyways even if people still watch this dude I doubt there's many functionally fucking couples that would look to an 80 year reverend for romantic advice. No harm there.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Gloves are handy. It's -20 right now, you dress accordingly and you're fine. I was listening to At the Heart of Winter on my way home, I was fighting the cold with Abbath, t'was epic.

Holy shit and I thought it was bad in Chicago but -20 thats just crazy.

Morrigan wrote:
Pat Robertson says something offensive. Again. I mean, beyond his usual, typical offensiveness, now he's going into full-blown misogyny. Awesome.

That bit at the end is just priceless "Right Wing Watch.org a project of people for the American way" wtf man wtf?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Snow wankers. It's the hottest day on record where I am. It actually feels like I'm melting. :grr:

I drove back from Melbourne so I'm super glad I missed it. It got to 45C at my house, which broke records. So lucky I got back at 9pm instead of in the day time. How did you survive? Ice cream in your boxers?

Morrigan wrote:

I don't know this guy but that's pretty presumptuous to blame the mother. Probably best not to take him seriously (not that I assume you would in the first place, anyway).

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 am 

I'm still not getting why people seem to worship Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes. I mean it doesn't suck...but there's nothing particularly amazing about it. The riffs aren't anything excellent, compositions are fairly tight but kind of forgettable, atmosphere is kind of nowhere in particular, and the album as a whole has no sense of flow at all. :| What gives.

Here's some Evoken instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGo8AEkySvs

I think I need to look more into Spectral Lore... not that that has anything to do with Evoken.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am 

You have no idea how depressing it is to have people in your family who think Pat Robertson is wise. :ugh:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 pm 

You poor soul.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769 ... 827  Next